Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 01:51 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,307,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
not to mention the black widows...

No big deal, as I gently scoop 'em up clad with leather gloves and a Ball jar and transfer them into the garden area.

They're so timid that you'd have to beg 'em to bite ya.

My sister in law had a HUGE problem with scorps in her house in Glendale. Washing machine, front porch, and EGADS!

One in her bed.

Haven't seen one around here.

I like the 6 ft walls as we can skinny dip anytime.

But I do miss the openness.

We also lived in Glendale, in Phase II of Arrowhead Ranch around 79th and Union Hills. We just found the two bark scorpions in our garage, and we never had one in the house (thank God, or I probably would have had a massive coronary on the spot and would be buried in Phoenix right now, lol), which I attribute to the fact that we had two indoor cats. I have read over on the AZ forum that scorpions will stay away if you have cats.

We never ran into any scary spiders or snakes in AZ, again, thank God!

You must live out a little ways. If we had skinny dipped, even with our block walls, the neighbors would have had prime viewing from their second floor windows and would have been blinded by our Michigan white backsides, lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 12:46 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,083,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
We also lived in Glendale, in Phase II of Arrowhead Ranch around 79th and Union Hills. We just found the two bark scorpions in our garage, and we never had one in the house (thank God, or I probably would have had a massive coronary on the spot and would be buried in Phoenix right now, lol), which I attribute to the fact that we had two indoor cats. I have read over on the AZ forum that scorpions will stay away if you have cats.

We never ran into any scary spiders or snakes in AZ, again, thank God!

You must live out a little ways. If we had skinny dipped, even with our block walls, the neighbors would have had prime viewing from their second floor windows and would have been blinded by our Michigan white backsides, lol!
We live in Phoenix on the Glendale line.....Peoria & 39th Ave. All of the homes in our subdivision are single story with small backyards. Not the postage stamp sized ones in the new developments though. Thank goodness. Ours is a 1700 sq ft home; we like to live below our means.... If one of us gets sick and can't work, we get to keep our house. Hopefully.

While the homes are closer together than in Michigan, those 6 ft walls tend to make things better. It takes some getting used to because I've never had a fence, let alone a wall separating me from my neighbors.

In a previous post I compared rents between MI & AZ.....pretty much the same (apts). So today I compared home prices between my neighborhood here and my old one in Brighton, MI.

I am surprised. While I'm in touch with friends and family in the Brighton area and get to hear the horror stories about how much home values have gone down, it ain't nuthin' compared to here. Sure, there are some good deals in my old hometown, but either Brighton is still considered a "hot" area for real estate or folks are still livin' in the '90's.

Keep in mind that Phoenix is a mess regarding home values. So my perception of what a house should cost lately might be different than those in my old stomping grounds.

There is nothing in Brighton that is less than $200k that I would consider purchasing. BTW Brighton is 50 miles NW of Motown; at the intersection of I-96 and U.S. 23 for those "not in the know".

My youngest sister purchased a home just north of Brighton for $280k in 2004. It'd prob'ly sell for the same here back then. The jury's still out on what they could sell it for today, but I'd guess $230k. Out here that house would fetch about $160k. Again, Phoenix is a mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan