Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are we in a recession or depression?
Recession 12 19.05%
Depression 51 80.95%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 01:02 AM

25 posts, read 51,111 times

Advertisements

Yes,that is the truth that they are afraid of telling it.Michigan does have a couple if not a dozen other states who are in depression.So what is the breaker?I think the weather and the youngsters future which is pulling the families out of Michigan.I have lost 110k on my house from this ponzi scheme and they will probably come after to garnish the wages if i dump this house.I do not think they will get anything because we are barely surviving and the loan agreement looks to be illegit.Now,it is better to be in texas and work two jobs for 7,50 an hour than nothing at all.I am assuming that theren`t many here from southeast Michigan.It`s a dead squalor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 01:18 AM

864 posts, read 1,720,468 times
Well, in a way things are worse now than in the Great Depression. The National debt is much higher even after adjusting the numbers for inflation. Individual debt is also much higher -- people didn't have the ability to put themselves in debt via Credit Cards or lines of credit from their house back during the Depression. Individuals might have felt the sting of it more because of all the social programs now but those programs are also one of the reasons we have all of this debt. I don't see a way out of the current one that our politicians would find acceptable. Printing more money and more borrowing will just ultimately make things worse. But then again, the government just made things worse last time so you can't really expect anything better this time around.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:55 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
I'd say the country as a whole is only in a recession, thanks to the stimulus package, but we're in the same shape as we were in 1983 here so as far as I'm concerned, Michigan is in a depression.

To add to what SparrowTemp just posted: We also have a lot more single-parent families perpetually one paycheck away from disaster, and MANY more families that depend on two incomes to make it.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:05 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
Well, in a way things are worse now than in the Great Depression. The National debt is much higher even after adjusting the numbers for inflation. Individual debt is also much higher -- people didn't have the ability to put themselves in debt via Credit Cards or lines of credit from their house back during the Depression. Individuals might have felt the sting of it more because of all the social programs now but those programs are also one of the reasons we have all of this debt. I don't see a way out of the current one that our politicians would find acceptable. Printing more money and more borrowing will just ultimately make things worse. But then again, the government just made things worse last time so you can't really expect anything better this time around.
Imagine people in the Great Depression getting already cooked expensive food delivered right to their door, ready to eat?

I still say people today have no clue what a real depression means -- and it sure doesn't mean abundant food stamps to buy food that working people can't afford:

Fact Finder: Why Schwans on Food Stamps? : News : WPBN TV 7&4

Schwans with food stamps. Some depression!

Old 12-07-2009, 10:37 PM

25 posts, read 51,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Imagine people in the Great Depression getting already cooked expensive food delivered right to their door, ready to eat?

I still say people today have no clue what a real depression means -- and it sure doesn't mean abundant food stamps to buy food that working people can't afford:

Fact Finder: Why Schwans on Food Stamps? : News : WPBN TV 7&4

Schwans with food stamps. Some depression!
Government allowance per person is only 2-5 dollars a month.What clue?
America can afford to feed 3 billion people.
You still can`t find a job in Michigan...period...

Old 12-07-2009, 10:56 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,655,768 times
Yea no doubt about that on Michigan, There just isn't anything to be had anywhere and it isn't improving. Your out of work here you maize well forget it. your cooked. Just waiting for my Unemployment to run out now a little ways down the road this year. Everything I worked for, For 28 years all down the drain. What really sucks none of this was my doing and I always lived within my means. I'm sorry this is a Depression in this state. Just because we can eat while we are getting our checks right now after that runs out then what for many of people. Back to Mom and Dads for me, Just what I wanted at 43.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:43 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
When the government unemployment handouts run out, that's when the depression starts.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:54 PM

199 posts, read 543,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I'd say the country as a whole is only in a recession, thanks to the stimulus package, but we're in the same shape as we were in 1983 here so as far as I'm concerned, Michigan is in a depression.
Where's the proof that the stimulus package has done anything? The only thing I have seen is a line graph predicting the trend with and without the stimulus. The current unemployment rate has surpassed the without line so as far as I'm concerned it has done little to help the situation.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:25 AM

26 posts, read 43,300 times
That is exactly how this forum is run as well.Too much cheerleading,but no cigar.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:44 AM

72 posts, read 148,267 times
The media is trying to pound it into our heads that the recession is over and problems are subsiding. I however don't believe it, i dont have anymore money than i used to, on the brink of being laid off, Idont see houses selling any faster than they had been, and there is never anymore jobs open in Michigan.

What gives?

Why and how do they predict this recession is over with?

Prices are starting to go back up again.......why? Its ridiculous, if i lose my job this state will be history for me and my family......as there is no way i will be able to keep my house and/or find another decent paying job in the area that I will be able to pay a mortgage on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan