Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 07:58 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,438,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
You're confusing a couple things here - are you talking about city planning or aesthetics? They are not necessarily mutually inclusive and in fact often exclusive of each other if you're talking about "charm." Think of all the charming European cities with little to no planning. Metro Detroit is actually planned quite well thanks to the grid system of streets from the mile roads. Aesthetically, I think it's quite charming in many places. Drive through Cranbrook or Franklin - absolutely beautiful. Walk around downtown Birmingham. Despite its problem with juvenile deliquents, Belle Isle is quite remarkable. How many urban areas have a large Olmstead park? Manhattan, Boston, and a few others. How many dramatically reside on an entire island?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 04:02 PM

57 posts, read 206,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
Where's South Park, Michigan?
Its the south suburb of Port Huron, though technically on the map its part of the city proper, its its own place its basically the Port Huron Ghetto, and all of the residents refer to it as South Park. Most people think of it as a separate city, Here is a map of where it is,Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-03-2011 at 07:23 AM..

Old 11-20-2010, 07:54 AM

333 posts, read 1,153,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigonation View Post
Most Ugly city in Michigan I believe is probably South Park last time I was there none of the streets in parts of it are even paved, and for senery you get to see an abandon railroad track on one side of the road (I believe 32nd st or something) leading to a factory in the distance, along it are very run down houses and at the other end of that street is an ugly junkyard. Other parts are warehouses and a run down sports bar (south part of Gratiot Blvd). Some of it (24th St) is just a field with a couple of falling down houses and abandon Church with a warehouse on the otherside. This kind of scenery is prevalent throughout the entire city.
<3 dem rednex yall

Link
Link
Link

Old 11-20-2010, 04:20 PM

214 posts, read 705,383 times
Michigan is the best state in the union. There is no "ugly cities," just some cities that have fallen on "ugly times."

Old 11-25-2010, 11:38 PM

6 posts, read 31,166 times
Definitely Flint town, Saginaw, Battle Creek

Old 11-28-2010, 01:55 PM

4,560 posts, read 4,097,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellave View Post
Melvindale and Lincoln Park are pretty depressing, but pale in comparison to Benton Harbor, Flint, and Sagniaw.

I think Port Huron is very beautiful, even the "rougher" areas have charm.
I'm a PoHo native so I'm biased. But the amount of public waterfront land is something really great that the town has going for them. Few other cities can boast that much I think. Especially for the size that Port Huron is.
I think Tawas, T.C., and Alpena are all winners in the beauty department. Petosky too.

Flint has been the worst I've seen in the state. I think its more circumstances of GM screwing up the town and them never recovering than anything.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:15 PM

970 posts, read 2,967,296 times
Ladies and Gentlemen of City-Data, I present to you, Michigan's ugliest city, IMO.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:33 AM

67 posts, read 148,678 times
Wayne County, all encompassing.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:51 AM

122 posts, read 479,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I have been to Flint and I didn't find it ugly at all. The downtown was quite nice.
I heard the downtown was being revived. True?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan