Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 03:13 PM

850 posts, read 1,898,619 times

Advertisements

people without kids should not comment to this poster.... that was rude.

anyhoo, trust your instincts....you know your daughter. is she a good swimmer? if so you probably don't have to worry about drowning (like the previous poster). is the friend a nice girl? i guess if something were not right about the situation something would stick out. if something does stick out, go with them or even maybe do a drive by to check up (without anyone knowing). maybe have your daughter call you halfway just to check in. nothing wrong with that. if nothing sticks out that seems concerning i'd say let her go and trust that everything will be ok.
having a child in these modern times is scary sometimes, its not like it used to be. if anyone thinks its an easy task then i'd say they aren't paying much attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 05:18 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,729 times
I totally understand your dilemma. My only one is also 10 and now wants to have/go to sleepovers. For the past year I have not allowed her to go to s/o unless there was a large group 3 or more same aged girls. Like bday party. I always hosted the individual girl s/o. The thing is the girl who my daughter spent the most time with... Well to me her parents did not watch her as well or close as I do my child. They have other children so it maybe that I am overprotective but when I have to tell the girls it is time to go home and it is DARK not almost dark but the sky is black and the parents feel comfortable letting their daughters 6 and 11 walk around the block instead of driving them. Well that doesn't give me verygood confidence that my child will be watched as close as I want her to be.
Now my daughter is 10 and I feel more confidence that if she feels uncomfortable snd she knows right from wrong and has cell to call anytime I have just yesterday allowed her to s/o there.
You have to follow your gut and err on the side of caution. I can't remember many parents who cry and regret watching their kids too close.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:38 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia819 View Post
My eldest daughter is turning 10 next month, and she is to the point where she wants to have sleepovers, etc, with her friends. Her best friend, up to this point, is a little girl who lives across the street whose mom I've known since I was her age so I don't have a problem letting her go to her house without me.

However, last year a new family moved in a couple houses down and my daughter really likes spending time her little girl. She wanted to go into the girls house to play with her doll house, so her mom came over and introduced herself. She was friendly and seemed normal enough. She's divorced, has custody of her daughter, no men in the house, christian (I know that doesn't always mean much), and her daughter is home schooled.

Now my daughter wants to go to her friend's birthday party with her grandmother and father at a local campground that has an indoor pool. I know where the campground is and have been there before. I briefly met the grandmother who is going to be supervising the swimming, and she gave me her cell phone number and her friend's father's name and cell phone number. She told me what they're going to be doing and when they will be back.

I guess my question is how much should I know about my kids' friends' parents? I want my kids to have friends and do things with them, but I worry about letting them go places with people I don't really know that well. How to be protective without being over protective?

Go with your gut. Usually ends up being the most accurate indicator.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:57 PM

14,108 posts, read 2,774,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia819 View Post
My eldest daughter is turning 10 next month, and she is to the point where she wants to have sleepovers, etc, with her friends. Her best friend, up to this point, is a little girl who lives across the street whose mom I've known since I was her age so I don't have a problem letting her go to her house without me.

However, last year a new family moved in a couple houses down and my daughter really likes spending time her little girl. She wanted to go into the girls house to play with her doll house, so her mom came over and introduced herself. She was friendly and seemed normal enough. She's divorced, has custody of her daughter, no men in the house, christian (I know that doesn't always mean much), and her daughter is home schooled.

Now my daughter wants to go to her friend's birthday party with her grandmother and father at a local campground that has an indoor pool. I know where the campground is and have been there before. I briefly met the grandmother who is going to be supervising the swimming, and she gave me her cell phone number and her friend's father's name and cell phone number. She told me what they're going to be doing and when they will be back.

I guess my question is how much should I know about my kids' friends' parents? I want my kids to have friends and do things with them, but I worry about letting them go places with people I don't really know that well. How to be protective without being over protective?

The chances of something happening to your daughter are greater with the people you do know that well, not the people you don't.
Child Molestation: How To Stop Child Predators and Molesters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: