Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 12:50 PM

8 posts, read 15,467 times

Advertisements

Long story short. My husband's been laid off since October 2008. We pray that he either gets hired by one of the many places he's applied to or will be called back to his old place of employment. We are blessed to be able to still cover all our obligations because we live frugally, however, once the unemployment is gone, we will definitely lose our home. I have also been searching for a second job, hoping that maybe if I got one I could make up the difference once the unemployment is gone, but no job so far.

I'm looking for insight from anyone else that has lost or is losing their home because of being unemployed, not because they chose to walk away due to being upside-down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 01:10 PM

864 posts, read 1,719,792 times
I hate hearing these stories since they're so sad but I think there are going to be a lot more of them in the near future. If you're out of work for an extended period of time in MI -- look outside the state for work. Most will probably have a house and don't think moving is an option because of the double payment thing but the reality is that you're going to lose the house anyway if you can't find a job. Places like Nebraska have a much lower unemployment rate than MI so people should be looking where the jobs are -- that isn't MI.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:58 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,203,753 times
Unhappy How does one chose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesarea View Post
Long story short. My husband's been laid off since October 2008. We pray that he either gets hired by one of the many places he's applied to or will be called back to his old place of employment. We are blessed to be able to still cover all our obligations because we live frugally, however, once the unemployment is gone, we will definitely lose our home. I have also been searching for a second job, hoping that maybe if I got one I could make up the difference once the unemployment is gone, but no job so far.

I'm looking for insight from anyone else that has lost or is losing their home because of being unemployed, not because they chose to walk away due to being upside-down.

Yeah, it is a terrifying feeling to watch ones home slip away.

Been there, saw that...

There are tough choices to be made.

Remember it will take your lender up to 1 full year to evict once you stop making payments.

We had to chose either paying for what we knew we were going to lose anyways or diverting the money to something that would benefit us.

A choice that only you and your husband can make.

Possible you can rent it fo the payment?

I cannot DM you(?) but if you can DM I will share more...

Look here for some possible answers as well...

//www.city-data.com/forum/mortgages/

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 01-09-2010 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: link

Old 01-10-2010, 10:26 AM

Thanks zthatzmanz28 for your reply and pointing out an additional forum to search.

I just needed to feel like I wasn't the only one even though I know I'm not.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:30 AM

Thanks Sparrow_temp for the thoughtful reply.

It's tough in many places.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:57 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,000,902 times
Have you looked into loan modification? Typically I would look at that as a last result. They have the Hope program for mortgages, but that has gotten mixed results.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:54 PM

Thanks for your reply, scolls. We are not eligible for loan modification at this time.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:10 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,000,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesarea View Post
Thanks for your reply, scolls. We are not eligible for loan modification at this time.

If your mortgage and property taxes are more than 30% of your income then you would qualify.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:33 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,655,093 times
I'm in the same boat. been out 13 months and here in Michigan I really dont see much hope of getting a job at this point. I still have 6 to 8 months of Unemployment left but the way things are I just dont see it happening. I could use savings to stay for a year but at this point I'm not planning on it. I may need that money to live for quite a while without a Mortgage. I have family which I will move in with if it comes to this. Sucks but what else can we do. I also dont see putting money into something your going to lose anyway.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:22 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
My brother;'s family struggle for over a year to make the payments and finlally gave up. PArtial payments were worthless since they would foreclose anyway. Finally they just stopped making payments altogether and put the funds to better uses. It took over two years for the bank to make them leave and they should not have done so. THe bank left the doors open and the heat off. pipe froze, animals came in and the house is ruined. Maybe banks are getting smarter now and will let you stay for a while at minimal or no rent. Not sure.

Remember, some time ago, you did nto own a house. Life was not worse then because you did not own a house. It will not be worse now if you stop owning a house. In some ways it will give you much more freedom.

Not sure if they will come after you for the upside down balance. Probably not right away anyway. They have six years to do so. Frnakly unless the bank gives you a release, you may want to avoid accumulating assets for a while.

The state has a help hotline for foreclosure problems. See if you can get help from the state or some other organization as to what to do. You need help from a lawyer, but obviously, you cannot pay for one.

Sorry this is happening to you. Just keep in mind that it is only money, only a piece fo paper and do not let it get you down. You are no worse off than you were some years ago wbefore you boght a house. Best of luck to you. If you have faith, keep your focus there and you will realize that this is not as important or bad as it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan