Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 08:55 AM

845 posts, read 1,348,496 times

Advertisements

I've been really working around the clock. Steering away from playing video games, watching TV all day to finding good, in-demand jobs here in Michigan. I know the economy hasn't bounced back yet, nor will it for a long time. I am working with Michigan Works to go for training and at least get an Associates degree in either IT or CAD/CAM.

I have at least 5 years experience in CAD already. I've been told to just go for a degree in CAD, sense I have some experience behind it. I also went through training in multiple CAD systems.

I look at all the major job-sites in Michigan. I constantly update my resumes, look at linkedin, watch the news for job increase in such areas, check out websites about indemand jobs in Michigan and tons more. I seem to add more research day-by-day.

The idea here is to find out if an associates degree would be good to work for or am I wasting my time and money and should just go find a job working at BK for the rest of my life (or find a job that will hire for little to no experience).

Alright, to end my negative rant, I do want to get an associates degree in something. That is my goal.

On another question, for some reason I want to learn a second language. I've taken Spanish in middle school and French in high school (3 out of the 4 years). Do any of you see anything good going for IT or CAD with knowledge in a second language?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 10:43 AM

693 posts, read 2,257,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post
I've been really working around the clock. Steering away from playing video games, watching TV all day to finding good, in-demand jobs here in Michigan. I know the economy hasn't bounced back yet, nor will it for a long time. I am working with Michigan Works to go for training and at least get an Associates degree in either IT or CAD/CAM.

I have at least 5 years experience in CAD already. I've been told to just go for a degree in CAD, sense I have some experience behind it. I also went through training in multiple CAD systems.

I look at all the major job-sites in Michigan. I constantly update my resumes, look at linkedin, watch the news for job increase in such areas, check out websites about indemand jobs in Michigan and tons more. I seem to add more research day-by-day.

The idea here is to find out if an associates degree would be good to work for or am I wasting my time and money and should just go find a job working at BK for the rest of my life (or find a job that will hire for little to no experience).

Alright, to end my negative rant, I do want to get an associates degree in something. That is my goal.

On another question, for some reason I want to learn a second language. I've taken Spanish in middle school and French in high school (3 out of the 4 years). Do any of you see anything good going for IT or CAD with knowledge in a second language?
It sounds like your doing the right things, although the problem is the sheer competition that is in the market right now. Employers have such a long blacklist of qualified applicants that they can be very selective. This, unfortunately squeezes young people out of the employment picture. You may (and I had to do this) is get a job in something completely not related to your field until you can find a suitable opening, keep contacts in the field as your are doing now. A degree will certainly be of your advantage, but again employers (in my view and experience) are biased in selecting those who have experience over education due to a stereotypical view that young college grads are not going to be productive.

Your certainly not the only one in your shoes, keep networking and exposing yourself in the market, get your degree and take whatever position you can with related experience.

Good Luck!

Old 03-08-2010, 11:55 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
I spent more than a year applying for all sorts of Michigan jobs; from professional careers requiring a bachelor's degree to burger flipper at McDonalds, with no offers. Sometimes I got to the interview stage, sometimes I got a form letter/e-mail rejection, usually just deadly silence. I applied to literally thousands of postings (not an exaggeration!) The competition was stiff, every posting I applied to had hundreds of applicants. I really wanted to stay in Michigan, but realized it just wasn't going to happen. I sent out some resumes to North Dakota back in January, and within a week I was employed. The economy in MI is just plain dead right now, and unless you know someone who can hire you, it will be extremely difficult to find a job.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:21 PM

93,191 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
I spent more than a year applying for all sorts of Michigan jobs; from professional careers requiring a bachelor's degree to burger flipper at McDonalds, with no offers. Sometimes I got to the interview stage, sometimes I got a form letter/e-mail rejection, usually just deadly silence. I applied to literally thousands of postings (not an exaggeration!) The competition was stiff, every posting I applied to had hundreds of applicants. I really wanted to stay in Michigan, but realized it just wasn't going to happen. I sent out some resumes to North Dakota back in January, and within a week I was employed. The economy in MI is just plain dead right now, and unless you know someone who can hire you, it will be extremely difficult to find a job.
If you don't mind me asking, what type of work did you end up getting work in? You can PM me if you want.

Also, places like Wyoming, the Dakotas, Nebraska and many college towns seem to be the places to look in terms of jobs, as far as lower unemployment. Any place with a strong government job presence(DC, Denver, etc..) would be good now too.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:14 PM

197 posts, read 378,670 times
Quote:
That is really refreshing to hear, always good to know there is an out.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what type of work did you end up getting work in? You can PM me if you want.

Also, places like Wyoming, the Dakotas, Nebraska and many college towns seem to be the places to look in terms of jobs, as far as lower unemployment. Any place with a strong government job presence(DC, Denver, etc..) would be good now too.
I'm working for a non-profit community org, doing mostly grant writing and fundraising (I have experience in freelance writing). I also may do some work for the local airport (I also have exp. in aviation, hence my username "flyingwriter").

Old 03-08-2010, 01:44 PM

The unemployment rate in ND is 4.4%, which is effectively full employment, and the lowest UE rate in the country. Michigan's is the highest at 14.7%. Amazingly, the biggest problem in ND isn't lack of jobs, it's lack of housing for new employees moving in from out of state.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:57 PM

93,191 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
The unemployment rate in ND is 4.4%, which is effectively full employment, and the lowest UE rate in the country. Michigan's is the highest at 14.7%. Amazingly, the biggest problem in ND isn't lack of jobs, it's lack of housing for new employees moving in from out of state.
Yep......That's why cities like Fargo, Grand Forks and South Dakota cities like Sioux Falls and Rapid City are growing.

Part of it could be due to being an area that still is heavily based in agriculture and not used to being sought after too much, until now.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:19 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
Since you do have CAD experience, do you have contacts that could help you land a job?

I know someone with an Associates in CAD from ITT who graduated in 2004 and at the time only found 2 full time unpaid internships. He probably should have taken one because he now does oil changes at a car dealership.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:30 AM

845 posts, read 1,348,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Since you do have CAD experience, do you have contacts that could help you land a job?

I know someone with an Associates in CAD from ITT who graduated in 2004 and at the time only found 2 full time unpaid internships. He probably should have taken one because he now does oil changes at a car dealership.
Thanks everyone for some feedback.

Yes. I've been talking to some managers/program managers where I use to work at. They would forward job opportunities to me in the same field. Linkedin has been a great resource for me, too. A few of the people I talked to with other companies has sent their info or me sending mine to them, has opened even more job opportunities there.

However, the same outcome has come up. A lot of these contacts are looking for designers or workers with some college background, which I have none. Sending out resumes and cover letters have proved fruitful but hasn't turned useful yet. So I'm still looking to attend school for advancing in CAD or turning over to something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: