Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 03:58 PM

4 posts, read 7,666 times

Advertisements

This is my first post here. I realize this thread has been dormant for over 3 years, but a Google search brought me here and it's been a good read, very educational with regard to glacial and spring-fed lakes with rocky and sandy bottoms vs. less healthy lakes with muddy bottoms. I have a question or two about finding a nice lake in MI, so I'll throw the details of my situation out there and see what kind of feedback I get.

I like the "atmosphere" of being near the water, but I'm not interested in fishing or boating at all. One of the main interests I have in life is dogs. I'm involved in canine rehab, where I take dogs that have been removed from bad situations and "fix them up" both mentally and physically. I think the best way to get dogs in shape physically is swimming. I currently live near the OH/MI line, and up until recently I'd been looking for a piece of land to buy with the intent of having a pond dug and using that for the dogs. It's been frustrating for several reasons. One, I can't find a piece of property I like down here, and two, getting a pond dug is one thing, but keep it healthy and algae free sounds like a full time job in and of itself, so I've reconsidered my "plan" and come to the conclusion that it might make more sense to find a nice clean lake to live on.

That being said, which one? From reading through this thread I've Googled for info on many of the lakes that have been mentioned here, and also on several I've come across from looking though northern MI with Google Maps. I've also used Zillow just to kind of get an idea of what's available. I'm completely uneducated in this area, so I don't even know what questions I should be asking. In addition to what I've learned here, that main thing that stands out to me that I'd want in a location is a place where the water is shallow at the shoreline and a ways out instead of a place where it's 10' deep as soon as you step in the water.

I guess those are the basics. I'll be interested to see what anyone has to say. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 04:30 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,683 times
Tawas City or East Tawas.

Inexpensive, a short drive from the metro, a fun downtown, and a beautiful shoreline with a nice state park and a lighthouse. You get all the basics of any of the fancy cities on the west side of the state, but at a fraction of the price. That being said, if budget isn't really a concern for you there are fancier places along Lake Michigan. I've yet to visit either, but due to their proximity to state parks, Manistee and Glen Arbor would both interest me, but I can't speak much for that side of the state. I have been to Holland, and I liked it. It's a beautiful town with a lot of fun activities. I imagine being on the lake is quite pricey though.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:18 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Tawas City or East Tawas.

Inexpensive, a short drive from the metro, a fun downtown, and a beautiful shoreline with a nice state park and a lighthouse. You get all the basics of any of the fancy cities on the west side of the state, but at a fraction of the price. That being said, if budget isn't really a concern for you there are fancier places along Lake Michigan. I've yet to visit either, but due to their proximity to state parks, Manistee and Glen Arbor would both interest me, but I can't speak much for that side of the state. I have been to Holland, and I liked it. It's a beautiful town with a lot of fun activities. I imagine being on the lake is quite pricey though.
On average, Lake properties with direct access start at one million dollars,and in other places along the shoreline where only a quarter view is the best they have expect to pay 500 to 800 thousand/....in lesser properties as far as houses with Lake views and direct access the land is the value, houses of modest values may be a negative to the land and shoreline.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light_At_End_Of_Tunnel View Post
This is my first post here. I realize this thread has been dormant for over 3 years, but a Google search brought me here and it's been a good read, very educational with regard to glacial and spring-fed lakes with rocky and sandy bottoms vs. less healthy lakes with muddy bottoms. I have a question or two about finding a nice lake in MI, so I'll throw the details of my situation out there and see what kind of feedback I get.

I like the "atmosphere" of being near the water, but I'm not interested in fishing or boating at all. One of the main interests I have in life is dogs. I'm involved in canine rehab, where I take dogs that have been removed from bad situations and "fix them up" both mentally and physically. I think the best way to get dogs in shape physically is swimming. I currently live near the OH/MI line, and up until recently I'd been looking for a piece of land to buy with the intent of having a pond dug and using that for the dogs. It's been frustrating for several reasons. One, I can't find a piece of property I like down here, and two, getting a pond dug is one thing, but keep it healthy and algae free sounds like a full time job in and of itself, so I've reconsidered my "plan" and come to the conclusion that it might make more sense to find a nice clean lake to live on.

That being said, which one? From reading through this thread I've Googled for info on many of the lakes that have been mentioned here, and also on several I've come across from looking though northern MI with Google Maps. I've also used Zillow just to kind of get an idea of what's available. I'm completely uneducated in this area, so I don't even know what questions I should be asking. In addition to what I've learned here, that main thing that stands out to me that I'd want in a location is a place where the water is shallow at the shoreline and a ways out instead of a place where it's 10' deep as soon as you step in the water.

I guess those are the basics. I'll be interested to see what anyone has to say. Thanks.
Water is a natural magnet, as it should be for all humans and animals.As far as likes go in Michigan and elsewhere people seem to gravatate in that direction , again the reflection on prices. Wetlands on the other hand , which includes some inland small lakes can be a deal breaker once the weeds and reeds along with nasty smell takes over. Most people do not wish to live in or near a swamp , one of the reasons most have been drained over the years. All this mostly in the name of maesquitos

Old 02-08-2017, 06:28 PM

4 posts, read 7,666 times
Thanks for the replies. Definitely not interested in living in a swamp... or on one of the Great Lakes (too rough). Looking for a quality inland lake like those mentioned previously in the thread.

Darstar, can you tell me anything about some of these very shallow lakes with sandy bottoms I'm seeing, such as Wycamp and Larks? Maximum depth of less than 10 feet. They certainly wouldn't attract the boating/jetski crowd.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:09 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,012,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
On average, Lake properties with direct access start at one million dollars,and in other places along the shoreline where only a quarter view is the best they have expect to pay 500 to 800 thousand/....in lesser properties as far as houses with Lake views and direct access the land is the value, houses of modest values may be a negative to the land and shoreline.
That is UNTRUE with Tawas City, or East Tawas. You can buy a GREAT, fairly new house right on the shore of Lake Huron, for around $350k. Yes, you can go much higher if you'd like, but you don't have to. This isn't the West side of Michigan, on Lake Michigan which is very expensive.

Lake Huron up there in most places is fairly shallow quite a way out.

There is also Tawas Lake, which is on the backside of town. It's fairly shallow in total, and would be perfect for training dogs. Can't drown, if you stand up.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
That is UNTRUE with Tawas City, or East Tawas. You can buy a GREAT, fairly new house right on the shore of Lake Huron, for around $350k. Yes, you can go much higher if you'd like, but you don't have to. This isn't the West side of Michigan, on Lake Michigan which is very expensive.

Lake Huron up there in most places is fairly shallow quite a way out.

There is also Tawas Lake, which is on the backside of town. It's fairly shallow in total, and would be perfect for training dogs. Can't drown, if you stand up.
Yes , I was talking about lake Michigan. I honestly know little about lake Huron......now if you want to use Georgian Bay , home prices are expensive , but then thats in Ca.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:54 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,683 times
Houghton Lake - you can buy a decent condition home with lake access there for 100k. It's a beautiful, big lake in the middle of the woods. It's not far from a few built up towns like Roscommon, West Branch, and Grayling.

Houghton Lake, MI Real Estate & Homes for Sale - realtor.com®

A few miles north is Higgins Lake which would be another option.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Houghton Lake - you can buy a decent condition home with lake access there for 100k. It's a beautiful, big lake in the middle of the woods. It's not far from a few built up towns like Roscommon, West Branch, and Grayling.

Houghton Lake, MI Real Estate & Homes for Sale - realtor.com®

A few miles north is Higgins Lake which would be another option.
Houghton Lake was always a place we avoided if at all possabe ......a summer party experence with cheap beer, thats about it......or at lest thats the way we saw it........go north and cross the Mac. life is better.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light_At_End_Of_Tunnel View Post
Thanks for the replies. Definitely not interested in living in a swamp... or on one of the Great Lakes (too rough). Looking for a quality inland lake like those mentioned previously in the thread.

Darstar, can you tell me anything about some of these very shallow lakes with sandy bottoms I'm seeing, such as Wycamp and Larks? Maximum depth of less than 10 feet. They certainly wouldn't attract the boating/jetski crowd.
As I have said before, find a glacial lake if you can, most are east west orentation , sand bottom , spring fed , does not get better than that.......Fire Lake , Lake genevia , etc. .... If you want a laid back less expensive lake then do your homework. You can learn a lot from the DNR and Reperian Rights websites. Spring fed is rare these days, but they are out there........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan