U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 09:53 AM

24,839 posts, read 34,956,370 times

Advertisements

Stop Asian Carp - Protect Our Great Lakes
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 11:28 AM

2,790 posts, read 5,987,364 times
I have heard, although I have no idea how reliable the source was, that closing the locks will not stop the problem. Because so much of the Chicago area is paved there is no place for rainwater to drain and be absorbed into the soil. The runoff will just cause the locks and the other four or so waterways into Lake Michgan to flood and spill over into the lake anyway. As I said, I don't know how reliable the source was. Is there anyway to divert any of these waterways? If they could at least stop the progression of the carp for a time, maybe research would have time to find a viable solution. At least it is good to see the states and Ontario recognize that they have a common ecomonic enemy.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:36 AM

After watching the video on the above link, and hearing about a small but growing market for carp, I wonder if there couldn't be some sort of open season on them, or a bounty? Might be a logistical nightmare for the Illinois DNR but I bet there are fisherman who would show up just for the sport of killing them.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:45 AM

4,121 posts, read 8,273,572 times
Yes, anything is worth a try, even offering a few dollars for each carp killed. These things must be stopped! I wish there was some sort of bounty on regular carp in the river near where I live. Every year there seems to be more and more carp and less and less bass. Eventually they will impact the other fish of the great Lakes if they get in.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:13 PM

809 posts, read 1,817,507 times
The DNR could always introduce the snakehead species to gobble up the carp. But then that's another problem. Maybe the proliferant cormerant could eat a few....

Old 01-15-2010, 02:58 PM

21,093 posts, read 26,324,098 times
zebra mussels?

Old 01-15-2010, 03:13 PM

29,462 posts, read 71,163,568 times
I heard that they have initiated a new sport. People go out on Jetskis or boats with a bat and try to whack the flying carp into the outfield.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:18 PM

754 posts, read 2,099,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
After watching the video on the above link, and hearing about a small but growing market for carp, I wonder if there couldn't be some sort of open season on them, or a bounty? Might be a logistical nightmare for the Illinois DNR but I bet there are fisherman who would show up just for the sport of killing them.
I've been worried about this, too, and I also wonder if there isn't some way we could use market forces against them. Other species of fish have been overfished to the point of near-extinction; if a market for carp could be found, maybe that might slow them down.

If it were cheap enough, I'm sure people would eat it. Or maybe the carp could be made into cat food. Or maybe it could be marketed to ecologically-minded folks (how's this for a slogan: Save the Lakes -- eat carp!).

I had a student who called herself a "pesco-vegetarian", meaning that she would eat fish but not other animals. I myself have been finding it hard to eat meat after all the horror stories that have been coming out lately (read Fast Food Nation or The Omnivore's Dilemma or see the documentary Food Inc.. I've started buying grass-fed beef and Amish chicken, but I'd gladly buy carp instead if it's safe to eat.

On a political note, while I'm glad Cox is taking this on, it's funny that Cox is presenting this as if it were his personal crusade. The first stories I heard about this said that Granholm had directed him to take legal action to close the shipping channel. Officials from most GL states are working on this jointly. The exception seems to be IL, which is concerned about disrupting shipping. Last I heard, the Obama administration had sided with IL, which disappoints me, unless there really is good evidence that closing the channel won't work.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:22 PM

38,704 posts, read 95,249,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
One truly annoying feature about these damn things is that motorboats cause them to jump out of the water. That can be dangerous for boaters who risk getting smacked in the face by an 80-pound carp. On the other hand, it presents a unique way to sport-kill the bastards:

Old 01-15-2010, 03:49 PM

What about those guys down in Missouri who catch fish (catfish?) barehanded? That might make for an interesting sports reality show. Or what about using a boat like the one they used to deliver an electrical charge and then let folks net them? Maybe we could get Purina Cat Chow to foot the bill if they got the carp. Anyone remember B. Kliban's book, Whack Your Porcupine? I think he would be the perfect artist to do the graphics for the First Annual Whack your Carp Contest and Festival. We could sell t-shirts and let the proceeds go to fund research to eradicate invasive species in the Great Lakes region. I bet we could get Jeff Daniels to do the PSA's. Oh! Oh! Oh! You know the Pure Michigan campaign with Stevie Yzerman? This could be a Michigan/Illinois venture and we could have ads with the Blackhawks and the Red Wings whacking carp! Tigers and White Sox? Lions and Bears? Pistons and Bulls? Can you see Michael Jordon throwing a carp for a 3-pointer?

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! I know you all think CoastieMom has been smoking something this afternoon, but it is time to think outside the box. Aren't we are all agreed this issue is too serious to leave in the hands of the government? The first step in a grass-roots campaign is public awareness and education. I am sure there are plenty of people more clever than I who can think of some unique approaches to eradicating this problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan