Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 03:59 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,351,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
If you take a look at every act on every day on every month of every year at the Grande Ballroom at this website , it really does make one wonder why the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame was put in Cleveland (nothing against Cleveland ) The Grande Ballroom was often referred to the '' Fillmore East '' after the Fillmore in San Francisco during that/my era . Bands wanted to play at the Fillmore and the Grande Ballroom . I think they should just put the Hall of Fame on a barge , float it up here and unload it in downtown Detroit where it belongs lol Each day of every month is clickable to see who played on those dates :
The Grande Ballroom Show List
Wingnatic, I can remember when I was about 11 and growing up in Royal Oak impatiently waiting until my 21st birthday so I could go to the Roostertail to see the Supremes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 04:18 PM

147 posts, read 522,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
That, my friend, is the $64,0000 question! I don't think it was James Brown. First, I have no memory of James Brown recording with Motown. Second, there was a point in the movie where he was asking his entourage who was the first to wear shiny clothes, scream during the song, and fall down on stage. Then he answers himself by saying it wasn't Little Richard or JB (James Brown) or someone else whose name escapes me at the moment.

I thought perhaps it was supposed be Marvin Gaye, he was the most notable singer to challenge Barry Gordy and the status quo as far as creative license vs marketing. In the movie, Eddie Murphy is seen recording a 'message' song and wearing that knit cap like Gaye did. However, I believe Gaye came from gospel music and doo wop rather than rockabilly so he wouldn't have changed his style dramatically.

There was a singer, who did start in rockabilly like Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis, who sang for Motown. His music style did change, but I don't think he had as great success as some other Motown singers. His name was Marv Johnson. He did not die from a drug overdose, though. In fact, my research shows no one who fits the bill who died from an OD. There were some members of the Temptations and/or Miracles who did OD, but I am not aware of a single act who did, unless you want to count Micheal Jackson, and even he didn't start as a single. (And of course, he hadn't passed when this musical was written.)

I am wondering if the Eddie Murphy character isn't a composite of several individuals in order to bring these issues in without bogging down the storyline.
You are one smart Mama. Yes, I do think he is a composite of some of the famous motown male singers of that era. Absolutely!
Marvin was so very cool in his persona and songs...Eddie Murphy's character was kind of a egotistic jerk with dew rag hair.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:25 PM

147 posts, read 522,302 times
Quote:
If you take a look at every act on every day on every month of every year at the Grande Ballroom at this website , it really does make one wonder why the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame was put in Cleveland (nothing against Cleveland ) The Grande Ballroom was often referred to the '' Fillmore East '' after the Fillmore in San Francisco during that/my era . Bands wanted to play at the Fillmore and the Grande Ballroom . I think they should just put the Hall of Fame on a barge , float it up here and unload it in downtown Detroit where it belongs lol Each day of every month is clickable to see who played on those dates :
Wing...The classic...Grande Ballroom!!! I think the Grande was BETTER than Fillmore West in SF. Lived in San Francisco for 4 years...I went there every Friday/Saturday night in the early 70's! The Grande was much cooler. Of course, I couldn't remember a whole lot///heeheeehe! Oh Boy!

Yep. Float that barge north, unload it in Detroit where it belongs.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:33 PM

902 posts, read 1,926,143 times
Yes if you remember that era , then heck I dunno its kinda fuzzy to me lol I remember for a few years they had '' kite-in's '' at Belle Isle in very early spring . We'd bring kites to fly and other stuff like beer , wine , etc . One year Bob Segar played at the kite in , I think it was his Back In '72 album lol There wasn't just one station that played Motown , all the rock stations played Motown as well , come on its Detroit ! Motown was and will always be on the very top of my preferred music , we still to this day have it on at the house here .
Here's alittle info on Dreamgirls , look in the cast area under Eddie Murphy about halfway down the page .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamgirls_(film)

Old 03-16-2010, 04:47 PM

902 posts, read 1,926,143 times
I couldn't possibly pick my favorite Motwn act , but right up near the top would be Marvin Gaye . And here's a great tribute to Marvin and Jackie Wilson by another Motown act .

YouTube - The Commodores - Nightshift Live (1985)

Old 03-16-2010, 05:17 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,986,231 times
Quote:
Nothing against Cleveland but you are right. Just another example of why it's a sham.

Speaking of Detroit music and the Grande Ballroom I suggest you read Grit, Noise, and Revolution: The Birth of Detroit Rock 'n' Roll by David Carson. I think you'll dig it if you lived the Ballroom. I didn't and I still love this book.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:28 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,351,683 times
Quote:
Yes if you remember that era , then heck I dunno its kinda fuzzy to me lol I remember for a few years they had '' kite-in's '' at Belle Isle in very early spring . We'd bring kites to fly and other stuff like beer , wine , etc . One year Bob Segar played at the kite in , I think it was his Back In '72 album lol There wasn't just one station that played Motown , all the rock stations played Motown as well , come on its Detroit ! Motown was and will always be on the very top of my preferred music , we still to this day have it on at the house here .
Here's alittle info on Dreamgirls , look in the cast area under Eddie Murphy about halfway down the page .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamgirls_(film)
This is interesting, except for the fact that James Brown did not sing under the Motown label or any of its subsidaries, nor did he try to expand his musical style to sing 'message songs' or love ballads. While I agree that Murphy used Brown as his inspiration, I still think the James Early character is a composite of several Motown singers in many respects. But an interesting article regardless, Wing, thanks for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan