Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2010, 02:51 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

Auto sales are up, even for the Big Three. The worst may be over for US automakers – and for Michigan.

Rising auto sales could rescue Michigan, Big Three / The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 05:37 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,055 times
Yes, when things were bad most everyone was crying doomsday. Those of us who are realistic knew this type of thing has happened before in the past, and everything would work itself out. Of course there are still a lot of things that need to work themselves out, but it is happening...and will happen.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:59 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
Yes, this is great news for Michigan, BUT...my fear is that if things improve in the domestic automotive industry Michigan will become complacent again and rest on its laurels as a one industry state. As the near collapse of the Big Three showed us all too well, no state had better hitch its wagon to one industry in this day and age. Those days are gone forever. The burgeoning film industry in Michigan is a good start at diversification, but even at that, our state still needs to find more and more industries to depend upon if and when the Big Three ever go through such times as these again. If we don't learn our lesson after these past several years, we never will.

But, again, this is great news for our beautiful state. I saw something cool yesterday in Ann Arbor: I walked past a car in a parking lot that had an arrow-shaped magnet on the trunk with the arrow pointing towards the car's Chevrolet logo that said on it "I'm doing my part". I thought that was cute!

Old 03-26-2010, 09:09 AM

536 posts, read 1,871,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Yes, this is great news for Michigan, BUT...my fear is that if things improve in the domestic automotive industry Michigan will become complacent again and rest on its laurels as a one industry state. As the near collapse of the Big Three showed us all too well, no state had better hitch its wagon to one industry in this day and age. Those days are gone forever. The burgeoning film industry in Michigan is a good start at diversification, but even at that, our state still needs to find more and more industries to depend upon if and when the Big Three ever go through such times as these again. If we don't learn our lesson after these past several years, we never will.
I agree. My company (Automotive) has been hiring and things seem to be looking up. Unfortunately, as you wrote, the big fear is repeating our mistakes. Hopefully we will diversify. Things are happening, but it is going to be a slow journey.

I don't see anything being done differently in automotive. Same old processes/practices, same old routine. The good thing is that when sales are up, it almost doesn't matter how we get it done.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:50 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Don't hold your breath on this one. First, the big three aren't that big anymore. Second, there's a lot of competion for car sales. While Ford will, definitely, make a come back. The "BIG THREE" will not employ nearly the people they once did ever again. All increased auto sales means is the blood letting stops. The people who lost their jobs (myself included) won't get their jobs back.

What is going to happen to the "big three" is they will settle into a new norm as much smaller companies employing far fewer people than they used to. Don't count on them leading a comeback for Michigan as they have in the past. While it was only a matter of time before people started buying cars again, I think people will be much more cautious this time around. I think they'll buy smaller and keep their cars longer whicn means lower profits and sales for the auto companies (all of them) to divide among themselves.

While the auto industry will get better as we settle into a new pattern of car buying, it will never be half of what it once was and those of us out of jobs because of the downturn will still be out of jobs. Unfortunately, when they start hiring, they don't hire the 50 something year old engineers they let go, they will hire new grads. Things will look up for them. The rest of us are still SOL.

My advice is, if you're young enough to go back to school to get a new degree, do so and use it to get a new job. If you're older, you have my sympathies. If you don't have a particular skill that someone wants, good luck finding a job.

I have a masters in chemical engineering and a master of arts in teaching (majors in chemistry and math with a minor in physics) and I'll be lucky if I ever see a job paying over $40K again and I know it. It's time to accept that the rules have changed.

To those of you who are young, take care of yourselves first. Don't count on pensions or long term employment. Both can disappear overnight. Save while you can. You may not get a second chance.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 03-26-2010 at 11:00 AM..

Old 03-26-2010, 01:11 PM

137 posts, read 331,681 times
To further the above well stated topic, over 700 degreed engineers were on hand at Novi last week, to bid on 25 openings GM had. We are no way near any form of recovery. Add to the fact that many Americans will NOT buy a new GM or DCX vehicle due to the ownership split between Washington and the UAW. I hope it gets better....I'm tired of looking for a job.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:15 AM

87 posts, read 232,051 times
Diversify, diversify, diversify!!! Michigan will never come out of their doldrums until we learn that the auto industry will never be like it was 50, 30, or even 20 years ago!

Michigan pushed away a lot of newer production/assembly factories since the 80's with their (OMG!) business taxes. If Michigan was such a good place to build your business, why did business build in states other than Michigan?

Old 04-04-2010, 07:19 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnabit9 View Post
Diversify, diversify, diversify!!! Michigan will never come out of their doldrums until we learn that the auto industry will never be like it was 50, 30, or even 20 years ago!

Michigan pushed away a lot of newer production/assembly factories since the 80's with their (OMG!) business taxes. If Michigan was such a good place to build your business, why did business build in states other than Michigan?
If we can elect the right Governor...Rick Snyder....Michigan will be fine...Rick Snyder...

Old 04-04-2010, 09:45 AM

258 posts, read 1,000,160 times
Big Ditto, "moldman"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
If we can elect the right Governor...Rick Snyder....Michigan will be fine...Rick Snyder...

Old 04-04-2010, 03:23 PM

693 posts, read 2,258,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Auto sales are up, even for the Big Three. The worst may be over for US automakers – and for Michigan.

Rising auto sales could rescue Michigan, Big Three / The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com
Disagree on a very deceptive article, and while anyone can tout "growth" or "rising sales", we still have hundreds of thousands of auto workers out of a job, and a nation shedding massive amounts of jobs monthly.

A good sign? Not really...and while any job growth is positive in nature, it would take many years of growth at this rate to replace all of the jobs lost in the restructuring of the big 3. The auto industry contributed to the nearly doubling of Michigan's unemployment rate in the last 10 years, and to say that a rapidly changing and sluggish industry will "save" Michigan is insanity. Michigan needs new ideas, bright entrepreneurs, and residents who are willing to get active in their communities.

Am I a pessimist? No, Its almost certain some "growth" will occur in the automotive sector, but loosing 300,000 jobs first and replacing them with 2,000 a year is sure to leave our glass half empty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: