Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 05:24 PM

63 posts, read 182,925 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Tenn in Aug and I am very homesick. I lived in Traverse City for the past 6 years and I already want to ge back. Even the 20 inches of snow and -40 degrees sounds good to me. Has anybody else moved recently and if so how long until your not homesick. I live in a nice area, have a good job and a great house but I really miss Michigan. When will the state turn around so we can all move back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 05:32 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,640,116 times
I don't know when the state will turn around, but I can totally understand missing Traverse City. I was just there yesterday, and I have always loved TC. It's a real gem of Michigan. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you will be able to move back to Michigan if you continue to miss it so much.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:48 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,896,967 times
Awe..very sorry you had to leave! We have our eye on TC in the next year or so, and I can imagine how hard it must be for you to have left such a beautiful area. As far as things turning around, you will get many different answers, but really there is no way to say. My personnel gut feeling is in about 4-5 years we will have hit bottom and be on the upswing. Why? Because there is real pride in this state, and a real wanting to turn things around. You cant keep a great state down!
Good luck!!

also, not sure if you watch HGTV, but Carter Oosterhouse who is from TC, will air an hour long episode in which he does two remodeling projects in Tc. One on a house, and one on the TC firehouse. It already aired once, but will air again on HGTV on Dec. 24th at 9 pm I believe. I did see it, and its awesome!!
http://www.mynorth.com/My-North/Marc...Traverse-City/

Last edited by michmoldman; 12-14-2009 at 06:04 PM..

Old 12-14-2009, 06:06 PM

550 posts, read 2,051,930 times
sorry to say, but the homesickness never ends!!!
I've lived out east for four years now...and I never stop talking about back home......I cannot wait to fly into Detroit and Drive up to cheboygan next wednesday!!! If I cannot move back then my ultimate goal is to have a vacation place in or near Cheboygan!......
I talk it up so much many of my older teacher friends want to retire in Cheboygan now

Old 12-14-2009, 06:35 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Moved away back in 1987 and just couldn't forget what I had in MI. Spent almost 18 years in Maine and am so glad to be back home in Michigan; for good.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:17 PM

864 posts, read 1,719,920 times
I guess it depends on your perspective; I think some people are more prone to homesickness than others. I lived in the NW lower peninsula, GR, and the Lansing area and didn't miss MI that much after leaving. I missed family and acquaintances but not the state as such. I'm visiting next week for the first time since moving but don't expect any urge to want to come back. The state is divided in such a way that there are good places to work and good places to live but not much crossover. Unemployment is now high everywhere in the state so that is not a draw. And if you are not a fan of cold weather, MI is not appealing for half the year. I like the natural beauty during the summers in MI though. If you look around wherever you are though, you can always find things to like and dislike. I'm sure there are things in TN to like -- focus on them. Objectively look at the advantages and disadvantages of where you are vs MI -- when the disadvantages are higher you should move back.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:12 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue1231 View Post
I just moved to Tenn in Aug and I am very homesick. I lived in Traverse City for the past 6 years and I already want to ge back.
Traverse City is such a great area I don't blame you for wanting to come back. I'd miss the changing of the seasons down there where you're at too. I hope you don't have to wait too long....maybe a year is my guess.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:28 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
I know how you feel. I'm in the process of moving to Georgia. I miss Michigan already, and I haven't even physically left yet. I wish our economy wasn't so horrible.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:53 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue1231 View Post
I just moved to Tenn in Aug and I am very homesick. I lived in Traverse City for the past 6 years and I already want to ge back. Even the 20 inches of snow and -40 degrees sounds good to me. Has anybody else moved recently and if so how long until your not homesick. I live in a nice area, have a good job and a great house but I really miss Michigan. When will the state turn around so we can all move back?
When I left I was homesick for about two weeks. I think it all depends on the person, how flexible and open they are to new adventures. If you sit huddled in your new house and don't get out and explore the new area, find out what there is, what it has to offer, you'll always be homesick.

In fact I moved away, and after a few years moved back and was homesick for the other place so I moved away again and probably for good.

You can find things to like and enjoy about just any place, some more than others of course. But - it shouldn't be only about money but being miserable, if you really miss Traverse City then just go back.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:59 AM

199 posts, read 543,017 times
I've lived out of the state for almost 2 years and I'm about to move to a southern state. I'm focusing on the positives and hoping for the best. The job and money will be good, way better then anything I've found in Michigan. I'll miss my family but I'm not going to sit around waiting for the states economy to get better.

Try to pick up a new hobby, make some friends, get some experience and save up some money. Things will get better and you will hopefully be set financially when you decide to move back to the Great Lake State. The experience might pay off as well since you took a risk and moved across the country to better yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan