Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 05:40 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,001,223 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry, when someone asks about the economy in northern Michigan I'll tell them how wonderful it is. Don't want to be negative and post the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 05:43 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,897,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
sunshineann isn't using quite the same language as some of the negative bashers. I've been on this site for years, and it used to be a lot worse.

Granted, there are people in this state who have found themselves in a very tough spot, and that may be causing family problems, which in turn probably turns them into some vile-spewing crap-trolls. Or they may be mad at Granholm. And others purposely like to push buttons to get a response.
And for those who are in a tough spot, coming on here and getting everyone pissed at you will not help one bit. Believe it or not, there are some pretty caring people on here, and if you are in a tough spot and feeling down, I'm sure any one of us would be glad to help any way we can. In times like these your better off having a few friends than more enemies.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:05 AM

19 posts, read 90,301 times
Like it or not, there are truths that need to be told, places to avoid, people to avoid. Michigan is also full of amazing cities and amazing people. It is wonderful to focus on the positive and should be a daily exercise. It is also necessary to acknowledge the negative, you can't change things if you bury your head in the sand ( in our case the snow

Old 02-27-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgylie View Post
Like it or not, there are truths that need to be told, places to avoid, people to avoid. Michigan is also full of amazing cities and amazing people. It is wonderful to focus on the positive and should be a daily exercise. It is also necessary to acknowledge the negative, you can't change things if you bury your head in the sand ( in our case the snow
You are correct. But to acknowledge them, and beat them to death are something completely different. Im sure everyone in the country knows by now Michigan is a terrible place to find a good job. No one is burying their heads in the snow about that, we have all agreed this is the case. Now its time to act and talk positively. No one will want to move here, let alone start a business here with everyone saying how bad Michigan sucks. The one thing we can all do is watch, listen and read up on all the candidates running for Governor, and hopefully we can chose the right one to get us back on track! I love this state, and I want my kids, and kids graduating College to want, and be able to stay here and be able to enjoy it like I do!

Old 02-27-2010, 11:00 AM

19 posts, read 90,301 times
Michmoldman, I agree with your sentiments on changing the attitude of Michigan, we own 4 business in Michigan, 2 on the west side and 2 on the East side. Thankfully we have wonderful employees and are doing very well in Michigan. I also agree with you on paying close attention to the candidate for Governor, our business will not survive if we get taxed to death. If small business owners like us are ran out of Michigan it will dry up and blow away. I believe we will see a different "kind" of Governor this time around and Michigan will not only survive but will be strong again.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Michmoldman, I agree with your sentiments on changing the attitude of Michigan, we own 4 business in Michigan, 2 on the west side and 2 on the East side. Thankfully we have wonderful employees and are doing very well in Michigan. I also agree with you on paying close attention to the candidate for Governor, our business will not survive if we get taxed to death. If small business owners like us are ran out of Michigan it will dry up and blow away. I believe we will see a different "kind" of Governor this time around and Michigan will not only survive but will be strong again.
Thats awesome! I also own a business, and would love to expand someday, but its a bit scary.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:41 PM

4 posts, read 2,076 times
If you don't want to see the negativity, then go to The Michigan POSITIVE thread:, and talk about the positive things in Michigan!

Old 02-27-2010, 06:01 PM

121 posts, read 175,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukert View Post
If you don't want to see the negativity, then go to The Michigan POSITIVE thread:, and talk about the positive things in Michigan!

Let me guess.........hmmmm........you must be a negative thinker....Go figure..

Old 02-28-2010, 06:18 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Exactly. Small business growth should be PARAMOUNT on every candidate's lips this year. Growing small businesses employ people, many times providing healthcare, they pay taxes to help keep govt services going, and they help put money into non-profits like United Way and others to help the economically disadvantaged. Wanna reduce homelessness? Grow business. Wanna reduce poverty? Grow business. Wanna stop laying off police officers, fire fighters and closing parks? Grow business.

The days of luring big factories to employ 2000 people are over. Move on Michigan.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:37 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,001,223 times
I hope people realize that the state has a senate and house of representatives and the governor isn't a dictator. Speaking of which, the republicans have held the majority in the Michigan Senate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan