Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 06:07 AM

115 posts, read 300,738 times

Advertisements

To my way of thinking, the main reason by far that Michigan has a not-so-glamorous imagine in the minds of many throughout the world is because Hollywood has done a pile-driver on the state for decades.

How many times have you seen one of those late shows where the two "stars" are talking and making it seem as if the only places that are cool are California and New York? I recall once watching one of these shows and they had someone on it say that he was from Michigan and one of the jerks made a disparaging remark to the guy, saying something to the effect that he wasn't cool because he was from Michigan, and no one batted an eye at his rudeness.

Michigan needs to get its act together and start producing HIGH-QUALITY shows in and about the state ... and the people that live there -- create a whole "Michigan Film Industry" from the ground up! Leave all the California people out of the productions ... and just take the bull by the horns and create a *positive image* so as to cause the rest of the world to say, "Wow! What a cool place! What cool people!"

And if one really wanted to return some of the dirt that many in California (and elsewhere) have been trashing people from Michigan with, then resort to inserting in said productions various types of crap that'll smear the image of those that have been doing the smearing for so long; e.g., show people now and then wearing t-shirts that say "California" on them and have THEM look hideous and sound stupid! (While the Michiganders look fabulous and sound like geniuses!)

The main thing is to never permit someone else from somewheres else to define for the rest of the world what you are via the incredible power of the television medium. Some rich person with a little vision could turn it all around for Michigan by running with this idea ... .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 06:48 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,865,656 times
I think it will eventually happen with all these movie companies coming to Michigan. What kind of movie could be made to make Michigan look awesome?

Old 03-19-2010, 02:17 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,060,095 times
Jimmy Kimmel had his show at the Gem theatre during the Superbowl in 06. Maybe securing him in somekind of contract to come back and make it permanent.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
I think it will eventually happen with all these movie companies coming to Michigan. What kind of movie could be made to make Michigan look awesome?
Well, I was thinking more of a production company that would be along the lines of something like PBS. Something that would produce quality and have some meat on the bones, so to speak (without being too politically left or right).

Said company could have a branch to include productions that would capitalize on the talent of Michigan writers, and thus do programs similar to that long-running British soapbox show (that I can't think of the name at the moment) as well as similar shows to it.

It would be a company that would set-up some screenwriting competition to help foster the notion among Michigan youth that they can, via their writing skills, create a *much better image* of the state and its people, while at the same time demolishing the "Michigan's nothing more than an industrial junkyard" image outsiders have so ignorantly put forth.

It would be good, for example, to do a well researched "special series" showing how the State played such a significant role in helping to win both world wars due to quickly changing automotive production lines over to building jeeps and tanks and such to aid the military effort.

Also, another good thing to do would be to connect the dots showing how Michigan really got the ball rolling with America's standard of living when auto companies began paying regular people very good wages, a fact that the arrogant snots in Hollywood somehow managed to blow by.

The possibilities are endless.

How many times have we had it shoved down our throats that "if California was a country, it would have the 7th most powerful economy in the world"?

While it's true that California is an amazing state in many ways, what they leave out in this particular boast is that if Mississippi had had as much federal dollars over the decades pumped into its economy via all the defense contracts (courtesy of ALL American tax payers!), IT could make the same boast!

Basically, I just want to see Michigan have its own far-reaching media machine to bring back some balance ... as well as give us long-suffering folks that were born there a little of the glory that our state deserves. (And God knows how much it would help the self-image of our youth!!)

Old 03-19-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwo85 View Post
Jimmy Kimmel had his show at the Gem theatre during the Superbowl in 06. Maybe securing him in somekind of contract to come back and make it permanent.
Hmm he's a talent, for sure. But I would prefer that MICHIGAN TALENT be used as much as possible, as coming from the heart of a Native can make a difference. Plus there's something about that whole Hollywood mentality that so many of these overpaid, overrated people reek of that I find nauseating.

You know, thinking about all those zillions of dollars that the University of Michigan has, one would think that it would behoove the governor to make a phone call to arrange a meeting to get the ball rolling. But then again, I suppose that such a thing runs against the grain of how our wonderful free enterprise system works; that private investors are what's needed.

(Thanks for indulging me in my silly ramblings!!)

Old 03-19-2010, 06:03 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,264,217 times
Although I agree that it would be cool to have a Michigan production company I don't agree with worrying about trying to make Michigan more appealing to people outside of Michigan. I could give a flying turd what people think of Michigan and you could not pay me to live in California or New York. At least not in Hollywood or big city part of New York. Screw those people and anyone who dog's Michigan. Bunch of morons who's opinion should not matter to anyone who lives here and I don't care if we look cool or desirable for people to want to come here.

Another thought is I would rather see something made by talented average Joe's than professional actors/actresses. Hollywood types and even some local talent are just too strange and so high and mighty on themselves I could care less to see them in our state. Know what I mean?

Old 03-20-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
Although I agree that it would be cool to have a Michigan production company I don't agree with worrying about trying to make Michigan more appealing to people outside of Michigan. I could give a flying turd what people think of Michigan and you could not pay me to live in California or New York. At least not in Hollywood or big city part of New York. Screw those people and anyone who dog's Michigan. Bunch of morons who's opinion should not matter to anyone who lives here and I don't care if we look cool or desirable for people to want to come here.

Another thought is I would rather see something made by talented average Joe's than professional actors/actresses. Hollywood types and even some local talent are just too strange and so high and mighty on themselves I could care less to see them in our state. Know what I mean?
I can appreciate your attitude about not giving a crap about what others think of Michigan and its citizens; there's something very "real" about being that way. But I'm a little insecure and prefer to have others think well of us, if possible.

With regard to your last paragraph: Yes; I do know what you mean.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:35 AM

845 posts, read 1,343,265 times
There are films going on right now, not exactly big films like 'Batman, the Dark Knight' but there are films being made.

I bring up the Batman movie because I heard they were looking for a set on a ship and found what they're were looking for in Manistee, Mi. However, the backdrop was to be considered as a Chicago-looking backdrop. They were going to take the ship from Manistee and move it to Chicago but this was more money then making a set in Hollywood.

Another movie to look forward to is Frontier Boys. Which has been shooting all around Northwestern Michigan. I had the experience first hand when I had to stop in traffic going through Mancelona, Mi one night. Its really awesome to see this kind of stuff going on when you know how bad the economy is, especially for this area.

There were a few other ones going on too, during the winter in Traverse City and one in Charlevioux but I can't recall their names.

One more thing to add; Michael Moore, in Traverse City has been pushing the big known companies like Warner Bros to come up here and use this area in their films. He's also created the Film Festival in Traverse City, which was a HUGE hit here. He has been a great asset to the area and our community.

What kind of movies do you think Michigan can produce? Give a film set like action, adventure, drama...anything. I'm wondering what these up and coming producers can make in Michigan and maybe even change the look of our beautiful state.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:07 PM

550 posts, read 2,046,377 times
I googled The Frontier Boys and found this:

Crew needed for The Frontier Boys Film | Crew Opportunities | Jobs & Training | Michigan Film Office

Looks really cool

Old 03-23-2010, 04:12 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,865,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post
There are films going on right now, not exactly big films like 'Batman, the Dark Knight' but there are films being made.

I bring up the Batman movie because I heard they were looking for a set on a ship and found what they're were looking for in Manistee, Mi. However, the backdrop was to be considered as a Chicago-looking backdrop. They were going to take the ship from Manistee and move it to Chicago but this was more money then making a set in Hollywood.

Another movie to look forward to is Frontier Boys. Which has been shooting all around Northwestern Michigan. I had the experience first hand when I had to stop in traffic going through Mancelona, Mi one night. Its really awesome to see this kind of stuff going on when you know how bad the economy is, especially for this area.

There were a few other ones going on too, during the winter in Traverse City and one in Charlevioux but I can't recall their names.

One more thing to add; Michael Moore, in Traverse City has been pushing the big known companies like Warner Bros to come up here and use this area in their films. He's also created the Film Festival in Traverse City, which was a HUGE hit here. He has been a great asset to the area and our community.

What kind of movies do you think Michigan can produce? Give a film set like action, adventure, drama...anything. I'm wondering what these up and coming producers can make in Michigan and maybe even change the look of our beautiful state.

I love movies that are filmed mostly outside, and show the beauty of an area. I think some kind of outdoorsy movie filmed in Michigan would be a big hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan