Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 08:22 AM

5 posts, read 11,799 times

Advertisements

Hi, My husband and I have 3 kids. We homeschool and live in the country. We raise animals and have gardens and love where we live. We are between Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo now, but we would like to move up to the UP. My husband is currently in pest control. Any advise on a good fit? Any one know anything about pest control jobs up there? Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 08:59 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,155,457 times
Pretty short gardening season in the UP. Hard on animals too.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,911 times
Take lots and lots of food.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:11 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,862,649 times
Why move if you love where you live now?

Old 02-15-2010, 10:16 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,877,459 times
Moving to the UP can be a shocking experience for some folks. We are remote , separated from Lower Michigan by more than just miles however. The culture is quite different also. People are more independent , innovative , honest , and trustworthy as a whole. That alone can be a shock for a lot of people who live in areas that are laden with crime, drugs , and lots of road traffic.

All that said , living here can be quite rewarding , peacefully , and uplifting , everyday that we look out at our natural suroundings....As far as jobs , take a look at the more urban areas , like Marquette. We have just been select as one of the twelve " distinctive Cities destinations" by the Preservation Trust. So far voting for the number one slot is up to the People. Marquette is far out in the running and it looks like we will win hands down against the other eleven contender cities all over the Country. It is a wonderful place , you should be happy here...... From personal experience , I came up from the Kazoo area 3 years ago...and will never go back. Good luck in your quest ,...like I always say , ...its not for everyone , but for those who from time to time feel a little isolated or detached from the outside...just go down to Big Lake Superior, sit, look out at the waves , the horizon , and the shoreline...you will be renewed , will be gratefull for the choice you made.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:24 AM

Darstar is right. I would move to the U.P if I didnt have wife, kids and all that...in a second! I swear Lake Superior has "soul" healing powers.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:37 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,155,457 times
I'd love it too and have thought about it. But I'm a big gardener, and it is hard on animals whether they be livestock (and harder on you to take care of them) or dogs (that need to be walked). I'm just saying. Gardening season being too short is a big player for me.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:46 AM

You could build a greenhouse Giesela!

Old 02-15-2010, 11:14 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,877,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I'd love it too and have thought about it. But I'm a big gardener, and it is hard on animals whether they be livestock (and harder on you to take care of them) or dogs (that need to be walked). I'm just saying. Gardening season being too short is a big player for me.
We have wonderful produce in the summer. The daylight is long during the growing season. Just go to the Farmers Market in Marquette in season , you will find all sorts of produce . Flowers do great , tomato's no so great ( 90 days )., all root veggies excel , and some grow very large. Corn is late..early fall. Mainly , cold weather crops do well , just as in any other northern tier area. The farmers around Sandia have been quite successful in providing local produce for the Marquette metro area. The area further south on the shore of Lake Michigan ( Delta County ) has the best growing season , and is sometimes called the" UP Banana belt ", its a peninsula that juts out into the Lake.
The other thing we have is lots of is local berries , some wild , some cultured... raspberries and thimble berries are a local delecilacy....dogs? , they rule in the UP ,but I would suggest a northern breed. The UP 200 sled races are about to start , always a big event in the area. great trails and conditions...........its a lot like Alaska in some ways....... only not so far away.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:20 AM

150 posts, read 403,740 times
Before moving to northern Minnesota my husband and I thought about moving to the UP when we wanted to get out of the Battle Creek, MI area. After checking out the land prices there, we found that there would be no way that we could afford what they were asking. The problem seemed to be all of the lower MI people moving there or just using it for a vacation place and that drove the land prices out of this world.

We took a little 2 week fishing trip up to Canada, Pacwash Lake. While driving through MN, we noticed a few properties for sale and though we'd check them out. We found a 4 bedroom, one bath house with 40 acres of land (15 acres cleared) for $27,000.00 in the Baudette MN area. We bought it. Needless to say, we didn't look for property in the UP anymore.

I had a 5 acres veggies garden, we had a ton of deer for hubby to hunt and a town that everyone welcomed us. We made some of the best friends we've ever had. It's quite, peaceful and beautiful. We don't have to fight with traffic, tourists or money hungry land grabbers. There aren't people that are more concerned about themselves here, everyone looks out for everyone else. The people of the area thought it would be a nice thing to have a movie theater here. So we all pitched in and now we have a 1 screen movie house.

I don't think that you'll find anything like that in the UP.

Susie in MN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan