U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2007, 02:25 PM

63 posts, read 259,422 times

Advertisements

We've been looking at for-sale properties and have noticed the great variability in property taxes. Though we have 40 plus acres where we live, we've always been accustomed to low property taxes due to our land classification being "agricultural". In Michigan, is there some sort of classification that takes the sting out of owning multiple acres? Also, what's up with the homestead vs non-homestead rates of taxation?
Thanks,
Hanne in OHio
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 10:30 AM

Does anyone know of any websites where I can find out more about property tax rates and classifications in Michigan?
Hanne

Old 06-03-2007, 05:05 PM

8,885 posts, read 18,098,417 times
Homestead and Non-homestead was set up a few years ago to tax vacation property at a higher rate than your primary home. It was probably a bad idea, but at the time, it lowered primary home tax rates (which everyone is for lower tax rates at all costs it seems).

Don't know about agricultural vs. residential tax rates though. For general tax rates, you usually have to go to the particular county's website where you are looking for a home and then they usually have tax tables.

Old 06-03-2007, 05:13 PM

35 posts, read 167,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanne View Post
We've been looking at for-sale properties and have noticed the great variability in property taxes. Though we have 40 plus acres where we live, we've always been accustomed to low property taxes due to our land classification being "agricultural". In Michigan, is there some sort of classification that takes the sting out of owning multiple acres? Also, what's up with the homestead vs non-homestead rates of taxation?
Thanks,
Hanne in OHio
I surprised our property taxes impress you. Ohio has things like Public Libraries, and the property taxes it takes to pay for them.

Nick

Old 06-04-2007, 05:53 AM

10 posts, read 52,472 times
I think you could talk to some realtors, they know the taxes and tax rates. There is a lot of variability among counties, I moved from Oakland county, one of the richest in the nation to Macomb county and saved at least 35% on my property taxes; we live in a suburb. But now that our school funding has been cut across the board, I expect our property taxes to go up.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:07 AM

3,832 posts, read 5,700,371 times
What area are you wanting to move to? I know that in Genesee county, Thetford Township has the best tax rates. Lapeer County is low compared to Genesee as well. Flint is in Genesee County, if you don't know the areas well.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:19 PM

Thanks, you guys, for the info. Jaynarie, we aren't sure where we're gonna end up but it looks like tax rates will influence our decision.

Frazzledmom, my husband is from Oakland county.

Nick, I looove having those libraries! Tax me if you must.

Magellan, that helps a lot to know what the classification is when we see the tax bill is for a property. What a difference, is some cases.

Mucho thanko,
Hanne

Old 06-09-2007, 08:07 AM
D_J

58 posts, read 613,651 times
Typically agriculture taxes are quite a bit cheaper vs. residential tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or