Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 06:20 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,001,223 times

Advertisements

After 7 miserable months I'm finally leaving Gaylurd. At the end of March I'm leaving and only returning one more time to go to Alpenfest because I'm dying to see how a bunch of rednecks have a Bavarian festival in a city with no history.

Now I got a job in Bloomfield Hills lined up for the beginning of April. I have a home in Harper Woods so that will be a lengthy daily commute. My fiance works at St Johns so obviously it's convenient for her. We have been thinking, and it's like we aren't going to have kids in the near future. I don't particularly care for upkeep on a house. I have always been one who enjoyed condo living, particularly high rises. My fiance is starting to come around on this. We don't need a yard or good school for kids.

We have some tenants lined up who are friends of ours and we can trust, to rent out the Harper Woods house and make a small profit. Royal Oak seems to be a good halfway point so we have relatively equal commutes. Royal Oak seems to have the condos and the atmosphere I'm looking for. I'm interested in a downtown that is full of buildings with cheezy Bavarian facades and half empty and closed store fronts. I'm not a culture person but I do crave something more than a Mexican restaurant in a Swiss themed building.

I guess my question is, what are the condos renting and/or selling for in Royal Oak? Does Royal Oak really have an urban feel or is it just lame like Gaylord? I'm hoping to hear from everyday people in Royal Oak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 06:47 PM

970 posts, read 2,967,296 times
While I don't live there, i do go to Royal Oak with some frequency. It's nothing spectacular really. While downtown is very nice with almost a Birmingham feel, it is very expensive to live in the 'lofts' that are going up there. However, go outside of downtown and you may confuse it with Hazel Park, with all the postwar, cheaply built bungalows mixed in with 1950's ranch houses. You may even start to see some boarded up buildings. If I were to move to Royal Oak, I'd either save up to buy a loft downtown, or skip the city altogether.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:52 PM

Oh, there's something wrong with cities with bungalows?

Old 03-15-2010, 07:00 PM

No, not in the least bit. I lived in a Bungalow in Detroit for quite some time. You said you're looking for condos and atmosphere. A bungalow certainly isn't a condo, and the generic appearance of bungalows don't really provide atmosphere.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:04 PM

Are there bungalows on the main streets of Royal Oak? Are they downtown?

Old 03-15-2010, 07:06 PM

No. Downtown is almost entirely storefront and lofts. The bungalows and ranches and other single-family homes start about 5 blocks out of downtown.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:10 PM

Since I won't be hanging out on the residential streets, I really don't care if the town has bungalows or quasi huts

Old 03-15-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Since I won't be hanging out on the residential streets, I really don't care if the town has bungalows or quasi huts
well, that wont be an issue then. only problem is the lofts downtown are quiet upscale, and may run $300,000+

Old 03-15-2010, 07:18 PM

I've been seeing quite a few under 200k. Only need 2 bedrooms. I also wouldn't be opposed to renting. I'm only looking for a loft/condo. Not interested in a house. Might as well stay in my cheaply made 1950's bungalow.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:36 PM

I don't know...you can buy so much for $200,000 in other areas. I purchased my home for $210,000 in 2008. It's a new construction ranch home in a beautiful subdivision with 3 bedrooms and a granite/maple kitchen, and a great room with a tray ceiling and fireplace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan