Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 04:01 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,191 times

Advertisements

Heading back to the Soo March 30th to take another test at Lake Superior State. Went there about a week ago and the place looked like a dump. I've been told there are nice areas so when I had the oppurtunity between Sault Sainte Marie and Grand Rapids, I chose the Soo. Please tell what there is to see and do in a day at the Soo. When I went there I was greeted with ugly smoke stacks, abandoned, run down, dirty buildings, and houses in dire need of repair. Also, where is a good place to get a pasty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 04:42 PM

493 posts, read 1,447,200 times
It was 1989, but even then the Canadian city of the same name looked much more inviting. I was glad that we didn't stay on the Michigan side.

Even longer ago, but we used to get good pasties in the St. Ignace area.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:12 PM

550 posts, read 2,052,306 times
There are definitely some run-down areas of the Soo....you need to get away from campus a little...head right downtown on Portage St. The locks are closed for winter, but maybe by March 30th they could be open...I know the good old mackinaw cutter takes care of it, but not sure exactly when...ANYWAY....with or without freighters going through it is a cool sight...there is a viewing platform worth going up...if freighters are traversing through the sight is very awesome!

Along portage st. there are many touristy shops and not sure if all of them are open year round....just for the pure surroundings Antlers is fun to check out, i have a friend who loves Ang Gio's italian restaurant, if you like Thai food...Indo China has a location there...same owners as the one in cheboygan-which i love, there are other restaurants...i ate at one just off portage, but forgot the name...very good!

The surrounding areas is what the soo is a wonderful gateway to such as whitefish point, tahquamenon falls, and many well-known natural beauties lake superior for one!

make the most of it, explore off campus (i always thought it was ugly right around campus).....

Old 03-01-2010, 05:21 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,899,397 times
Yes, watching the freighters come through the locks is awesome! They will probably be close to being open at that time. Again, everything is much nicer in the spring and summer when there is green everywhere, so of course things will be dreary. You seem like you are not interested in anything that has to do with the out-of-doors, so again...it will seem pretty dreary and boring to you.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:25 PM

This was my first time in Sault Sainte Marie MI and I was very unimpressed. Last time I was in the area I went to Canada and didn't bother to stop on the Michigan side. I believe I went down Portage st. I was downtown looking for a pasty shop and gave up and went to Subway.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:32 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Don't worry, with your preconceived mindset about everything "Northern Michigan", no matter where you look it will be a dump occupied by toothless inbred yokels. I have faith in you scolls, you will find nothing good and everything bad no matter the reality of a situation. I mean you already call it a ****hole in all of your other posts about the place, why bother with a thread you are go into knowing you will have nothing good to say about the place. Oh yeah, I forgot, it is because you are one of the longest lasting trolls on the Michigan forum.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Don't worry, with your preconceived mindset about everything "Northern Michigan", no matter where you look it will be a dump occupied by toothless inbred yokels. I have faith in you scolls, you will find nothing good and everything bad no matter the reality of a situation.

See you're wrong again. I have never said anything bad about Petoskey. That is what a northern Michigan town should look like. Gaylurd isn't terrible looking, it's just so fake and lame.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Don't worry, with your preconceived mindset about everything "Northern Michigan", no matter where you look it will be a dump occupied by toothless inbred yokels. I have faith in you scolls, you will find nothing good and everything bad no matter the reality of a situation. I mean you already call it a ****hole in all of your other posts about the place, why bother with a thread you are go into knowing you will have nothing good to say about the place. Oh yeah, I forgot, it is because you are one of the longest lasting trolls on the Michigan forum.

I called it a ****hole because the guy from the Soo kept calling Detroit a toilet yet you didn't chastise him. After seeing the town, I'm surprised he had the nerve to call another city a toilet.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:42 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
See you're wrong again. I have never said anything bad about Petoskey. That is what a northern Michigan town should look like. Gaylurd isn't terrible looking, it's just so fake and lame.
And yet you insist on spelling the name of the town wrong, as a not so subtle dig at the place. Who cares if that is the way it is pronounced, there are plenty of places that are spoken different than they are spelled. Nothing like being childish.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
And yet you insist on spelling the name of the town wrong, as a not so subtle dig at the place. Who cares if that is the way it is pronounced, there are plenty of places that are spoken different than they are spelled. Nothing like being childish.

It drives me nuts when people cannot pronounce vowels. When I lived in Detroit, I lived by 8 Mile and Schoenherr. I pronounced it Shoon-Her like it's supposed to be pronounced, but Detroiters pronounce it Shay-Nerr. I'm really trying to pronounce it Gaylurd. People realize I'm an outsider when I pronounce it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan