Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 06:16 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,488 times

Advertisements

I guess New York owes the water to you from the bailouts of the banks and AIG.

I'm just amazed the banks get 700 billion in federal money, and GM and Chrysler get less than 1% of that, and people ***** more about GM and Chrysler. Not to mention about 20-30 of the banks have since failed even with the federal funding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 06:42 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
The State of Michigan already owes the rest of the nation water. They should have directly tied all the bailout money of GM and Chrysler to your water. The highest unemployment in the nation, handouts out the ying yang in the form of UIA benefits, bailout, etc. and for what the feds pay for all that it would be cheaper to buy water from China.

And you all are wrong that you'll just be giving it away........more like it will be taken from you whether you like it or not. It's not just your water,it's the USA remember or are you all just good Americans when it's time for the bailout trough to be filled?
Good Luck with that.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:45 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
The State of Michigan already owes the rest of the nation water. They should have directly tied all the bailout money of GM and Chrysler to your water. The highest unemployment in the nation, handouts out the ying yang in the form of UIA benefits, bailout, etc. and for what the feds pay for all that it would be cheaper to buy water from China.

And you all are wrong that you'll just be giving it away........more like it will be taken from you whether you like it or not. It's not just your water,it's the USA remember or are you all just good Americans when it's time for the bailout trough to be filled?
For the record I did not support bailouts for anyone, but having said that may I remind you that the bank bailouts are much much larger than the auto bailouts. Many states recieved some form of aid. Now to the topic of the water, I say good luck getting it. I think you underestimate how strongly we feel about defending our water rights. I dont know what dried up dead western state you are from, but you will not be getting our water. We will stop you from stealing our water, and no one is coming in here and just taking it. We will defend it.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:48 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
Quote:

Are you even aware that the bailouts of GM and Chrysler affected every state in the country, not just Michigan? Or do you really believe that every Big Three factory, warehouse, corporate office and dealership is inside the state of Michigan? Had GM alone been allowed to crash, it would have had a ripple effect across the entire nation and caused millions of NON-Michiganders to become unemployed. Or...didn't you think of that?

It's not the idea that the Great Lakes water is "our" water as Michigan residents (or as residents of any of the other states that border the Great Lakes). It's the idea that you can't suck the life out of an ecosystem as huge and important as the Great Lakes just to satisfy people who chose to live in a desert so that they wouldn't have to shovel snow. It isn't right to destroy the natural ecology, industry, and beauty of the Great Lakes to provide water to people who don't have to live where they do and could instead opt to live where water is plentiful.

I keep reading posts on the AZ forum about how terrible the economy, housing crisis, and job market is there. Just wait until the water really does start to run low, and no, I don't hope that that happens, and if it does then not for a long time, but if and when it does happen, those people will have to relocate somewhere with water. Whether it will be here in the Great Lakes region or somewhere else, they will have no choice.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:58 PM

GM and the state of Michigan have given plenty to the country. The industrial revolution that made the US an economic power started in Detroit. GM gave back to this country during WWII, they've employed hundreds of thousands of people, and have paid billions in taxes, far exceeding what they received in support or what any single American who whines about "their tax dollars" I can't believe some little douchebag who probably pays a meager pittance in taxes, if any at all, feels he's entitled to steal water. Go suck on a cactus.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:00 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
GM and the state of Michigan have given plenty to the country. The industrial revolution that made the US an economic power started in Detroit. GM gave back to this country during WWII, they've employed hundreds of thousands of people, and have paid billions in taxes, far exceeding what they received in support or what any single American who whines about "their tax dollars" I can't believe some little douchebag who probably pays a meager pittance in taxes, if any at all, feels he's entitled to steal water. Go suck on a cactus.
LOL!

Old 03-07-2010, 07:52 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Wow...never thought I would rep the scolls!

Old 03-07-2010, 08:24 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
I did a little while ago, and have to wait to do it again. I owe him one for that post.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:43 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,351,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Add me to that list, too! Hope springs eternal!

Old 03-07-2010, 08:51 PM

As Dwight Eisenhower once said, "So goes GM, so goes the nation"

Quote:
Estimates are that about 7.1 million U.S. supplier jobs depend on GM, Ford Motor (Charts, Fortune 500) and Chrysler all together. Given its market share and size compared to its U.S. rivals, GM by itself is likely responsible for about 3 million of those jobs.
Impact of GM strike starting to spread as talks resume - Sep. 25, 2007

Here's a hint, there isn't 7.1 million supplier jobs in Michigan. Michigan doesn't owe you **** but I'll tell you what, I'll take a gallon jug and head to the Rogue River at Zug Island and fill it up for you and send it to you. That should more than make up for any amount you have contributed to helping GM or Chrysler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan