Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 06:50 AM

433 posts, read 2,356,498 times

Advertisements

According to the NEA, average teacher salary in Michigan is 58k. Very few states are that high. High cost California is 59k. New York 57k. Mass 56k. Illinois 58k. Wisconsin 46k. Minnesota 48k. Ohio 50k. Indiana 47k.

I wouldn't go so far to say that Michigan teachers are overpaid, but they sure aren't underpaid. And that list above wasn't the cheap states either. Those states were in the 30's and 40's/year for average salaries.

Teachers and other public employees of Michigan have to share the pain too. The state is bleeding as workers/homeowners/businesses bail elsewhere.

The state has got to roll out the red carpet for business. Repeat...the state has got to roll out the red carpet for business. The Governor should tell the public employee unions "not a dime more". Transit unions ditto. Let them all go out on strike. Doesn't matter. The piggy bank is empty. What really matters is getting business to stay, move to or expand in Michigan. JOBS. JOBS. JOBS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 08:47 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feelsorryformichiganfolks View Post
Those that say Michigan will "bounce back". What do you mean by that and when do you predict that to happen? Do you think other states will bring business here? Do you think Michigan can specialize in some sort of healthcare service or manufacturing? Just curious because I hear that a lot from those that are afraid of the big move out of state. I heard it from several friends of mine over the past couple years and now none of them live here. I don't mean to sound pessamistic, but Michigan hasn't even seen the beginning of it's devistation. The ONLY thing that will allow people to hang in over the next 10-15 years is some sort of relief money from the fed. govt. With all the twisted political fighting going on, they can't stop for five minutes to address the issue.

Just a sad situation. Good luck to those that stay. We are scared for you, but obviously everyone won't leave at the same time and there will be several thousands more in our shoes over the coming months.

Good luck Michiganders.
Your're right. I don't know why we are all bothering. As I've said before, perhaps all 10 million of us should pack up and leave, and America can turn Michigan into a giant National Park.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:41 PM

22 posts, read 96,448 times
My moms house had been up for sale for over a year and not one person has even attempted. She finally took it off the market because not only was anyone interested but she realized she couldnt afford it anyway. over 8,000 homes for sale in the genesee county area. This place is Rediculious!

Old 05-29-2007, 01:14 PM

702 posts, read 3,010,615 times
I don't get this doom and gloom view of Michigan. The fact is that the most recent census figure shows Michigan actually gaining population. From 2000 to 2006, the population increased 1.6%

Michigan QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

So, either the census is wrong or those leaving the state are just very pessimistic people.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:37 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,453,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyMonkey View Post
So, either the census is wrong or those leaving the state are just very pessimistic people.
Sometimes, you need new blood for a population as a whole to start appreciating things local instead of dreaming about over-idealized locales elsewhere. MI needs an attitude adjustment as much as a shot in the economy. If it takes population migrations, so be it.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:07 AM

111 posts, read 485,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
Sometimes, you need new blood for a population as a whole to start appreciating things local instead of dreaming about over-idealized locales elsewhere. MI needs an attitude adjustment as much as a shot in the economy. If it takes population migrations, so be it.
Absolutely! We're staying now, and investing in Michigan, including BUYING homes that are devalued and fixing them up.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:07 PM

As I mentioned before, the people who made a real estate killing in Philadelphia were those who bought during the city's darkest time. I owned a 3000+ sq. ft., ca. 1901 Victorian in Philadelphia that sold for $12,000 new - quite a price back then. By the 70s, the price of the house went up to around ~$60k and ~$90k in the 90s - really nothing considering it's pricetag in 1901. In fact, people were fleeing the city in droves during the 90s when the city was bankrupt and down and out. By 2005, the house went for $450k! It leveled for the last couple years but it's climbing again. Philadelphia is finally priced in the same ballpark as the rest of the Northeast. "Slumlords" like Alan Kline who bought dozens of these houses in the 70s sold for tens of millions of dollars in the last several years. Like most things in life, you make out when you have a bit of vision and do the opposite of what everyone else is doing.

I'm not saying that Metro Detroit will do exactly what Philadelphia did, but one gets the sense that many of the nice suburbs have yet to make the jump like Philly, Chicago, and a bunch of other metropolitan areas did at the start of the 21st century. I'm guessing that there are some shrewd investors who will come out of this MI downturn smelling like roses in 5-10 years.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:30 PM

2 posts, read 5,515 times
the increse of 2000 to 2006 is not put into prespective, you are taking the good run then adding the fist year of down turn, michigan is just on the edge of the run down. The people who are acting like every thing is ok have their head up you know what. Michigan is not just "a little down for this year" it is on the way to a very bad place. just like we all are if we elect an idiot like bush again

Old 06-02-2007, 08:09 PM

Okie, we are not talking about a "good run" as prices went up 500% and will stay up there. It's like calling Google "a little internet company on a roll," lol. It was a correction for decades of undervaluing. By the way, don't you have anything better to do than troll MI boards?

Old 06-02-2007, 09:00 PM

334 posts, read 1,371,632 times
In mid-michigan theres hundreds of new jobs being created by the HSC expansion and people from dow chemical retiring, to name just a couple. And GM said it will start a new line in saginaw but not for a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan