Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 09:25 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2010 View Post

I did have one weather question though. Would you say the winter in A2/Detroit is similar to Chicago or worse?
It's about the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 09:28 AM

470 posts, read 1,155,546 times
No offense...but I can't believe that you actually FOUND a job in Michigan.
I bet a lot Michigan natives that had to move were PO'ed when they read that...LOL

Old 05-30-2010, 09:35 AM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus View Post
No offense...but I can't believe that you actually FOUND a job in Michigan.
I bet a lot Michigan natives that had to move were PO'ed when they read that...LOL
Quite happy that some folks are doing well, actually.

Let's hope this trend continues.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:11 PM

4 posts, read 9,392 times
We are mainly looking for a smaller town with good schools. Saline, Chelsea, and the West side of A2 are kind of our target areas. We are still learning where is nice and where to avoid. I will know a lot more in a few weeks.

In regards to my job, I'm very fortunate to have a skill set that is in very high demand that you cannot go to school and learn. They were unable to find a qualified local candidate from what I was told. Hopefully the state and local governments can try to recruit new businesses to come there, but its tough considering most people want to live on the coasts or sunbelt, not the rustbelt. I have lived all over and am willing to give it a try. We liked what we saw when we visited.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:06 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Dexter is also a good option. Plymouth is great. South Lyon/Lyon Township is pretty nice. Northville is another great town that is real close.

All of these have great schools and low crime and are terrific places to raise a family. Most have neat old fashioned downtowns.

Tecumseh is also really neat, but it is a bit of a drive to A2.

Michigan has more coast than almost any other state. Alaska has more, Texas might, and California maybe.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:50 AM
YAZ

Tom,

Chelsea would be my first choice off of your list, then I'd look at Superior Township, which is just a 'lil north of A2.

Lots of nice 'lil towns in SE MI.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:18 PM

364 posts, read 877,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyl4rk View Post
Chicago is colder and it gets more snow than SE MI.

Yes, a lot of people are leaving MI but I would bet that most of them would rather stay. If you have a job, it is still a great place to live.
In the winter, Chicago is slightly colder and windier than southeast Michigan, but actually gets LESS snowfall than Detroit. Chicago averages 38" of snow per winter and Detroit averages 44". Ann Arbor unofficially averages 50" or so. In the summer, Chicago gets slightly hotter than southeast Michigan. While its probably just an anomaly and not a change in climate, both areas (NW IL and SE MI) have been seeing snowier than normal winters and more comfortable summers the last few years.

The above is all about the lake MI influence. However to the casual observer who doesnt check weather statistics, the difference would be hardly noticeable (though if you do pick Ann Arbor or NW of Ann Arbor, you may notice the increase in snow).

And I agree...if you have a job, it is an awesome place to live. Ann Arbor is the #1 college town in the country (that may or may not be your thing).

Old 06-09-2010, 01:30 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,168,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michsnowlvr View Post
In the winter, Chicago is slightly colder and windier than southeast Michigan, but actually gets LESS snowfall than Detroit. Chicago averages 38" of snow per winter and Detroit averages 44". Ann Arbor unofficially averages 50" or so. In the summer, Chicago gets slightly hotter than southeast Michigan. While its probably just an anomaly and not a change in climate, both areas (NW IL and SE MI) have been seeing snowier than normal winters and more comfortable summers the last few years.

The above is all about the lake MI influence. However to the casual observer who doesnt check weather statistics, the difference would be hardly noticeable (though if you do pick Ann Arbor or NW of Ann Arbor, you may notice the increase in snow).

And I agree...if you have a job, it is an awesome place to live. Ann Arbor is the #1 college town in the country (that may or may not be your thing).
Definitely second that. If you're into the college-town atmosphere, Ann Arbor / East Lansing are two of the best areas in the midwest. However, the winters are hard to put it mildly.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:29 PM

19 posts, read 95,451 times
I live in Ann Arbor. I relocated to Michigan from beautiful South Florida because I found a very good job in Ann Arbor, better than any job offer elsewhere... so yes, people do move to Michigan for great job opportunities! Congrats to you on your new job!

My brother-in-law works for Visteon and his office is in Visteon Village. He and his family (wife and 3 kids, ages from 7mos to 7 years) live in Ann Arbor and love it, and they are currently moving to the Scio Township area (essentially right next to Ann Arbor proper).

The Ann Arbor area is great, lots to do and lots for families. Housing is more expensive than other areas, though. But the amenities of the city are obvious, especially with the university atmosphere and green spaces.

Roads all over Michigan are a mess (especially compared to where I came from in Florida... no potholes anywhere in Boca, but here in Michigan they are everywhere and they are car-swallowing!). It's a fact of life in this climate (both weather and economic).

Speaking of weather, I also happened to live in Chicago for several years before I lived in South Florida (I've been kind of transient!). Michigan and Chicago are pretty comparable. Chicago may be slightly more temperate due to the effect that Lake Michigan has on the weather, but when it's cold, it's cold! I haaaate winter, I am a warm-weather person through and through, but I deal by taking trips back to FL frequently. Dealing with winter is the biggest challenge for me about living in the north (and I grew up here).

Good luck!

Old 07-26-2010, 06:40 PM

3 posts, read 5,798 times
Canton has a lot of larger sized (3 or 4 bedroom) homes for rent. It's not as charming as other places, but very safe and family-friendly. We live there and are very happy. It might be a good place to start until you get to know the area better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan