Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 12:26 PM

204 posts, read 1,505,578 times

Advertisements

2nd in the state? (Source: Oceana Herald Journal). I also read they have some of the worst roads of any county. I am a former fourteen-year county resident. There are many other economically agriculturally dependent counties in Michigan. Can anyone shed any light on why Oceana has been hit so much harder than others by the economic downturn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 12:36 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
I live in Mason County and am in Oceana County several times every week. Their roads are no worse than any others in this area. In fact it is one of the better maintained Counties road wise. Their plow drivers are on the ball, and the general repair is actually very good considering the economic crisis going on at every County level right now.

As for the Public assistance levels being high, I really don't know what the answer would be. Could it be that they are talking about during the winter months when all the Tourists go home and the seasonal jobs dry up, or are they reporting long-term assistance?

Old 04-04-2010, 12:53 PM

Default Oceana County Roads

The following source was located by Googling "Oceana County Roads."
Specifically,
Pothole haven? Oceana County tops bad roads list

By Eric Gaertner | Muskegon Chronicle

November 16, 2009, 10:41PM

"WEST MICHIGAN — Don’t expect Oceana County, which is No. 1 in the state in producing asparagus, to celebrate its new top-ranked status in another category with a festival.

Based on a report released this week by a group representing road builders, Oceana County is No. 1 on the list of Michigan counties with the highest percentage of federal-aid miles of roads in poor condition in 2008. The report by the Michigan Infrastructure and Transportation Association rated 66 percent of the 805 federal-aid road miles in Oceana County as “poor.”

Old 04-04-2010, 01:02 PM

That report is looking at results from 2008. They have resurfaced almost all of the freeway that runs through Oceana County last summer (which was quite rough in places.) They also really did a lot of patching and resurfacing last year all over the County. I doubt they would rank as high this year as they did back in 08'.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:12 PM

With the above being said, I don't know how long before they fall back to the bottom rung for road conditions. They announced in this Wednesdays paper that the Road Commission is going to be laying off 5-7 guys for the Summer to save money. That is going to have an impact on the improvements they made last year.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:18 PM

Default Oceana County Roads /Public Assistance

"Oceana County had a 32.8 percent general public assistance rate for 2009, tying it with Clare County for the second highest public assistance rate in the state. The state average for 2009 was 22.4 percent."

The above quote is credited to the Oceana Herald-Journal a few weeks ago. The author obtained his source from the state, I'd assume. Therefore I'd have no idea "how" the state (methodology) figured Oceana County was the second highest for public assistance.

Please refer to my original thread post. I am requesting opinion on why public assistance is so incredibly high.

Concerning the "road" data: I simply provided Mlive as the source. If they used less than current facts, (as you stated), perhaps the MLive should be reminded to print only current data, although the article was published less than six months ago.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMOGAJAD View Post
"Oceana County had a 32.8 percent general public assistance rate for 2009, tying it with Clare County for the second highest public assistance rate in the state. The state average for 2009 was 22.4 percent."

The above quote is credited to the Oceana Herald-Journal a few weeks ago. The author obtained his source from the state, I'd assume. Therefore I'd have no idea "how" the state (methodology) figured Oceana County was the second highest for public assistance.

Please refer to my original thread post. I am requesting opinion on why public assistance is so incredibly high.
I gave what I thought might be the reason already so I won't repost that here. It was in the paper on March 24th if I remember correctly. I don't recall much of the article, did it give what they thought the reasons were for such a high number?

Quote:
Concerning the "road" data: I simply provided Mlive as the source. If they used less than current facts, (as you stated), perhaps the MLive should be reminded to print only current data, although the article was published less than six months ago.
It was probably the newest data set they had to work with. 6 Months ago would put it late 2009 and it takes a while to compile raw data into a usable format generally, so the data they used was probably newly released. They were still working on long stretches of the highway at that time as well. They just put up the barrels again for more work down that direction, but I don't know if it is in Oceana County or just over the line into Muskegon County.

Old 04-04-2010, 03:10 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Maybe it's the drug problem there that have so many living on welfare handouts.

Oceana County struggles with teen drug problem | Muskegon News Archive - MLive.com

"There is a big problem here," said 20-year-old Brittany of Rothbury, a recovering drug addict. "Everyone thinks Muskegon is so bad, but they sell the same stuff here as they do there. ... Weed is a big deal everywhere, but prescription drugs you can get from just about anyone."

Obviously when you need your own money for drugs you need government giving you your food and other basics.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:27 PM

Default Oceana Drugs / Public Assistance

Yes, I'm familiar with that article. In fact a few months back I actually wrote the Sheriff to comment on all the drug busts in Oceana and surrounding counties. I am a former resident from 1966 - 1981 and even back then there was plenty of illicit drug activity, which is unusual for a conservative farming community. It appears things have gotten worse. But drugs may only be a symptom of the cause the county economy is at rock bottom.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:38 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,850 times
Public assistance is a major industry in northern Michigan. There are no good paying jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan