Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 11:10 AM

528 posts, read 885,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Heading back to the Soo March 30th to take another test at Lake Superior State. Went there about a week ago and the place looked like a dump. I've been told there are nice areas so when I had the oppurtunity between Sault Sainte Marie and Grand Rapids, I chose the Soo. Please tell what there is to see and do in a day at the Soo. When I went there I was greeted with ugly smoke stacks, abandoned, run down, dirty buildings, and houses in dire need of repair. Also, where is a good place to get a pasty?
Dear Scolls, you know I'm fond of you. I think beneath all those defensive prickles you wear lies the heart of a very good person.

Did it ever occur to you that you get what you give?

Please, I like you. Don't be so unhappy all the time.

I've head some nice things about Soo... Go talk to the locals, ask them what they'd like you to see of their city. They'll tell you. I've been impressed with the willingness of Michiganders to sing the praises of their beloved homes.

Keep an open mind and heart, will ya?

Have a safe trip too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 11:11 AM

Yeah, it's that reading thing again.

The way threads get revived here always throws me.

So Scolls, did you go? Tell me the nice things you saw. I bet I'll go read, and you already did, right?

Old 10-29-2010, 11:53 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idw2s View Post
Yeah, it's that reading thing again.

The way threads get revived here always throws me.

So Scolls, did you go? Tell me the nice things you saw. I bet I'll go read, and you already did, right?
Sorry...Scolls did not notice ANY good things I am sure of that. And if he did, he would be sarcastic about it. Every town and city has its good and bad. Unfortunately...scolls never sees the good....especially anywhere north.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:31 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,850 times
I ended up going back there again in July. This time it was much nicer. It is a very nice city. I was with some of my relatives who were vacationing. We explored the area around the city and found some beautiful scenery. Lots of nice mountains and hidden lakes. There was just some totally majestic views. I was very impressed with the area. We ended up going through some of the beautiful scenery to a remote park. There was some nice hiking trails we went on that lead to a hill top that gave us a great view of a couple small lakes and miles of forest. Very nice trip.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:33 PM

BTW I was talking about Sault Sainte Marie Canada and the Agawa park in Canada. Sault Sainte Marie Michigan still looked like Saginaw Jr.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
BTW I was talking about Sault Sainte Marie Canada and the Agawa park in Canada. Sault Sainte Marie Michigan still looked like Saginaw Jr.
Well good to know, since I think the people of Saginaw are pretty cool, and there's some pride, even though some might look down on post-industrial middle America.

Glad you're trying new things, Scolls, and trying to keep an open mind. Good for you. I promise, you can show me the best of Detroit when we're settled and ready to explore our new home, okay?

I guarantee, I'll keep an open mind. I'm not the kind of person who finds much there isn't to like, and I have friends from the area I think very highly of. They love their city.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idw2s View Post
Well good to know, since I think the people of Saginaw are pretty cool, and there's some pride, even though some might look down on post-industrial middle America.

Glad you're trying new things, Scolls, and trying to keep an open mind. Good for you. I promise, you can show me the best of Detroit when we're settled and ready to explore our new home, okay?

I guarantee, I'll keep an open mind. I'm not the kind of person who finds much there isn't to like, and I have friends from the area I think very highly of. They love their city.

When you go to Detroit I suggest you go and walk around Delray.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:50 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
The Soo on the Canadian side ...IS like night and day difference , but , its so much larger and does have the best nature to offer. Everyone knows that, nothing new there.
There does seem to be a love-hate relationship between the US side and the Canadian side , not sure why. We have quite a few folks from the US side here in Marquette, many plan on returning to retire some day, but , have found the jobs and the infrastructure remains in Marquette, so , they stay here..... I heard stories that all the night life is on the Canadian side, and the two cities provide bus service for all those celebrators who are too drunk to drive across the border.....may be just a rumor, not sure. I know the few times I visited , we shopped for everything in Canada, but , that was when the exchange rate was more favorable. The same jobs pay more in canada than in the US I am told , so , I can see why there maybe a rift between the Canadians and the Soo-Yoopers.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:53 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,352,111 times
Scolls, are you at all interested in Great Lakes shipping or Michigan history in general? To the west of the locks a couple of blocks is The Valley Camp. It is a former lake freighter; now de-commissioned and turned into a maritime museum. You can tour the ship and go into the hold, where the exhibits are. As I recall there are quite a few salvadge items which washed ashore after the Edmund Fitzgerald sank. Last time we were there, about 5 years ago, the director was Captain, USCG, ret. who lead the search and recovery efforts for the Fitz. They had a very nice bookstore with both offerings of maritime history as well as general history.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:09 PM

Kinda too late for that since I have no intentions or desire to ever go to Sault Sainte Marie again. I do like Michigan history. Fortunately for me Michigan's best history revolves around Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan