U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2010, 09:53 AM

15 posts, read 45,280 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of relocating to the Southfield, MI area and needing advice on where to really begin looking. My job would be in Southfield and my fiance would either be in Belleville or Chesterfield and also we'll be travelling to the Toledo area quite often to visit family. Our income is around the $90,000 year range and we'd be looking more to rent for a while before buying. We do not have school age kids living with us so schools are not an issue for us right now. We like having the convenience of town nearby (target, grocery stores etc) so an extreme rural area would not work well for us.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 11:07 AM

866 posts, read 4,081,901 times
I would look into the northern stretches of Southfield, which is 10 Mile Rd and up.

Lathrup Village is also a nice municipality seperated from Southfield, you could probably find an average suburban house to rent here for not very much. The schools are not very great, but you said that didn't matter at the moment.

Other nice cities, which are a little bit more expensive, are Franklin and Bingham Farms, you'll probably have a harder time trying to find a house to rent in these two cities, but look around.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:09 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,138,487 times
If it has to be Southfield I'd agree with the other post. I'd look around 10 mile and make sure your west of telegraph. I grew up on a street called McAllister. It's a dead end road but has big lots and is still a in a nice area. It's on 10 mile between Beach and Telegraph. Still the nicest area in Southfield IMO. 10 between Telegraph and Inkster area.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:11 PM

Thanks so much for the info!!! It doesn't have to be Southfield but within commutable distance of the towns mentioned .. Southfield, Toledo and then either Belleville or Chesterfield as we're not sure which town he'll work in. We're okay with commuting a bit to be in a better neighborhood. I've never even been to Michigan and although he's from Toledo area he doesn't know a lot about this area. Thanks again!!

Old 04-04-2010, 07:53 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,138,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chux_girl View Post
Thanks so much for the info!!! It doesn't have to be Southfield but within commutable distance of the towns mentioned .. Southfield, Toledo and then either Belleville or Chesterfield as we're not sure which town he'll work in. We're okay with commuting a bit to be in a better neighborhood. I've never even been to Michigan and although he's from Toledo area he doesn't know a lot about this area. Thanks again!!

Honestly I would never even consider moving back to Southfield myself. It's not the same city I grew up in. Anywhere you live in Oakland County the taxes are pretty high. The taxes on my dad's house were out of control before he passed away. There are better places to live. I'd suggest visit, looking at where Bellville is located I'd suggest a nice neutral spot like Novi. Still in Oakland County but much better place to live than Southfield. Short commute for you and him as the freeways all join together right there. Maybe even the north part of Northville.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:01 AM

970 posts, read 2,830,588 times
Well, Southfield is looking pretty shabby these days, especially south of 10 Mile. If I were you, I'd look in the upscale areas around Southfield, such as Franklin and Lathrup Village. Very beautiful, primarily old-money communities. Good schools, very low crime. I'd look into it if I were you.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:08 AM

I have looked at both Lathrup Village and Novi and they both look like good options. I haven't looked into Franklin but will do that now. Thanks again

Old 10-03-2011, 04:49 PM

2 posts, read 7,281 times
I am a residnet who lives in Southfeld, in the area referenced above, and I hope you consider Southfield. You will find in most areas, a well maintained and friendly community. I am not sure what the other respondents reasons are for never living in Southfield but it is a lovely place to live particluarly in the 10 mile and above area. Great place for ayoung couple with no children. I am a physician and can live anywhere I choose, I love my community. There are great summer activities and a vibrant night life in and around southfield. It is a family town that is diverse and a lot of fun. Take a look and compare areas.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:55 AM

3,186 posts, read 7,448,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chux_girl View Post
I have looked at both Lathrup Village and Novi and they both look like good options. I haven't looked into Franklin but will do that now. Thanks again
I thought you wanted to be 10 miles from Southfield which Novi would not be. What about Birmingham? Franklin is nice too and then you have Bloomfield Hills near.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:56 PM

3,119 posts, read 7,747,260 times
Chesterfield is on the northern edge of Lake St. Clair, right? And Belleville is down by airport near where I-94 and I-275 intersect. Are those the two locations you are referring to?

If so then you really need to figure out which specific location your husband is going to work at because ideally you would want to live somewhere in between Southfield and those two locations. It's a long commute from Southfield to either location.

If he's going to work in Belleville then consider Farmington Hills since it has good freeway access to I-275 and it's an easy commute from Farmington Hills to Southfield. It's also a solid middle class city with a good mix of upper middle class. Novi would also work.

If he's going to work in Chesterfield then it's a little more complicated. It seems like having good freeway access to I-696 would be essential but the inner ring suburbs that host I-696 aren't so great. You might consider living in Troy, which would give each of you a bit of a commute. The commute from Troy to Southfield probably sucks, though.

You should know that Southfield is a primarily middle class/lower middle class black city. It suffered a large white flight back in the mid-late Eighties. The same thing can be said for its neighbor, Oak Park.

Finding a nice place to live with reasonable commutes shouldn't be a big problem once you know where your husband is going to work. Do note that the city of Pontiac is a crime-ridden ghetto (like an enclave of Detroit in Oakland County.) What's weird is that the wealthiest city in the Detroit area, Bloomfield Hills, is right next door to Pontiac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan