Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 04:07 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,779,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradysbubba View Post
No we are saying we will not hang out at the bar as long or sit in the restaurant as long, which means we will order less items and that will reduce the amount sold, and that will hurt revenue and no business wants to take any loss in this already struggling economy.

To list those places of business as comparisons, is just plain ignorance.
Seriously? You're going to order fewer drinks and go home earlier because you can't smoke in the bar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 04:16 PM
YAZ

7,698 posts, read 14,020,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michsnowlvr View Post
My opinion on the matter:

1 in 5 people smoke. That is 20%. That IS a minority. Do you really think if this issue was put on a ballot that people would vote AGAINST a ban? 37 other states already have smoking bans. Bar owners in all 37 states tried to say it would hurt business. In all 37 states it HAS NOT hurt business. Enough said

Put it to a referendum anyway. Let the voters decide.

'nuff said.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:15 PM

137 posts, read 330,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michsnowlvr View Post
Id love to see a link that states this. I dont believe it. I have read nothing but good on the bans and how it DOES NOT hurt business. That is the weakest argument of all IMO because it is so untrue. The few smokers that I hang out with dont even smoke in their own homes....so all of this "lost" business is such a bs excuse and a huge cop out. People will STILL go to the bars for drinking, socializing, flirting, shooting pool, etc, and they will smoke outside, just as many of them already do at their own homes.
That is the problem....the law prevents smoking- even outside. You cannot sit out on the patio or beer garden- that many bars have, and smoke. You cannot sit in your vehicle and smoke as long as it is on the property. Now do you understand the frustration here? A little compromise would have prevented all the bickering, but nooo, they know what is best for everyone. Outdoor smoking is now banned too....come on now!

Old 12-16-2009, 06:27 PM

199 posts, read 541,687 times
Loma Linda, CA, July 25, 2008 banned on all sidewalks, streets, common areas in shopping centers, bus stops, parks, restaurant patios, theaters, City Hall, and 80% of motel rooms and apartment units. Exempts the federally-controlled VA hospital grounds, and smoking in cars traveling in the city.

Smoking and driving will be banned next. It's already started.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:44 PM

111 posts, read 264,974 times
As an ex-smoker, the temptation to smoke is sometimes there even after 10 years. These bans are actually a good thing to me personally, because I see people huddling in a corner sneaking a smoke when it's raining or snowing or whatever (I live in Colorado, a no smoking state) and frankly, it looks pretty pathetic. You can't really enjoy smoking as much anymore, because it is a big inconvenience. You have to make time to smoke instead of just smoking whenever and wherever you feel like it like 20 years ago. This alone helps me to stay on the wagon, not to mention health, the money, being looked down upon by society, etc. I used to enjoy smoking and as I said, I still get tempted occasionally, but it's just not worth it anymore on so many levels. So these bans are good not only for non-smokers, but also because it motivates smokers to quit and it helps ex smokers to stay quit.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:45 PM

449 posts, read 931,169 times
The thing that most confuses me is how and why people think it is OK to do something that is harmful to those around them. IDK how harmful second hand smoke is but I do know that I am allergic to smoke. It makes my eyes burn and my sinuses close up tighter than a drum. And of course we all know it soils people's clothes.

So, I'm wondering - what other things that harm people and their property do people think it is OK to do? Would it be OK to spray paint something in a public parking lot and get over spray on everyone's cars? Couldn't I argue that I have a right to spray paint and you don't have to park there? What is the difference? What if I decided to burn tires in my front yard causing massive plumbs of toxic black smoke, would that also be OK? What if I just decided to throw mud at people? Couldn't I just argue that I have a right to throw mud and you can choose to move?

We are not talking about being annoying. We are not talking about flatulence or BO, we are talking about a toxic substance that potentially causes cancer, makes people ill and leaves a damaging residue on people's clothing.

I just can't imagine why it is so hard to understand that you just can not do things that that harm people's health or property when that person is in a place they have a right to be.

Again, in what other ways do you feel entitled to harm others and damage their property?

Old 12-16-2009, 07:47 PM

939 posts, read 2,672,657 times
That is such a silly statement, it barely warrants a response

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradysbubba View Post
Well I lived in Louisville and this passed last year and they have recorded a 30% loss in revenue at bars and night clubs, restaurants we not as much but were effected.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:34 AM

902 posts, read 1,920,256 times
I don't think this new law pertains to smoking in your car , home , at the bus stop , walking down the street . I'm not so sure as of yet the law prohibits smoking in outside patio's , or hotels/motels as some of those provide certain rooms/wings for smokers , I'm assuming the hotels/motels will be 100% smoke free . Myself as a smoker will just deal with the new law and take my smoke outside . We may have to make up for lost cigarette tax revenue , by raising taxes on beer , wine , liquor , which hasn't been touched in 50 years when it was lowered .

Old 12-17-2009, 11:26 AM

55 posts, read 100,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior 88 fan View Post
Everyone here is fighting over the smell of clothes and missing the point; another right - whether you participate or agree with it - was removed through lifestyle legislation. No vote by the people, just "We know what is best for you" and that should be getting everyones attention.

Just wanted to post your comments again Junior fan,So everyone can read it again.Theres a real lack of commen sense being spewed out regarding this topic,( can I throw mud at you? Paint your car? Fart in the bar......give me a break......idiotic.) It was nice to see there is still some clear headed,free thinking americans out there,Junior fan.

I made a comment earlier about driving a car and poluting the planet( ie:killing us all) and it was ,duh,dismissed as ilogical....Of course,you would never think of not driving.....cause your benifiting from it. All you idiots making arguments about how smokers are killing you,please wake up and smell the radiation.....I must say though,It's always entertaining to witness the stupidity around us.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:35 AM

55 posts, read 100,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edub View Post
The thing that most confuses me is how and why people think it is OK to do something that is harmful to those around them. IDK how harmful second hand smoke is but I do know that I am allergic to smoke. It makes my eyes burn and my sinuses close up tighter than a drum. And of course we all know it soils people's clothes.

So, I'm wondering - what other things that harm people and their property do people think it is OK to do? Would it be OK to spray paint something in a public parking lot and get over spray on everyone's cars? Couldn't I argue that I have a right to spray paint and you don't have to park there? What is the difference? What if I decided to burn tires in my front yard causing massive plumbs of toxic black smoke, would that also be OK? What if I just decided to throw mud at people? Couldn't I just argue that I have a right to throw mud and you can choose to move?

We are not talking about being annoying. We are not talking about flatulence or BO, we are talking about a toxic substance that potentially causes cancer, makes people ill and leaves a damaging residue on people's clothing.

I just can't imagine why it is so hard to understand that you just can not do things that that harm people's health or property when that person is in a place they have a right to be.

Again, in what other ways do you feel entitled to harm others and damage their property?

Hmmmm,other ways to harm people.....Burning gas to travel,using electricity created by burning coal....drinking water from plastic bottles and throwing them away....mowing your grass......texting/talking while driving.............strange.......I guess we should ban all of these things......
If smoking makes you sick,and yet you choose to go to a bar were Free Americans are smoking,why don't you just stay home and suck on your tailpipe.
Whatever happened to freedom,anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan