Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 08:35 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times

Advertisements

I was lucky growing up. My parents both loved the State and wanted all of us kids to know all about where we lived and what was available. My earliest memories are traveling around the both the UP and the entire Lower. Part of it was because Dad I think was born with a combination of wanderlust and a love of history. Even trips to Iron Mountain, Detroit, Covert, Escanaba, etc... helped filled his desire for travel, and he always had to dig into where we were going so we could see something interesting. We also traveled all over the US, and by the time I was 15 I had been to 75% of the States. Both Mom and Dad always showed us the best things. Maybe not the prettiest, or the most glamorous; but always something worth learning and remembering.

Our trips "up North" were probably different than most. Born and raised in the Ludington area most of my childhood we tended to go where the Tourists didn't go. We saw enough of them during the Summer weeks we didn't want to spend the week-ends or vacation time with more of them. We would go to the most out of the way places and really have a blast. Most places we went I doubt 95% of the residents of MI have been to and most probably haven't heard of.
Like some of the little lakes between Muskellunge Lake and Grand Marais on the dirt road that follows the Lake Superior lakeshore. Carry a canoe in and be the only ones on the lake all day long fishing and relaxing.
Poking around the old Air Field by Raco (before some of the building were being used again in the late 80's) and learning about the German POW's that were held there during WW2 by some elderly ladies who ran a small store there and got to know some of the prisoners when they went out on work details.
Standing by the Neebish Island Cut and watching the freighters pass so close you can watch the crew members on deck, maybe even talk to them. I would have tried talking/yelling over to them, except Dad forbid us to try. He always said "You never distract a man while he is working on deck." so we always watched and took photos, and only waved if they waved first.

Somehow managing to get us a working ride on the USCG buoy tender the "Buckthorn" out of the Soo on one of it's runs setting the channel marking buoys in the Spring. A long day that I will NEVER forget. Going "upbound" through the locks and working at the junction of the St. Mary's river and Lake Superior. The guys were great and they worked hard. A wet cold job that needs to be done and a nod to those still out there doing it every year.
Looking around the other "Black Eden" that hardly anybody knows about anymore. Everyone has heard about Idlewild I think, but few remember Woodland Park in Newaygo County (even though they both were still popular in the early 60's).

Just a few of my Northern Michigan summer memories. After decades spent combing every corner of the State I still have more to see and more to do. Now though, I am bringing my own family with me on my wanderings and trying to pass along some interesting tidbits about our great state to my own kids. Also trying to educate my DW on her new home state. She loves it here over the Northeast and the other day while watching another beautiful sunset over Lake Michigan she just sighed and said she has never been in an area she loves more than here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 06:26 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I was lucky growing up. My parents both loved the State and wanted all of us kids to know all about where we lived and what was available. My earliest memories are traveling around the both the UP and the entire Lower. Part of it was because Dad I think was born with a combination of wanderlust and a love of history. Even trips to Iron Mountain, Detroit, Covert, Escanaba, etc... helped filled his desire for travel, and he always had to dig into where we were going so we could see something interesting. We also traveled all over the US, and by the time I was 15 I had been to 75% of the States. Both Mom and Dad always showed us the best things. Maybe not the prettiest, or the most glamorous; but always something worth learning and remembering.

Our trips "up North" were probably different than most. Born and raised in the Ludington area most of my childhood we tended to go where the Tourists didn't go. We saw enough of them during the Summer weeks we didn't want to spend the week-ends or vacation time with more of them. We would go to the most out of the way places and really have a blast. Most places we went I doubt 95% of the residents of MI have been to and most probably haven't heard of.
Like some of the little lakes between Muskellunge Lake and Grand Marais on the dirt road that follows the Lake Superior lakeshore. Carry a canoe in and be the only ones on the lake all day long fishing and relaxing.
Poking around the old Air Field by Raco (before some of the building were being used again in the late 80's) and learning about the German POW's that were held there during WW2 by some elderly ladies who ran a small store there and got to know some of the prisoners when they went out on work details.
Standing by the Neebish Island Cut and watching the freighters pass so close you can watch the crew members on deck, maybe even talk to them. I would have tried talking/yelling over to them, except Dad forbid us to try. He always said "You never distract a man while he is working on deck." so we always watched and took photos, and only waved if they waved first.

Somehow managing to get us a working ride on the USCG buoy tender the "Buckthorn" out of the Soo on one of it's runs setting the channel marking buoys in the Spring. A long day that I will NEVER forget. Going "upbound" through the locks and working at the junction of the St. Mary's river and Lake Superior. The guys were great and they worked hard. A wet cold job that needs to be done and a nod to those still out there doing it every year.
Looking around the other "Black Eden" that hardly anybody knows about anymore. Everyone has heard about Idlewild I think, but few remember Woodland Park in Newaygo County (even though they both were still popular in the early 60's).

Just a few of my Northern Michigan summer memories. After decades spent combing every corner of the State I still have more to see and more to do. Now though, I am bringing my own family with me on my wanderings and trying to pass along some interesting tidbits about our great state to my own kids. Also trying to educate my DW on her new home state. She loves it here over the Northeast and the other day while watching another beautiful sunset over Lake Michigan she just sighed and said she has never been in an area she loves more than here.
Learning at an early age to be inquisitive, to take the road less traveled, was a gift given that holds no price. I learned the same way, to seek out the places barley on the map. I accelerated my quest based a lot on the longings of my Father . Living the life He wished he had lived was always my goal....... Had Google been around for them, can you imagine their expansion ? Maybe , maybe not...we will never know.
Whats important is you are passing it on , I can only wish I has the same opportunity to do so as you....".Where do you want to go next after the game, Disney World ?."..No ", said the Son , " I want to See MY Michigan, its waiting ". Those are words worth wishing for. Good Luck.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:39 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Your exactly right right Darstar. I didnt start traveling and seeing Michigan till about 4 years ago, and I couldnt believe what I had been missing. Before I had visions of traveling outside of Michigan for vacations, but now I have no desire whatsoever to see anything else. I want to see every part of Michigan, and explore all her islands.
A lot of the prespective we get comes from whats popular, or most common, not everyone is a born traveler. I always remember the Ad folks saying. " Just outside Chicago , is a place called Illinois". So true that a Place so huge takes all the air away from the less traveled.... Same can be said for Michigan, outside of Detroit and Grand Rapids., even more so. Greater Michigan is a gift just waiting to be discovered...get out there and do it !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan