Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2010, 12:55 PM

3 posts, read 9,773 times

Advertisements

Look at purchasing a home in Lansing. In particular looking at a house on Jerree Street (Churchhill downs) neighborhood. Any thoughts on this area will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 07:05 AM

222 posts, read 809,525 times
That is not in the best part of Lansing, but I have not lived over there. Hopefully someone else with more information might be able to assist, but I think there are good deals in better neighborhoods right now. I would suggest driving through there at various times of the day and week (including at night) to see what it is like.

My advice to anyone considering buying in Lansing right now is to consider the area carefully: with a dropping population it will be difficult to sell for many years to come if you are unhappy with your choice.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:18 AM

9 posts, read 18,083 times
I agree with michiganbob's advice, check it out different times of day and night, and weekends as well as weekdays.

There have been drive-by shootings in the area, and they are mostly drug related, so you need to know who your neighbors are and what they are doing. If there is a lot of people coming and going at all hours, find a different place!

I grew up in Churchill Downs and my dad still lives there. I visit once or twice a year, for several days at a time. When we drive through the old neighborhood, it seems the same as I remember from 20+ years ago; a few teenage "thugs" hanging around, but nothing too dangerous. My dad and sister take their dogs for walks and don't feel unsafe at all.

I'd be careful about going to the stores and restaurants at Jolly & Waverly. With the low-income housing so close, there seems to always be 'rif raf' hanging around. It seemed I was always being harassed, even when my husband was with me! Now I go out of my way to avoid stopping at those stores.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:46 AM

2,948 posts, read 7,006,807 times
My aunt had a home in this neighborhood several years ago, and it was a problem. She had her house broken into and robbed, and dogs were poisoned in the process - It could have been a targeted attack, as she/husband of the time were not in good circles, but that situation is enough to keep me from ever considering the neighborhood. The low income housing is a problem, and there is a lot of foot traffic between Miller and Jolly Rds. Jolly / Waverly is not a good area to be near. I personally wouldn't pick this neighborhood.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:23 PM

27 posts, read 109,573 times
If you're looking at Lansing housing, I'd look over at the Westside neighborhood, in the Jenison/Genesee/Kalamazoo street area. There are some beautiful older homes that are going for a song now. Some streets are better than others, though. My friends bought a gorgeous one, all brick and 2500 square feet, for $80K.

The Groesbeck area is also very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: