Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 09:41 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I agree.

My take on the effect of unions in Michigan is this: We have unions to thank for the standard of living that the middle class enjoyed during the "good 'ol days" of the auto industry. This is true. However, when you consider that the standard of living was unsustainable... did it really do us any good in the long run?

Look at it this way: If the UAW hadn't bullied the auto companies into such ridiculous contracts, our state never would have experienced the enormous "bubble" in middle-class wealth. And I think we would have been better off. Is it better to experience a short-lived "golden age" that is unsustainable, or to have a somewhat lower standard of living that can actually continue into the future?

In my opinion, the horrific pain of the collapse from the "golden age" of union jobs is much worse than if we had never these wonderful union jobs at all. Now our state is structured for a tax base that will probably never return. In the long run, I think the UAW did everyone a huge disservice by pushing for wages and benefits that eventually led to our collapse. Yes, it was great when times were good. But the bursting bubble is more painful than an uninflated bubble ever could have been.
Just one more reason for National Single payer health car Insurance. The Unions drove up the price of Health care...and the Auto Cos. gave in. They created a high cost problem we all are faced with . Not to blame anyone now , it does no good , what needs to be done..is fix it !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 09:44 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
The Great Lakes, along with the Appalachian Mountains, are my favorite landform in this country. They are so beautiful, and they don't attack you like certain other shorelines...
Me too. Lived in both places many years. Now if we could just move the Blue Rridge up north somehow...

Old 03-06-2010, 08:42 AM

8 posts, read 4,935 times
Michigan has lead the down turn with the collapse of the auto industry, they are the psoter child for how not to do things and how greed although profitable now can destroy the goose in the end. In the end Michigan other than work had no great apeal except to those who live there. It was never and most likely never will be a destination for tourism except for those from nearby areas. As far as a retirement place mostly for only those who worked in the plants of souther MI and wanted to live in the north and then I watched as many of them moved to places like AZ and FL in the end for the great winters.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:28 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmaladeskies View Post
Michigan has lead the down turn with the collapse of the auto industry, they are the psoter child for how not to do things and how greed although profitable now can destroy the goose in the end. In the end Michigan other than work had no great apeal except to those who live there. It was never and most likely never will be a destination for tourism except for those from nearby areas. As far as a retirement place mostly for only those who worked in the plants of souther MI and wanted to live in the north and then I watched as many of them moved to places like AZ and FL in the end for the great winters.
and then, in many cases, moved right back because of the horrific summers. There's a reason why people become snowbirds, lol.

Last edited by canudigit; 03-06-2010 at 10:54 AM..

Old 03-06-2010, 10:52 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:

You can say Michigan has no apeal to people outside the midwest, and in the case of some people you may be right. Not everyone can handle our climate. However Michigan is far nicer and more scenic than sun baked Arizona. Everytime Ive ever been there I wonder what the draw is. Desert, rediculous heat, dead landscapes. This describes 90% of the state. Yea there are some really scenic features in N Arizona, like the grand canyon but most of the state is barren wasteland. Even the flat agricultural parts of Michigan that people out west love to talk about are much nicer than those burned out deserts. I cant wait for the day that all those midwest bashers out in the desert run out of water. I bet thier tune changes when they look at the trillions of gallons of water we are surrounded by. Not one drop folks, you wont get a drop. Well remember all the Michigan bashing you did. Its your desert, you live in it.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:59 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Quote:
And the sunbelt states are the poster child for how not to grow--too fast with very poor planning and overbuilt real estate that resulted in the biggest housing bubble burst in the history of this country. Places like Las Vegas and Phoenix will be digging themselves out of the housing crisis for many years to come. Michigan was built on the automotive industry, those places were built on the construction industry. Looks like they are equally in trouble, except that the automotive industry is starting to make a strong comeback and Michigan, through great tax incentives, is beginning to have a film industry that is attracting people from the Hollywood crowd. Google it if you don't believe me. Michigan is on its way back.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:35 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,986 times
Quote:
I was not even going to respond to this as I did not think it was worth the bother. I am curious though, do you live have you ever lived in Michigan? Your take on everything seems to be based on the news media reports over the past couple of years. The auto companies although a short sighted and based around greed in many peoples eye's did not fall all on their own, neither did our tourist industry that reached much further than the so called NEAR bye states. I seem to recall a certain resource who's price skyrocketed out of control and helped kill our two largest industries. Kill the industries kill the state.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:01 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Am I allowed to love AZ AND MI?

Maybe I'm just weird......

Old 03-07-2010, 07:26 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post

Well I guess we could let you YAZ. But you should only love one....you can like the other but love only one.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:03 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post

I have a feeling you like MI. just a tad bit more...deep down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan