Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 07:50 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MittenDweller82 View Post
Where is the utopia in which you live? I must strongly disagree with your last statement, Michigan as a whole has many "ills" and they are apparent in every town, regardless if you choose to see them or not. The idea that there are "shelded" utopias in this state free of economic crisis is quite laughable, even the most wealthy areas have seen great change.
I agree that times are tough, but it is NOT all doom and gloom as some on here would have everyone believe. I didn't say this area was "shielded" from economic problems, just that the ones we do have are not tied to Detroit and it's ills. Michigan as a whole DOES have problems, and I have said that all along. Just as EVERY state has problems right now. I have said right along for the entire time I have been a member on C-D that there are problems. I have never bought into the whole "The State is going to die! The State is going to collapse!" and other hokey BS that makes a person sound like Chicken Little. Problems? Yes. Wholesale despair and third-world poverty as the new norm? No, not even close for most of the State.

Quote:
I've noticed that in many of your previous posts its apparent that you do not believe that anyone is struggling financially.
Please post a link to where I have EVER said that no-one is struggling financially. I have said over and over that not everybody is having a hard time right now and to try and make it sound like that is the case, where EVERYBODY is just a matter of moments from being homeless and destitute is false.

Quote:
If I choose to only see what I want, and not what is really happening, then I am blind to all. A breif report from your small neighborhood does nothing to gauge the realities of Michigan.
Just as a report of how bad your area is doing also doesn't present a true picture of the entire state.

Quote:
Detroit's ills are your neighborhoods ills, what happens in Lansing will affect your community regardless.
Detroit's ills are NOT my towns ills. To imply that really shows how narrow your mindset really is. Auto is NOT king for the entire state when it comes to the economy of an area. A bad year for Cherries, Apples, or Peaches does more harm to this area than an auto plant closing/laying off, 4 1/2 hours away does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 08:03 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsthe411 View Post
Good to know. Are you still living in Marshall, as I read in your other post that you once commuted b/w Marshall and Battle Creek? How long was that drive, by the way?
Nope, Haven't lived in Marshall for several years. I actually worked out of Bedford which is just NW of Battle Creek and it was about 22 miles from my driveway to work and took about 35 minutes to drive. Downtown BC could be made in about 20-25 minutes depending on time of day and traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan