Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 10:01 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,896,967 times

Advertisements

Isle Royale has always intrigued me to the point where I need to go. I am wondering if anyone here has ever been, and whats it like? I have seen pictures that are just awe inspiring, and I want to go pretty badly because it has to be one of the most amazing places in the U.S with Lake Superior on all sides, and over 400 islands to explore. Seeing pictures of some of the lakes on the island with towering pines all around just has me wanting to go there more then anything! This is another reason why I love Michigan...just so many places to go, and not nearly enough time.Any info?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 01:08 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,210,895 times
You can search for random trip blogs, there are some out there. I think backpackers and particularly kayakers that paddle and camp their way around the island probably get the most out of it. I'm to out of shape for that myself and would have to stay at the lodge and do day walks.

ticks (http://www.isleroyalewolf.org/overview/overview/ticks.html - broken link)

Good info on the other links of this website, start with overview.

Me personally, knowing that only 1/3 of the mammals that live other places live there and not having the kayaking or backpackong ability I'd stick to exploring the UP which I haven't done much of. Maybe you have, I can certainly see the appeal. I wonder if there are boat tours that take you around the island?

Last edited by Giesela; 04-25-2010 at 01:19 PM..

Old 04-25-2010, 10:16 PM

809 posts, read 1,949,786 times
The wolf packs have decreased considerably but moose numbers up. From what I have read and heard from others it is truly a memorable experience. If you want to swim the lakes bring an extra salt shaker along.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:34 PM

693 posts, read 2,257,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Isle Royale has always intrigued me to the point where I need to go. I am wondering if anyone here has ever been, and whats it like? I have seen pictures that are just awe inspiring, and I want to go pretty badly because it has to be one of the most amazing places in the U.S with Lake Superior on all sides, and over 400 islands to explore. Seeing pictures of some of the lakes on the island with towering pines all around just has me wanting to go there more then anything! This is another reason why I love Michigan...just so many places to go, and not nearly enough time.Any info?

I have been several times, 1998, 2003, 2005. The trip will begin with either booking a ferry, either out of Hancock, or Copper Harbor. I have taken the ferry out of Copper Harbor every time, it runs late May through early September. The worst trip I have experienced was 15ft seas and gale winds, with most everyone aboard puking the entire way! That was late August 98, when it was snowing the morning I left Copper Harbor. So, if you ride the ferry you really never know what to expect, except that you will be on a boat for 4 hours getting there

There is also (back in 2005 I only knew of 1) float plane that chartered into Isle Royale, but it is usually booked years in advance.

Once you arrive there, you feel as though you've stepped back into pre-historic times, it is deafening quite, and the stars at night are like nothing you can imagine. If you hike the Island (I have only hiked a limited part of it), it is about 40 miles from Rock Harbor, to Windigo, on the south point of the island.

The northern part of the island is intensely rugged with cliff rocks and white pines, with small pristine inland lakes. There is a ridge that runs in the center of the island, with small areas of grass land, but mostly the island is thickly forested with cliff outcroppings. You'll hear wolves at night, but never see them, but you'll see moose for certain.

You can also take tours that leave from rock harbor on boats that go to remote parts of the island to visit early pioneer mining shafts and Indian settlement remains. There are also fishing charters for lake trout (some of the best wild fish you will EVER taste). I was lucky enough to stay a week each time, and wished I could have stayed for a month.

It has gotten more crowded each time I have gone, I am hoping the national park service starts enforcing a limit to the number of visitors allowed, as foot traffic has started to take its toll.

If you want to go, i would advise planning no less than 1 year in advance, but the wait will be well worth it.

Last edited by MittenDweller82; 04-25-2010 at 10:43 PM..

Old 04-26-2010, 05:51 AM

Thanks Mitten, you sure are lucky to have gone so many times! Sounds amazing and right up my alley!

Old 04-26-2010, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perferator View Post
The wolf packs have decreased considerably but moose numbers up. From what I have read and heard from others it is truly a memorable experience. If you want to swim the lakes bring an extra salt shaker along.
Actually I was reading in my local paper Sunday the moose heard is down from 530 to 510 and the wolf population has been cut in half. Either way, sounds like you are assured of seeing a moose or two if you go, which is something I really want to see. I know they are in the U.P, but a little tougher to spot.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:25 PM

4,276 posts, read 5,930,607 times
Default I went once, in 1996

I was surprised by the number of hikers we encountered on the trails. Probably every 15 minutes our group would either meet or pass another group of visitors. We hiked 50 miles in 6 days on the Island, carrying everything with us on our backs, and saw less than 25% of the Island.

Other surprises included:
  • All campgrounds that are close to shore have picnic tables at each campsite.
  • All campgrounds have permanent primitive toilets (no need to dig cat holes along the trail for personal relief). Considering the number of visitors, this is a very good thing!!
  • All campgrounds had Adirondak shelters for use by hikers, but these fill fast!!! Plan on using a tent most nights, it is a luxury to find a shelter open.
  • Water is easily found for filtering to use as drinking water, but be careful to not disturb the lake bottoms. A single cloud of fine silt from the lake bottom will clog your filter and leave you without water!
  • Campgrounds close to shore are very crowded and noisy. Surprisingly similar to camping at a KOA! You need to hike the ridge and stay at inland sites to avoid crowds.
  • Boaters from Wisconsin/Minnesota have only a 30 minute voyage across the lake to get there. Large boats with noisy engines, noisy generators, noisy radios, noisy televisions, noisy A/C systems, noisy drunken owners. Did I mention these day-trippers pretty much ruin the experience for everyone? Another good reason to stay inland.
Beautiful rustic wilderness and very unpredictable weather.

The day we arrived we camped at Rock Harbor.
On Day 2 we hiked to Daisy Farm along the Greenstone Ridge. A killer of a hike because all packs were still at maximum weight and it rained all day - horizontally!
On day 3 we hiked to McCargoe Cove.
On day 4 we hiked to South Chickenbone Lake, a short day that we all desperately needed.
On day 5 we hiked thru Daisy Farm to Three Mile camp ground.
On day 6 we hiked to Rock Harbor and caught the ferry to Copper Harbor for a hot water shave and a motel bed. Heaven!

http://www.lgai.com/matthew/images/Isle%20Royale.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by MI-Roger; 04-27-2010 at 05:03 PM..

Old 04-27-2010, 08:44 PM

9,466 posts, read 10,793,341 times
Ive always wanted to see Isle Royal, but not sure im ready to go that primitive. My idea of camping is backing the 28ft travel trl into the site, plugging in the 30 amp service and getting the AC going right away so I dont get hot. I know the real purist granola bar folks just laugh about people like me but I enjoy being outdoors without the uncomfortable part of it. Get a good campfire going, have a beer or two, cook some burgers and dogs. That is the way I like things. If I could see Isle Royal without having to sleep on the ground, eat granola bars and freeze at night I would go. I imagine the scenery is unreal. Its gotta be one of the prettiest places around.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:34 AM

4,276 posts, read 5,930,607 times
Default There is always the Lodge at Rock Harbor

Not as fancy as the Lodge at Yellowstone by a wide margin (unless they have upgraded it) but motel beds, hot & cold running water, and a restaurant for dining($$$). I believe a number of Lodge Visitors take short treks, camping one or two nights only, along the leeward shore. This would explain why those campgrounds (Three Mile & Daisy Farm) which are closest to Rock Harbor are so crowded.

I actually forgot one stop on our trip. Day #5 terminated at Moskey Basin, Day #6 terminated at Three Mile, and it was Day #7 when we returned to Rock Harbor.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Ive always wanted to see Isle Royal, but not sure im ready to go that primitive. My idea of camping is backing the 28ft travel trl into the site, plugging in the 30 amp service and getting the AC going right away so I dont get hot. I know the real purist granola bar folks just laugh about people like me but I enjoy being outdoors without the uncomfortable part of it. Get a good campfire going, have a beer or two, cook some burgers and dogs. That is the way I like things. If I could see Isle Royal without having to sleep on the ground, eat granola bars and freeze at night I would go. I imagine the scenery is unreal. Its gotta be one of the prettiest places around.
We also have a 30 tt, and I will agree...there is nothing like being comfortable, and getting a good nights sleep to make the most of the next days exploring, but we did the tent thing before kids were born so actually it would be pretty cool to tent camp again for a week or so, especially if its Isle Royale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: