Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 02:58 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,862,068 times

Advertisements

Thats corny lol...I love cornstalkers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 02:59 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,166,019 times
Films are being made in Michigan by Michiganders. Take a look at one production company and a guy, Rich Brauer, who has done a number of films in MI. He shoots all over the State, but very often in and around the Traverse area including Leland/Fishtown/Leelanau.
Brauer Productions: Productions: Feature Films
The notion of a Michigan based production company and all else that is implied in the OP's first post is really naive, I'm sorry to say.
The larger business is in Southern California and, to a lesser degree, New York. That's not going to change. What WILL change, and is changing, is the image that Michigan has in the film community. As people work in and around our state they're seeing what the state is really like, and many are getting a good first impression.
Michigander Michael Moore has had a significant impact also, both with his films and with the incredible success of the Traverse Film Festival (going on now) and the phoenix-like rise of the State Theater in downtown TC. He's working on a project to help other towns save and restore their often defunct downtown movie theaters. For it's size the State Theater is one of the most successful film venues in the country. It's largely staffed by volunteers, as is the film festival.
You don't have to like Mr. Moore's politics to appreciate that he's given Michigan and especially the Grand Traverse area a spectacular gift. The festival and the theater have taken TC's downtown to a new level of success and vitality.
Traverse City Film Festival | July 27 - August 1, 2010
http://www.absolutemichigan.com/dig/...film-festival/
History of the State Theatre - Traverse City State Theatre

Old 07-31-2010, 03:35 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,262,971 times
It was kind of a bummer when Home Improvement went off the air. It's a shame Tim Allen did not write more locations into the show like he did when they went to Traverse City. I loved the references all the time to Michigan on that show along with his Lions and Red Wing hat's/jerseys etc.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:38 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,262,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
Films are being made in Michigan by Michiganders. Take a look at one production company and a guy, Rich Brauer, who has done a number of films in MI. He shoots all over the State, but very often in and around the Traverse area including Leland/Fishtown/Leelanau.
Brauer Productions: Productions: Feature Films
The notion of a Michigan based production company and all else that is implied in the OP's first post is really naive, I'm sorry to say.
The larger business is in Southern California and, to a lesser degree, New York. That's not going to change. What WILL change, and is changing, is the image that Michigan has in the film community. As people work in and around our state they're seeing what the state is really like, and many are getting a good first impression.
Michigander Michael Moore has had a significant impact also, both with his films and with the incredible success of the Traverse Film Festival (going on now) and the phoenix-like rise of the State Theater in downtown TC. He's working on a project to help other towns save and restore their often defunct downtown movie theaters. For it's size the State Theater is one of the most successful film venues in the country. It's largely staffed by volunteers, as is the film festival.
You don't have to like Mr. Moore's politics to appreciate that he's given Michigan and especially the Grand Traverse area a spectacular gift. The festival and the theater have taken TC's downtown to a new level of success and vitality.
Traverse City Film Festival | July 27 - August 1, 2010
http://www.absolutemichigan.com/dig/...film-festival/
History of the State Theatre - Traverse City State Theatre

Did Ernest Borgnine retire in Michigan or what?

Old 07-31-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
Did Ernest Borgnine retire in Michigan or what?
Nope. He and Brauer have a great friendship, and he likes to work, so he has done a couple things up here with Brauer's company. They shot in Fishtown and did most of another film (Barn Red) at a cherry farm not far from here.

A lot of the "Traverse City" stuff in Home Improvement was shot in Leelanau County, where Tim Allen has had a home(s) for years, both during and after his marriage. I just saw him a couple weeks ago in Leland, cruising in a beautiful customized old car. Other than the wheels he keeps a very low profile when he's here.
Character actor Al Melvin (neighbor on All in the Family, Sam the butcher on Brady Bunch, Andy Griffith show, Phil Silvers Show (Sgt Bilko's buddy) had a summer place up here for many years and I'd see him around town all the time. A very nice guy. He died a year or so ago.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:38 PM

A Leland couple, Jim Carpenter/Becky Reynolds, produced a movie last year that has won 7 various awards at film festivals this year. Wasn't shot here, but their next venture supposedly will be.
http://www.christinathemovie.com/

Earlier in the Spring part of the low budget horror film Creep Van was shot here also. Lit up downtown Leland for 3 nights running.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:26 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,476,114 times
Very cool thread. I can't understand people who are opposed to the Michigan film tax credits. I know that it costs the state money up front, but like any investment it takes time to grow. Give it some time and the benefits will be realized through new tax revenue, employers, a new industry, and good PR for the state. There are some big Hollywood productions going on this summer Downtown and across Metro. Plus, we're helping get homegrown movie companies up and running while keeping them competitive with other states like CA and cities like Toronto, which gives out similar tax breaks.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:24 AM

57 posts, read 205,838 times
Movies like 8 Mile and Detroit inner city "gangster" movies and dramas like America on lifetime made in Detroit (the only thing a lot of people will see when it comes to movies made in Michigan because most people I know don't pay attention to locations of movies unless its location specific) don't help our cause much that's for sure. It does make for good entertainment but no one wants to live in a place that they mistakenly think is mostly like in those movies and Detroit gets an overly bad REP as well since there are plenty of interesting things in that city I have been down there several times and its quite interesting. The first exposure to a "big city" I actually ever had was there and I instantly thought wow its Amazing.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:09 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,862,068 times
I hear Miley Cyrus and Demi Moore were spotted recently in the area. Demi Moore at a tigers game and bar, Miley also at some bar...is she 21? hmm...anyways, here making some corny movie, but its great for Michigan!

Old 08-10-2010, 01:20 PM

374 posts, read 1,120,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
I hear Miley Cyrus and Demi Moore were spotted recently in the area. Demi Moore at a tigers game and bar, Miley also at some bar...is she 21? hmm...anyways, here making some corny movie, but its great for Michigan!
Heard Miley Cyrus went to Cedar Point for the weekend, well thats nothing everyone goes there, but they're in Detroit making some film called LOL.... Yeah the title even sounds corny. And premiering this fall on ABC..... Detroit 187.... Wow, love how Hollywood portrays Detroit to the rest of the world (sarcasm). If Ohio had the same tax incentives, Hollywood might make a TV series about child prostitutes in Toledo....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan