Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 06:55 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialbuddy View Post
I think the yards in the Midwest are bigger in general. Land is expensive out west so people have smaller yards. It's cheaper to fence smaller yards. I know that's why my family never had one. Too many trees in the way and it would cost a lot. How do we keep our dogs in the yard? Dogs can be trained to stick around. The only thing I worry about are rabbits or other small animals. It's pretty hard for any trained dog not to chase small animals.
Huh?

Having lived in MI (and having fenced yards), land is a lot more expensive in MI and other eastern states than in the two western states I have lived; UT and ID. And my yard in ID is a lot larger than any yard I had in MI. And comparing real estate prices between MI and where I currently live in ID, I can get a heck of a lot more house and land for the same price in ID.

And yes, it is cheaper to fence a smaller piece of property, but that is a logical assumption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 06:05 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Huh?

Having lived in MI (and having fenced yards), land is a lot more expensive in MI and other eastern states than in the two western states I have lived; UT and ID. And my yard in ID is a lot larger than any yard I had in MI. And comparing real estate prices between MI and where I currently live in ID, I can get a heck of a lot more house and land for the same price in ID.

And yes, it is cheaper to fence a smaller piece of property, but that is a logical assumption.
Of course land is cheap in Idaho. It's Idaho. The GDP of the entire state of Idaho is the same as the Grand Rapids metro area.

Most new neighborhoods (especially site condominium single family home neighborhoods) don't even allow fences unless you have a pool. And then they don't usually allow chain link, mostly wrought iron/black metal fences.

And as I posted earlier, if you can't keep your dog in your yard without a fence, then you really shouldn't be keeping a dog.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:00 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
There is only one fence in Michigan, and Wilson lives behind it.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:33 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,590,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
There is only one fence in Michigan, and Wilson lives behind it.
Amen.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:49 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,861,614 times
We have two med/large sized dogs and have been having great luck with Invisible Fence (type) fencing, due to HOA "no fences" ordinances. Put our own in and it works great, both in our home in one of our sons'. In the first house we had the original kind, with dog and owner training included.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:51 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
We don't have a fence here in Michigan (don't want one).

We fenced our yard in Montana as did everyone else in the neighborhood.

Our dog stays for the most part but the draw to the lake is just too great sometimes. He'll go swimming and visit the neighbors before he comes home. It's nice to live in the country where people don't mind friendly neighborhood dogs.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:48 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
We looked into putting up a fence around our back yard (about .7 acres) and the price quoted was $8,000. That is why we do not have a fence. I would like one so we can let the dogs roam, and to keep the deer out, but for $8000, the dogs can be happy in their smaller fenced in run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan