Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 06:48 PM

864 posts, read 1,720,468 times

Advertisements

In a state with 15%+ unemployment and where the government cannot balance the budget -- it is hard to do a happy dance. I suppose you can simply choose to ignore all of the problems in the state and try convincing others that all is well but do not complain when somebody else points out the obvious problems. You'd be in good company with the Governor though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 09:17 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
A little positive attitude would go a long way, though. Simply stating "Michigan sucks, let's move" or something along those lines does nothing to improve the state's situation. Coming up with creative solutions to Michigan's problems actually can and will improve the outlook and health of this beautiful state.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:22 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
Also, on the unemployment topic: keep in mind that much of Michigan's joblessness is systemic. Before the recession, it was very easy for college educated people to find a job, and the vast majority of the state's unemployed were laid-off auto workers (and other factory workers) whose jobs were sent to Mexico or China, or whose skills simply became obsolete. Most of these workers had only a high school diploma, or less. College-educated and diversely-skilled Michiganders had no trouble finding work.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:11 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,351,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
In a state with 15%+ unemployment and where the government cannot balance the budget -- it is hard to do a happy dance. I suppose you can simply choose to ignore all of the problems in the state and try convincing others that all is well but do not complain when somebody else points out the obvious problems. You'd be in good company with the Governor though.
Nobody is suggesting that all is well and good with the state. No one here is doing a happy dance, but on the other hand no one needs to hang a Gloomy Gus expression on their face, either. Having a sense of humor is not ignoring the problem, but it does help to keep things in perspective. The point of the OP was to have some fun and think outside the box, it was not to convince anyone that all is well. Pointing out the obvious is redundant, if it is obvious, it doesn't need to be pointed out. The only complaint is that all the Debby Downers insist on turning every thread into a diatribe of Michigan's ills.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:53 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,899,397 times
Quote:
So are you saying that the people who do have a good job and are doing well should just keep quiet? Only start threads that talk about doom, gloom and depression? What good will that do?

Old 02-03-2010, 06:40 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,307,609 times
Quote:
I just have one question, because I am curious. You are not the first person that I have seen do this, but you seem to be articulate and intelligent and, I think, could answer it as well as anyone. The question is: why do people who have left a state to go elsewhere and state that they are happy where they are still feel the need to return to their previous state's forum and discuss how bad things are there and criticize the people who still live there for having a positive, glass half full, attitude about their state? I know that you like NM, because you have said so in other posts, so why does it seem to bother you if those of us who chose to stay in Michigan also choose to be happy and contented here? I don't feel the need to criticize NM, or to criticize you for being happy there. Live and let live, and I wish everyone could be happy, wherever they live, KWIM?

I enjoy most of your posts and I agree with your political view as well. I just don't understand why it should bother you if some of us want to discuss positive things that are happening in Michigan instead of jumping on the old "Michigan Sucks" bandwagon that some of the members of this forum subscribe to. I guess, to put it succinctly, even if we did want to "do a happy dance", why would it matter to someone who doesn't even live here anymore?

Old 02-03-2010, 06:47 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
The State is balancing the budget. They're required to by the State constitution. That can't be said for a lot of other states in the U.S. In fact, Michigan's not even in the top 10 for state's having budget shortfalls right now.

Also, the unemployment rate for residents of Michigan with a bachelor's degree = 3.5%. I can't stand Granholm, but she hardly holds the monopoly on being a Michigan supporter.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:32 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,351,220 times
Moldman, Canudigit, Magellan, can't give you any reppoints for the time being, but consider yourselves repped!

Old 02-03-2010, 08:25 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,307,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Moldman, Canudigit, Magellan, can't give you any reppoints for the time being, but consider yourselves repped!
You too.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:37 PM

355 posts, read 1,230,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
There's 10,000,000 people "stuck" here. What happened, is there a huge barbed-wire fence along the border?

Do you really think that ALL of those people are here because they are "stuck" here?

I think your reasoning skills are a little weak.
I think they are "emotionally" and mentally stuck more than anything. I just moved from MI to Austin Texas and it is EXTREMELY overated. But I can tell you this, it has ALOT of money. Is it because its a GREAT state with fabolous people? ERRR no, in fact its the home to the redneck good ol boys and douch baggers. however they are MONEY hungry. The politicans and governors hyped up austin big time to get more people here! That is what needs to be done with MI.Mi cannot grow without more people, that is just plain and simple. Texas is an oil state so they get the bulk of their money there, but some of the major colleges such as U of M and michigan state should try to attract more college students from out of state to bring in more money. Also, we need a major company here (like Dell is in Texas) to bring in some real jobs so it will motivate people to stay in MI. Also, have a "no state taxes" law to attract outsiders or retirees but charge the hell out of them for bogus "must haves" (car inspection updates, $50 for a driver's license renewal,etc.). This might seem like a con, but heck it works!Texas also has an advantage because they got the mexico border, where immigrants come in by the herds and work for cheap doing construction and labor jobs. Thats what we need, but our closes allie is Canada. I don't see Candadians trying to break the doors down to get in michigan LOL buuuuut you get my point.We need some people who can bring more "tech" related jobs, so starting an online business and opening a real office is a cheap way to do a quick start up and employ people in the state. Whatever the method, MI NEED JOBS! Even for the ones that don't have an education, more labor jobs need to be in the way. Major grants need to be written to request the building of new tourist attractions, (zoos, art muesuems, water parks, theme parks, huge malls, etc) or you can forget about people from other states coming to live and retire in michigan. Also, growing our own food is a GOOD idea. We can also bring in some money from other states as well....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan