Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 05:39 PM

6 posts, read 15,033 times

Advertisements

We live in central U.P. with 80 acres, mostly swamp and woods, great hunting and fishing and great gardening, too. The only plant I haven't been successful with is okra. Love the stuff, but it just needs too much growing time and doesn't transplant well. Otherwise, tomatoes do great when given a head start in my little greenhouse (cobbled together from old windows). I am planting peas now. Beets, rutabagas and carrots do great, also cabbage and Brussels sprouts, green beans and lots of other veggies. You have to know somebody local to get a good price on land because just as other people have said, people flocking here for summer cottages and hunting camps have really driven up prices. But a lot of people would rather sell privately, and you CAN get good deals. Winters here are long and can be arduous - most years there is at least a week of -40 temperatures and wind chills can go much lower - but there are also wonderful winter sports activities and opportunities like ski patrol, sled dog training and racing. For me, the most rewarding part of living here is the beauty in every season. I'm an artist, and to me this is an inspiring place to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 06:39 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie498 View Post
We live in central U.P. with 80 acres, mostly swamp and woods, great hunting and fishing and great gardening, too. The only plant I haven't been successful with is okra. Love the stuff, but it just needs too much growing time and doesn't transplant well. Otherwise, tomatoes do great when given a head start in my little greenhouse (cobbled together from old windows). I am planting peas now. Beets, rutabagas and carrots do great, also cabbage and Brussels sprouts, green beans and lots of other veggies. You have to know somebody local to get a good price on land because just as other people have said, people flocking here for summer cottages and hunting camps have really driven up prices. But a lot of people would rather sell privately, and you CAN get good deals. Winters here are long and can be arduous - most years there is at least a week of -40 temperatures and wind chills can go much lower - but there are also wonderful winter sports activities and opportunities like ski patrol, sled dog training and racing. For me, the most rewarding part of living here is the beauty in every season. I'm an artist, and to me this is an inspiring place to be.
Where are you in the UP with -40 for a week ? No where I have heard of, and I check temps everyday in the winter all across the UP, with the one exception, and thats the far Eastern area.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:03 AM

6 posts, read 15,033 times
If you make a triangle with Escanaba, Menominee and Iron Mountain, we are just about in the center.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:28 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Very true about the diversity in the UP. The interior is mostly low land, swampy even. Lots of ceder swamps and flat land...
That is a good point that needs restating once in awhile. I was always advised to never buy land in the winter in MN, WI, and the UP because then you won't know how much swamp the land has. Always look for the percentage of low land vs. high land in the realty listing. I remember looking at property listings in northern MN, remarking, "Well that is a good price--look at how much high land there is!" or "Oh, no wonder it is so cheap, it is almost all low land."

Old 05-03-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
That is a good point that needs restating once in awhile. I was always advised to never buy land in the winter in MN, WI, and the UP because then you won't know how much swamp the land has. Always look for the percentage of low land vs. high land in the realty listing. I remember looking at property listings in northern MN, remarking, "Well that is a good price--look at how much high land there is!" or "Oh, no wonder it is so cheap, it is almost all low land."
In the Northern Tier , raw non crop productive land is cheap, has mostly little interest , there are thousands of acres that are for sale, if someone has the extra money to buy it. Most of the high elevation property does not contain mineral rights. Most of the swamp land does. Actually , the low swampy land often contains cedar that can be harvested. So much of all the raw land out there is a bad investment. Can not support ownership at a break-even point considering the taxes . Much of the large parcels in the UP and Northern MN. are held in some kind of land trust, or have been traded and reverted back to the State or the Federal Government.
Its all about revenue producing investments , and good business practices. Location plays such a large role , that this practice and procedure are repeated all across the Country, AZ for example is no exception. Not every parcel can be located on the rim of the Grand Canyon.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:23 AM

625 posts, read 1,810,994 times
Ok, you guys might think I am crazy but I am considering a move to the UP. How are teaching jobs up there? I was considering the area around Marquette. I love snow, and I currently live around the South Bend area in Indiana. They get about 80 inches of snow a year...which is a lot. However, I do know that UP gets over 200 inches some years. Would I be able to handle it up there? Do you think there are teaching positions available?

Old 05-03-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr18 View Post
Ok, you guys might think I am crazy but I am considering a move to the UP. How are teaching jobs up there? I was considering the area around Marquette. I love snow, and I currently live around the South Bend area in Indiana. They get about 80 inches of snow a year...which is a lot. However, I do know that UP gets over 200 inches some years. Would I be able to handle it up there? Do you think there are teaching positions available?
Marquette IS your best choice in the UP. Largest city, lowest unemployment. Teaching Jobs, ? depends on you level of expertise and qualification. Someone else may a better handle on that specifically.
Regarding snow, yes we get 200 inches, even 300 sometimes. This year only 150, a light one,mild winter. Our crews handle snow removal quite well, its not a problem, and you will find better climate than South bend...less humidity, not any colder, maybe less spikes as it hardly gets below 20 during the day in the coldest months. Our weather comes from Canada,dry power snow,great skiing and seldom below O, lots more sun in winter than N. In....And, in the summer no AC needed, that means a lot in my book.Our climate is tempered by the Greatest of the Great Lakes...Lake Superior, reason enough to move here.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:07 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,078 times
There are several public schools in Marquette, as well as a large Catholic school. Also look at Ishpeming and Negaunee, both within 15-20 minutes of Marquette. I would not look at whatever school includes the Sawyer area (about 15 minutes in the other direction) because I have not heard good things about the kids, the parents, or the area. However, check around a little more if you do find an opening there--I could be wrong.

If you have your Masters, you could also check to see if NMU has any applicable openings.

Don't worry about the snow. It really isn't that bad. I mean, if you are use to snow already, does it really matter how high it piles?

Old 05-03-2010, 10:41 PM

625 posts, read 1,810,994 times
I will graduate next spring with a Bachelor's Degree in Elementary Ed. So kind of basic but still a degree nonetheless. I was just curious becuase I know that some areas in the nation are in desperate need of teachers; however, I wasn't sure about the UP. Is the UP considered to be a desirable location where teachers are plentiful or are they in need? That is fine if you don't know the answer.

Also, when I visited Lake Superior last summer I was amazed at how peaceful it is. One of the few times I just looked in awe at nature (and I'm not a nature type of guy). So it felt just so natural. We'll see.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:46 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr18 View Post
I will graduate next spring with a Bachelor's Degree in Elementary Ed. So kind of basic but still a degree nonetheless. I was just curious becuase I know that some areas in the nation are in desperate need of teachers; however, I wasn't sure about the UP. Is the UP considered to be a desirable location where teachers are plentiful or are they in need? That is fine if you don't know the answer.

Also, when I visited Lake Superior last summer I was amazed at how peaceful it is. One of the few times I just looked in awe at nature (and I'm not a nature type of guy). So it felt just so natural. We'll see.
That usually happens when people see the Lake Superior area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan