Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 12:40 PM

275 posts, read 440,081 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the southeast, in the downriver area in Taylor. I've lived on the west side, in Grand Rapids. I've lived in northeastern Michigan, in Onaway and Ocqueoc. I can honestly say that when living in each of these areas I didn't put in a whole lot of time thinking about what what may or may not be going on in another region of the state.

Do people really do this? Just my opinion, but it feels to me to be kind of highschool-ish. Kind of like "We've got spirit, yes we do! We've got spirit! How 'bout you?!"

Dave

Old 11-01-2010, 09:44 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,442,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I didn't know that Michigan was segregated, then again, I haven't lived there for 40 yr's.......and time does change things.
I think it is kind of segregated because when you take away Detroit, there's not so much difference between the sides - everyone has their Big Lake that's close by, everyone has their farming area and towns - that makes for little reason to drive all the way over to the other side. People tend to go north or south more than east or west because when you're escaping the summer heat you head north, or to travel out of Michigan you head south.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:20 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,348,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think it is kind of segregated because when you take away Detroit, there's not so much difference between the sides - everyone has their Big Lake that's close by, everyone has their farming area and towns - that makes for little reason to drive all the way over to the other side. People tend to go north or south more than east or west because when you're escaping the summer heat you head north, or to travel out of Michigan you head south.
IMO, I'd say the cost of gas, or the cost of living for that matter, would keep someone closer to home...at least it does for me. But again, that's just me.

Nowhere on the Michigan forum have I heard anyone claiming that their turf of Michigan is better than another.

I think that it's been clearly stated by different posters in different parts of the state, that every section of Michigan has it's own(different) uniqueness ,that balances out with the rest. Whether it's Natural Beauty, Outdoor Recreation, Privacy or Convenience.
Different storkes for different folks. It all turns out to be "The Love of Michigan"
My respect to all my fellow Michiganders.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:05 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,862,649 times
I live in the middle of the state, and allthough I would love to live near any great lake, I have to say its pretty nice being able to go to the east side, or the west side in about the same amount of time. I love Lake MI. and all those great towns everywhere along that way...but I also love Lake Huron and all the great towns up that way, so I guess middle of the state is perfect for me. However....I will be moving north...which is waaay better then here in the middle.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:29 PM

915 posts, read 1,493,148 times
Ok - grew up in K-zoo, live in Metro Detroit now.

I've noticed the whole "west-side" - "east-side" thing, but it's mostly with the political people that I know here because neither side doesn't like the influences that the other brings to the table. And they use that as a means of trying manage power struggles - well, the head of this committee is from here, so we need someone from here to be in this position....

Currently, I'm "mentoring" a "native" West Michigander about life in the area because I, too, had problems adjusting to life in this area and can relate to the experience. The pace of life is faster and the politics/general attitudes are so different here.

I don't travel back and forth often, but my friend travels "home" all the time because that is where everyone in their family is - except for them. I must admit that it is fun to be the "crazy Detroit driver" once I pass 94 & the 69 interchange going towards Battle Creek. It's hilarious that I'm a slow-poke on the "east-side", but I'm some sort of speed demon on the "west-side!" and my driving doesn't change.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:35 AM

62 posts, read 115,965 times
actually i think people associate west michigan with grand rapids too much. kalamazoo, my hometown, is a whole other animal from grand rapids. less dutch, less religious influence, more democrat-leaning than the rest of the west side of the state (below traverse city). i like the ann arbor-ypsi area alot but east of there in dearborn and wayne its way to crowded and id never really want to live there.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:20 AM

271 posts, read 661,687 times
I guess it depends which part of the east and which side of the west. In the northern half of the mitt, west seems a lot more crowded and developed and faster way of life, in the east it seems quite a bit more sparse and slower. The northeast is probably the closest thing to the UP without crossing the bridge. I'm here because I was born and raised here, I prefer the east side.

Go south in the big city area and it seems reversed, Detroit area is the fast lane and if I had to choose a bigger city I like GR.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:32 PM

9,436 posts, read 10,709,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman76 View Post
I guess it depends which part of the east and which side of the west. In the northern half of the mitt, west seems a lot more crowded and developed and faster way of life, in the east it seems quite a bit more sparse and slower. The northeast is probably the closest thing to the UP without crossing the bridge. I'm here because I was born and raised here, I prefer the east side.

Go south in the big city area and it seems reversed, Detroit area is the fast lane and if I had to choose a bigger city I like GR.

Your right the east side is quieter. Anything north of I-69 really. The thumb and the northeast are very quiet very laid back and much cheaper. Some of Michigans most isolated towns are in that area. Look at Bad Axe in the thumb, or the little towns along m-65 like Whittemore, Hale or Glennie. Atlanta Michigan also comes to mind. Eastern Michigan is by far the slowest paced part of the state. Only the southeast part of the state is city life, the rest of eastern Michigan is very quiet.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:02 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,348,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Your right the east side is quieter. Anything north of I-69 really. The thumb and the northeast are very quiet very laid back and much cheaper. Some of Michigans most isolated towns are in that area. Look at Bad Axe in the thumb, or the little towns along m-65 like Whittemore, Hale or Glennie. Atlanta Michigan also comes to mind. Eastern Michigan is by far the slowest paced part of the state. Only the southeast part of the state is city life, the rest of eastern Michigan is very quiet.
As I've said, I'm from the NW part of Michigan, near the little finger.

I've never been in the thumb, but I would really like to see some pictures of the area(s) you mentioned.

Can you post some pics on...

Pics of Spectacular Michigan..?

Old 11-10-2010, 09:06 PM

9,436 posts, read 10,709,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
As I've said, I'm from the NW part of Michigan, near the little finger.

I've never been in the thumb, but I would really like to see some pictures of the area(s) you mentioned.

Can you post some pics on...

Pics of Spectacular Michigan..?
I wish i could, but I dont have a working digital camera or way to scan pics in, sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan