Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 02:06 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETSUskier View Post
Sounds great. I have heard really good things about the originally mentioned cities and especially their downtown areas and safety.
You should be fine with Plymouth. It's right next to Livonia and is close to Ann Arbor's nightlife too. If you want to go to Detroit, it is pretty easy as well. I believe it has it's own main street with businesses as well.

plymouth, mi - Google Maps

Sorry I didn't notice the mention of Livonia earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 02:47 PM

7 posts, read 10,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You should be fine with Plymouth. It's right next to Livonia and is close to Ann Arbor's nightlife too. If you want to go to Detroit, it is pretty easy as well. I believe it has it's own main street with businesses as well.

plymouth, mi - Google Maps

Sorry I didn't notice the mention of Livonia earlier.
Appreciate the info. Keep it coming.

I had actually thought about Plymouth as well but thought the drive may be a little much to downtown if business required.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:37 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Within a reasonable drive, you should consider Plymouth, Canton, Northville. Getting out a bit further you could add Novi, Ann Arbor, Trenton, Wyandotte, Grosse Ile, South Lyon. All of these are within half an hour of Livonia and an hour or less from Detroit.

Novi and Canton are basically suburban sprawl (subdivisions and strip malls) with no downtown and somwhat less of a sense of community as a result. Novi is a shopping mecca. There are more malls there than anywhere that I can think of. THere is also a lot of traffic to go tiwth it.

Plymouth and Northville are both quaint old fashioned small towns with a strong sense of community. Plymouth is larger and has a bit more going on. It is also closer to Livonia.

Livonia is not a bad place either. It is basically older (1940s and 1950s) suburban sprawl with some newer subdivisions and lots of stip malls.

Trenton, Wyandotte and Grosse Ile are all on the Detroit River. Wyandotte has the best downtown. It easuly rivals Plymouth, but it is not quite as nice (upscale). Grosse Ile is the nicest cleanest and safest of all of the places that you are considering, but it is quiet, not a "happneing place" and expensive. It is a group of islands accessed by a bridge. Trenton is a nice small very middle class community.

PLaces like Royal Oak, Troy, Birmingham, Ferndale, are too far from Livonia for a reaosnable commute IMO. These are not better than the closer places mentioned above and you have to deal with more traffic, higher prices and you miss out on cities with equal or more character.

However Royal Oak is the happening place for people in their 20s. That commute is not horrid, but it is pushing it. There is no direct route from Royal Oak to Livonia. You have to take a circituous route to get there.

Lookat all fo the citeis as much as you can. There is a lot of very different opporutnities. be sure to tihnk about your daily life and figure out what will actually appeal to you on a day to day living baisis. Sometimes the greatest town to visit, is not the best place for you to live.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:57 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,191 times
696 to 275. Not really a hard route to figure out. The only problem is traffic. If that doesn't tickle your fancy, take Woodward to 8 Mile. The more I think about it, Royal Oak isn't that bad of a drive to Livonia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan