Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,035 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are looking to buy a house in FH. THe house is located at 11 and Middlebelt, the neighborhood near Mercy High School.

My Family is trying to freak us out telling us it's an unsafe area and in 5 years it'll be worse. I'm wondering if this is true. We like diversity but it's true that as a white couple we probably don't want to live in Detroit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 01:32 PM

5,986 posts, read 13,160,070 times
From what I know based on people who lived there, Farmington Hills is generally upper middle class and very nice. I don't know, but from google earth, I can see Farmington Hills has quite a few apartment complexes, and apartment complexes always a have more crime than single family home areas. So that maybe a possible issue.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:44 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,438,212 times
Farmington Hills is not dangerous at all.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:55 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,010,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
From what I know based on people who lived there, Farmington Hills is generally upper middle class and very nice. I don't know, but from google earth, I can see Farmington Hills has quite a few apartment complexes, and apartment complexes always a have more crime than single family home areas. So that maybe a possible issue.

I'm sorry but this has to be the most ignorant post I have read. Just because there are apartments there it will have higher crime. The past decade the city has been half the national average in crime.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:12 PM

5,986 posts, read 13,160,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
I'm sorry but this has to be the most ignorant post I have read. Just because there are apartments there it will have higher crime. The past decade the city has been half the national average in crime.
I didn't mean it like that at all. Sorry if it came off that way. I was only suggesting that maybe someone elses perception might have been because of that.

I know in a very general sense (not specifically Farmington Hills) that apartment complexes even in very nice suburbs can sometimes attract a few individuals that may make a bad impression on residents by a few isolated incidents. It was not slam at all on Farmington Hills or anywhere else.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:08 PM

693 posts, read 2,261,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingup2010 View Post
My fiance and I are looking to buy a house in FH. THe house is located at 11 and Middlebelt, the neighborhood near Mercy High School.

My Family is trying to freak us out telling us it's an unsafe area and in 5 years it'll be worse. I'm wondering if this is true. We like diversity but it's true that as a white couple we probably don't want to live in Detroit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
First of all let me say that anyone who has told you that Farmington Hills is dangerous is absolutley absent of any intelligence. I lived on Halstead and 13 mile Rd for several years. It is a upper middle class suburb with a very noticeable law enforcement presence. Farmington Hills is made up of primarily empty nesters, with a spattering of young professionals.

I will say that once you travel east of Farmington, you will notice a considerable difference in the neighborhoods. But for someone to say that a suburb made up of 300-500K+ homes is "dangerous" is just silly. It backs up to Novi, West Bloomfield, and Bloomfield Hills which are 3 of the wealthiest areas in Michigan. Getting accurate information is sometimes difficult on these forums, people like to bash something based on something they have "heard".

Novi, Farmington Hills and Northville were growing tremendously before the national recession hit, and they will be the first housing markets to retrieve their values once Michigan is on the road to recovery. People not from Michigan often group the suburbs as a extension of Detroit, and therefore take the stigma with it. If i was still working in Northville, I would haven't moved from the area, but now I travel across the country. Good luck with your decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan