Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are we in a recession or depression?
Recession 12 19.05%
Depression 51 80.95%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 01:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,760 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what everyone thinks. I have fallen on hard times myself. Never mind you I have several degrees. Apparently that is no longer a safety net. I send out resumes everyday, to the point where I getting exhausted. I don't know what to do anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 06:36 AM

25 posts, read 51,131 times
If you must know...even doctors can`t find jobs here.I am going to become a doctor if there is money to be made.Other options do not look so good,but hey what the hell

Old 12-04-2009, 06:58 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo2see View Post
If you must know...even doctors can`t find jobs here.I am going to become a doctor if there is money to be made.Other options do not look so good,but hey what the hell
If the healthcare bill goes though, try being a DVM. You will make more.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:58 AM

760 posts, read 2,441,178 times
If you have a job you are experiencing a recession.
If you don't have a job you are experiencing a depression.

Having said that, I would say the southeast area of Michigan is in a depression, the rest of Michigan is in a recession.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:12 PM

72 posts, read 148,297 times
The highest unemployment is in the U.P......how could the southeast be solely in a depression? Baraga County in the U.P. has 24.3% unemployment right now, its not just downstate....its statewide.....and there is a problem.

I think its more of a widespread depression than a recession.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:45 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,656,171 times
No doubt in my mind Michigan is in a Depression. I really feel no hope of finding a job here. More then half way through Unemployment and barely a response from applying for jobs. One interview in one year does not leave me much hope of saving my house.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:03 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
There is no definition for a depression, so you can call it whatever you want.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:14 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,329 times
It's a big-time recession...which is depressing.
Detroit and environs might qualify as a Depression...certainly one of the hardest hit areas of the country. This doesn't just come from the current economic upheaval...it's been coming for years due to the incredible arrogance and mis-management of the auto companies. Market share, consumer opinions, and business in general for the formerly Big 3 has been falling for years, so when the country gets a cold, Detroit gets pneumonia (or H1N1).
Not to mention the head-spinning mis-management of the City of Detroit, which drags the whole state down with it. There are positive signs of change, like Mayor Bing, the new head of schools (Mr. Bob) who is cleaning house, changes in the City charter, and the dead wood being trimmed from the City Council.
Too bad all of that didn't happen 10 years ago.
I love Michigan (yes, even Detroit) and hope it turns around a lot faster than is projected.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:05 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAtMichigan View Post
Just wondering what everyone thinks. I have fallen on hard times myself. Never mind you I have several degrees. Apparently that is no longer a safety net. I send out resumes everyday, to the point where I getting exhausted. I don't know what to do anymore.
I know how you feel. I graduated from Western in June, and I still haven't been able to find a full time job. I stopped looking after three months of futility, only to start again a few weeks ago. I just moved in with family in Georgia, but then I got a call back from a company in South Bend, so I'll be back here at least until next week. If they don't hire me then it's back to GA to try my luck there. This truly sucks.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:10 PM

760 posts, read 2,441,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwinn_raptor View Post
The highest unemployment is in the U.P......how could the southeast be solely in a depression? Baraga County in the U.P. has 24.3% unemployment right now, its not just downstate....its statewide.....and there is a problem.

I think its more of a widespread depression than a recession.

Baraga county is a depressed rural area. Many areas of the U.P. have been for a looong time and will continue to be long after the rest of Michigan picks up. Hardly what the staticians take into account when determining a recession/depression over the whole state.

Both of our extended families are spread out all over the western half of Michigan (wish some in the central region). In that group there are only two people we know who are unemployed.
Most of the hard sharp numbers regarding the skyrocketing unemployment, foreclosures, lack of new jobs, etc. are from the southeast corner of Michigan.

There are obviously still jobs in Michigan, just look at all the posts in recent months by outsiders moving here due to their accepting jobs in the state.
If any individuals particular field is not doing well..... then they should either switch careers for now or go where their careers ARE doing well.
We've been there, done that. So has most of my family which is why we were so adaptable this time around (my family was hit hard in the early 80's recession).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan