Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 08:15 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Since no one wants to talk about the economy, I just got back from Sault Sainte Marie and I all of the sudden feel Gaylurd isn't so bad after all.

Dont even go there scolls, I lived in that area for years and it is a great place to live. You are reasonably close to superior huron and michigan, fishing is unbeatable, duck hunting is unbeatable. Cost of living is low, and the scenery is great. Miles and miles of national and state forest land everywhere. Day trips into Canada (even better scenery) are easy to do. Good jobs are hard to find there, but work is available to those who look for it. The cost of living is very low so it makes up for low wages. I dont expect a city boy like you to understand the Soo, but Im not gonna just let you slam it like that without a response. By far I enjoyed my life in the eastern UP more than any other place I have ever lived, and spent more time there than any other place. I only moved to central lower Mi because of my wifes family. Sault ste Marie is a FAR better place than that Harper Woods place you keep talking about. One Detoilet suburb the same as another. Scolls you should get out of real Michigan and go back to Detroit/Harper woods. I hope everyone reading scolls posts realizes he knows nothing about the Soo, not much about Gaylord and does not understand small town/rural Michigan at all. Scolls has figured out that you will not get rich in Gaylord or any other rural Michigan community so he sees them in a negative light. There is more to life than career and money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 08:39 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Dont even go there scolls, I lived in that area for years and it is a great place to live. You are reasonably close to superior huron and michigan, fishing is unbeatable, duck hunting is unbeatable. Cost of living is low, and the scenery is great. Miles and miles of national and state forest land everywhere. Day trips into Canada (even better scenery) are easy to do. Good jobs are hard to find there, but work is available to those who look for it. The cost of living is very low so it makes up for low wages. I dont expect a city boy like you to understand the Soo, but Im not gonna just let you slam it like that without a response. By far I enjoyed my life in the eastern UP more than any other place I have ever lived, and spent more time there than any other place. I only moved to central lower Mi because of my wifes family. Sault ste Marie is a FAR better place than that Harper Woods place you keep talking about. One Detoilet suburb the same as another. Scolls you should get out of real Michigan and go back to Detroit/Harper woods. I hope everyone reading scolls posts realizes he knows nothing about the Soo, not much about Gaylord and does not understand small town/rural Michigan at all. Scolls has figured out that you will not get rich in Gaylord or any other rural Michigan community so he sees them in a negative light. There is more to life than career and money.
Agree 100%. Just another place for Scolls to hate. Must mean it still is a great place for the rest of us. I graduated from the Soo years ago and still like the place a lot. One of the best places I have ever lived. Real down to Earth people, great opportunities to get out in the boonies, just a real good place. Run down? yes, it has been for decades. Poor (monetarily)? Yes to that as well. Those things are not what make a great place though. It is the people, and the Soo has GREAT people. IF you can get a job there (which has been a real valid question for many years) I can't think of a place I would rather go back to, without a seconds hesitation.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:05 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,001,223 times
Sault Sainte Marie has got to be the must rundown city in northern Michigan. The worst part is, you can look across to Canada and see a much nicer Sault Sainte Marie.

Pleas Danielj, tell exactly what I don't know about Gaylurd.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:09 PM

809 posts, read 1,949,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
HAHA! You'd be amazed with how many Up-North residents have "toys" worth more then their homes.
I've seen the same in urban areas

Old 02-23-2010, 09:33 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Sault Sainte Marie has got to be the must rundown city in northern Michigan. The worst part is, you can look across to Canada and see a much nicer Sault Sainte Marie.

Pleas Danielj, tell exactly what I don't know about Gaylurd.

You do not know a thing about why people would want to live in a place like Gaylord. Most of the people who live there love it there, money or no money, good job or no good job. People live in northern Michigan for the quality of life, they hunt and fish, camp, ride snowmachines. Most of what they love to do is outdoors. You have already made fun of those things in a previous post, ( the elmer fudd comments). People also love northern Michigan for the strong sense of community. People still look out for their neighboors there. I dont know how long youve been there, but I have no doubt that you fit in there about as well as a turd in a swimming pool. You may know the streets, know the local businesses, but I have no doubt you do knot REALLY know Gaylord. You have no idea why the people who live there have pride in the area.
Now back to the Soo, you are wrong it is not all run down. Yes there is a older part of town, but most of the town is nice. THe downtown is nice, the locks area. Alos Lake State university and all the area around it is nice. The part of town you are talking about is one small section. It does not suprise me that you see nothing good there, you are incapable of seeing the good in a town like the Soo. There are no glass towers there, no concret jungle, no money, no career ladder, no titles and status. It is alien to your south east Michigan values. Seriously, why dont you just go home and quite complaining???

Old 02-23-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
You do not know a thing about why people would want to live in a place like Gaylord. Most of the people who live there love it there, money or no money, good job or no good job. People live in northern Michigan for the quality of life, they hunt and fish, camp, ride snowmachines. Most of what they love to do is outdoors. You have already made fun of those things in a previous post, ( the elmer fudd comments). People also love northern Michigan for the strong sense of community. People still look out for their neighboors there. I dont know how long youve been there, but I have no doubt that you fit in there about as well as a turd in a swimming pool. You may know the streets, know the local businesses, but I have no doubt you do knot REALLY know Gaylord. You have no idea why the people who live there have pride in the area.
Now back to the Soo, you are wrong it is not all run down. Yes there is a older part of town, but most of the town is nice. THe downtown is nice, the locks area. Alos Lake State university and all the area around it is nice. The part of town you are talking about is one small section. It does not suprise me that you see nothing good there, you are incapable of seeing the good in a town like the Soo. There are no glass towers there, no concret jungle, no money, no career ladder, no titles and status. It is alien to your south east Michigan values. Seriously, why dont you just go home and quite complaining???

What don't you understand about the northern Michigan economy? The thread specifically asked about the economy in northern Michigan. It didn't ask why people would want to live in Gaylurd, or East Jordan, or the Soo. It asked about the economy. He asked about finding a job. It has nothing to do about social status. Why is it so hard for you to grasp that? I don't care how you can cutback, but working minimum wage, part time is not enough to support yourself. Period. It is nothing about status. Those are the jobs northern Michigan offers if you can even get those. The majority of people who live well, are retirees. That is what Gaylurd is good for.

I didn't know you were serious about hunting rabbits. There are plenty of squirrels I could shoot in Harper Woods. Besides, how the hell do I find a rabbit in the snow?

I've been Gaylurd about 6 months. I had lived in Roscommon for about 5 years and went to high school at Roscommon. The other poster who said kids drink and do drugs out of bordem was dead on.

LOL the downtown part was the part I thought was rundown. Actually, I didn't find an area that wasn't rundown. Lake State University was actually where I had to go in Sault Sainte Marie. I'm sorry but the town is rundown. It's ugly. I'm sure the people are wonderful but the town was so dingy I didn't feel like hanging around. Petoskey is an example of a nice northern Michigan city.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:59 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
...and it is obvious everyone has their own opinions about areas. Based on what their interests are. What's the big deal? I would hope that anyone logging on and asking questions about a particular area would understand they will most likely get both sides. Good Lord, let it be already. He doesn't like the north, you don't like the SE, JimBob doesn't like the UP, and someone surely doesn't like the eastern part of the state.

You say you have to defend it and then you do the SAME exact thing you are bit*hing about him doing....

Michigan is a naturally beautiful state. Economy is pretty bad at the moment. High paying jobs are not a dime a dozen, but there are some jobs to be had if you look hard enough. Weather is four seasons, for those who enjoy all that brings and there are many who do. Many do not. That's ok. Yes, we have snow, sometimes a lot, sometimes a little. We have humidity, mosquitoes. We have a wonderful autumn with leaves that turn colors that will blow you away in beauty. We have beautiful lakes, we have some cruddy ones too. We have beautiful towns and some really nasty ones too. Not just in Detroit, but many other areas also. You can find culture, good schools, art, fine dining, great entertainment and awesome sports. There is certainly enough room for everyone, but the beauty of that is that not everyone has the same likes, so they won't all crowd here. Cool. It is as it should be and it is all good. Enough places in this wonderful country for anyone to enjoy what they so desire....if you are happy where you are...Alleluia...if not, make it your goal to work towards moving where you will be happy...simple. Really.

If I were looking to move here and posted questions and this was a thread that was in reponse to my post...I would run so far in the opposite direction of this state...geez...agree to disagree.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
...and it is obvious everyone has their own opinions about areas. Based on what their interests are. What's the big deal? I would hope that anyone logging on and asking questions about a particular area would understand they will most likely get both sides. Good Lord, let it be already. He doesn't like the north, you don't like the SE, JimBob doesn't like the UP, and someone surely doesn't like the eastern part of the state.

You say you have to defend it and then you do the SAME exact thing you are bit*hing about him doing....

Michigan is a naturally beautiful state. Economy is pretty bad at the moment. High paying jobs are not a dime a dozen, but there are some jobs to be had if you look hard enough. Weather is four seasons, for those who enjoy all that brings and there are many who do. Many do not. That's ok. Yes, we have snow, sometimes a lot, sometimes a little. We have humidity, mosquitoes. We have a wonderful autumn with leaves that turn colors that will blow you away in beauty. We have beautiful lakes, we have some cruddy ones too. We have beautiful towns and some really nasty ones too. Not just in Detroit, but many other areas also. You can find culture, good schools, art, fine dining, great entertainment and awesome sports. There is certainly enough room for everyone, but the beauty of that is that not everyone has the same likes, so they won't all crowd here. Cool. It is as it should be and it is all good. Enough places in this wonderful country for anyone to enjoy what they so desire....if you are happy where you are...Alleluia...if not, make it your goal to work towards moving where you will be happy...simple. Really.

If I were looking to move here and posted questions and this was a thread that was in reponse to my post...I would run so far in the opposite direction of this state...geez...agree to disagree.

The thing is, I'm wanting to talk about the job situation in northern Michigan. The problem is, the job situation is not good. When you say that on this forum, they can't stand anything negative about northern Michigan so they go into defense mode and turn the conversation into something other than the negative issue that is plaguing the area. If I'm a member reading this, it tells me that I'm just going to get stereotypical advice and the people of Michigan are delusional.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:20 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
If I'm a member reading this, it tells me that I'm just going to get stereotypical advice and the people of Michigan are delusional.
Or that one person likes to ***** about everyplace that is in Northern Michigan.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:03 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,694,298 times
The job situation is TOUGH. But there are jobs if you search, however there are lots of people applying for that one job. END OF STORY. (which has been said numerous times through out)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan