Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 07:53 AM

336 posts, read 908,089 times

Advertisements

1. Please point out where ANYONE said that the college/cultural area is the "safest area in Flint." I think you'll find out what we said was it was "reasonably safe." If I was going to point out the safest part of Flint it would be the westside also known as the Miller Rd mansions.

2. My neighborhood is quite safe. I've lived here 32 years, and I can count on one hand the number of incidences I've experienced, and the only thing they endangered was my pocketbook.

3. I can easily come up with a dozen other places that are more dangerous than Flint, MI. Flint isn't even on the Forbes list anymore, due to our population decline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 09:04 AM

Morgan Quitno Press - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you look at the assessed metropolitan areas which requires no minimum population Flint is ranked #14, lower than Saginaw. Flint moves up the list when you remove the cities with populations less than 75,000.

Oddly Detroit and Chicago are missing.

"Cities of Illinois are not included in this ranking, due to a disparity in the way Illinois State police and the FBI report rape cases. Other cities may be excluded because of lack of some data."

Of course your perspective of the city would change if you are the victim of violent crime. I'm sure the people of Columbine and Blacksburg, VA thought their communities were very safe until some psychopath murdered their children.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:46 AM

30 posts, read 66,723 times
Thank you Tricia819. I didn't realize it was a debate. I was simply stateing an opinion and speaking of something horrible I witnessed last weak. Our views of the city differ I can agree to disagree. People post questions to get various opinions from people. I have lived in Flint 40 yrs I see the change and I stated how I feel.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:01 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,770,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbarron View Post
You say Flint is not that bad or you've seen worst until the day someone robs, rapes, or kills you or someone close to you. Then it will be the worst city in the country. And I'm aware muggings happen everywhere my point was that people proclaim the college/cultural area is the safest part of the city and this is where the mugging of the elderly woman took place. People say steer clear of the north end or over by hurley hospital and you'll be fine BS no part of this little city is safe.
What a tragic story. Here are two similar crimes that happen last week: two woman robbed at gunpoint.
Woman robbed at gunpoint at her Flint home | MLive.com

Woman robbed in Flint | MLive.com

Old 06-22-2010, 09:01 PM

It's just really sad that people have to focus on the negative. There are good things going on here too, but of course you never hear about any of that.

You would think the people who live here would want companies to invest, and the middle class to come back. Why should they when even the city's residents don't have anything good to say about their city? Too many people seem resigned to just leave the city to the thugs and lowlifes.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,479 times
i lived in flint most my life and its always been bad and it still is to this very day if not worse i had to get out of there before my kids ended up gettin shot

Old 06-23-2010, 05:56 AM

Tricia819 you insist on makeing this subject an argument. What positives are there to foucus on? Please if you can name five. I'm pretty sure the majority of us that are still here and trying to make it possible to move away from here. In the mean time you stick around and search for positives but be careful in doing so.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:51 PM

362 posts, read 695,643 times
I don't live in Flint but live near enough I go there a lot.
Up to last November My wife was going there every day either to McClarin or the cancer institute off Ballinger. If I felt it wasn't a safe enough city I would have insisted that a cancer doctor be found for the Grand Blac Genisis Hospital area instead. If you have lived there for 40 years in fear and feel it is an unsafe city Your just plain and simple a ding bat. I never could understand how some one could live in fear of there life and property when a move to some other area would give them peace of mind all around. Every hear of not pooping in your own bed?

In fact I find it worsce than bitching about winter. At least you can be happy half the year in reguards to winter.

There are many things in Flint to be proud of. The school for the Deaf, Slone, Whitting, The Crim, Back to the Bricks and fine dinning down town.

Of course It isn't as peachy as Toronto, but I can find news storys of muggings there even.

Part of what is happening in Flint today is the jobs that paid high wages are gone. The taxes collected to fund Police and Fire just isn't there any longer. Many of the people who still live there are retires on a fixed income and unable to do a lot of fixing up them selves. People do not take responciablity for teaching their children respect and manners. Ya I hear the same story all over the place from parents, we both have to work to make a living. Well you shouldn't of had children then.

If I waqnted to live in a city Flint is my choice. Much better than Detroit and Grand Rapids even while Lansing is a close second choice to Flint.

Al

Old 06-23-2010, 05:06 PM

16 posts, read 80,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia819 View Post
Link please...? Campus security sends notices out whenever there are incidences on campus, and I haven't gotten any in quite awhile.
No problem...from last year..

University of Michigan-Flint students robbed near First Street Residence Hall | MLive.com

Recently...

UM-Flint student allegedly attacked : News : WEYI NBC25

Cell phone taken from U of M Flint student : News : WNWO NBC24

Kettering too...

Students robbed while painting Kettering bulldog | MLive.com

Flint: College Town or Michigan's Frown? - News (http://media.www.the-technician.org/media/storage/paper1323/news/2010/03/02/News/Flint.College.Town.Or.Michigans.Frown-3882056.shtml - broken link)

This blows holes in all this garbage of 'mind your own business and you'll be fine' BS. These people WERE minding their own business and look what happened. Notwithstanding all the other people 'minding their own business' that this happens to each and everyday...innocent people that become victims of some a****** that sees an easy mark. As it was mentioned before, those people that 'flash' money, jewelry and/or anything else of moderate value....these people are pretty much asking to be robbed. They might as well have a neon sign over their heads that says "Victim Here!"

Oh, the difference between the good/bad neighborhoods? Ok, I can give a little on that. But you'll have to explain something to me...when you live in a part of town where the majority of people are (for the lack of better terminology at this moment) 'have-nots'...what is there left to rob? One finds it rather difficult to rob someone else that has nothing of value to take. Potential criminals have to go where the money is...this is simple demographics.

All this "Flint isn't that bad compared to..." is a feeble attempt at plowing a load of "cow manure" over the city in hopes something beautiful will grow! Just face it, it isn't going to happen anytime soon. I have known too many people that have just covered their eyes and said 'No, no, no...this isn't REALLY happening here!" But yes indeed, it is. If anyone has ever felt uneasy or uncomfortable when someone 'odd' is behind you in the grocery line, locked your car doors when you see someone 'suspicious' walk by or looked over your shoulder as you're using the ATM, you KNOW what I'm talking about...you just downplay it. If anyone says they don't, they're not being proactive and are actually surprised when something does happen.

Someone mentioned that Flint is not on the Forbes list anymore...better do a little more investigating... as of Feb. 11th of this year, Flint is #5.

America's Most Miserable Cities - Forbes.com

As for my "qualifications" for stating these facts...I've been here for 39 years, was in the Flint school system, Mott and U of M-Flint. Lived at 3 different residences through those years, all within the city limits, East, North East and South. I have seen neighborhoods go down so fast it is stunning.
For those who may say...'if was sooo bad, why didn't you move?'. Easy, contractual obligations. Earlier this year I declined signing a new contract, negotiated and accepted a cash buyout and will be relocating by Aug. 1st.

To those that are staying, I wish you well, may your neighborhood stay free from the blight that is ravaging the city.

G'N

Old 06-25-2010, 07:14 AM

@Goin' North you hit the nail on the head and I myself am in the process of working things out so I to can get out of here.

@Alleyyooper if you going to insult people at least learn to spell!!!!!!! Ballenger, Mclaren, Slaon, Genesys. You don't even know the city of Flint well enough to spell our streets and businesses right. That tells me you are pretty much in and out.Talk to me after you have lived here. I didn't spend 40 years in fear of this city. However I worry now because things have gotten that bad. People will say I worked in Flint or saw a doctor in Flint or I visited the mall in Flint etc you don't live here so how would you really know what goes on in Flint. Being at a dr's office for a few hour and living here are to diffrent things. But still everyone is entitled to there opinion and I'm happy for all the people who haven't had a tramatic experence in Flint
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan