U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 01:23 PM

426 posts, read 1,216,284 times

Advertisements

Yet another Michigan company bites the dust. I was born here 44 years agao, and they have been around for as long as I can remember. So now what is left Kroger, Meijer, Super Wal-mart,and some independents. I will miss you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 01:42 PM

4,730 posts, read 18,453,945 times
Wow, I remember going there when I was young, though I haven't lived there for a long time.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:51 PM

3,490 posts, read 2,857,959 times
We are bummed. We just moved to Michigan last year and quickly realized that FJ's was our store. Now what do we have? Kroger-too expensive. Wal-Mart? Not really a store. Meijer's is too expensive as well. Sigh...They have a small chain here in Metro Detroit called Hollywood Market, dunno if it will be reasonable or not...

Old 06-11-2007, 03:14 PM

800 posts, read 4,108,946 times
I keep seeing the FJ's drop like flies by me here in Utica too.

I also read that Walmart is suing Whole Foods for buying all the Wild Oats Markets due to anti-trust issues...goodness me!

Lots of smaller companies that are Michigan-based are leaving...it's so sad, but then again, I'm leaving soon too...

Old 06-11-2007, 06:31 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,259,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
We are bummed. We just moved to Michigan last year and quickly realized that FJ's was our store. Now what do we have? Kroger-too expensive. Wal-Mart? Not really a store. Meijer's is too expensive as well. Sigh...They have a small chain here in Metro Detroit called Hollywood Market, dunno if it will be reasonable or not...
Which Kroger do you go to? The one near Beaumont? We go to the Kroger on Maple and Woodward. The prices are reasonable and the quality was significantly better than the FJ's on Coolidge.

We love Hollywood Market; the deli is amazing. I don't think it's more than a local chain with locations in downtown RO and on Maple near Coolidge. You might also want to check out Westborn Market for fresh vegetable and stuff like that. We also go to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods once in a while. The biggest ripoff is Market Square on Southfield and 14 Mile.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:22 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,558,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathys View Post
some independents. I will miss you.
Buschs! in Ann Arbor, western burbs, and Rochester Hills.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Buschs! in Ann Arbor, western burbs, and Rochester Hills.
I've also seen Buschs out in Ortonville, but not around here.

It's a seperate post, but thank's Cato for the advice. I didn't know there was a Trader Joe's here! Be still my heart! Where is it?

Old 06-12-2007, 08:22 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,750,504 times
We have a Country Market where a Farmer Jack's use to be in Saline. We also have a Busch's. I found the Fj while the short time it was here, wasn't well kept up. Kinda dirty.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:34 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,259,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
It's a seperate post, but thank's Cato for the advice. I didn't know there was a Trader Joe's here! Be still my heart! Where is it?
It's on the east side of Woodward just south of Catalpa. I don't know how or why, but certain things there are much cheaper, like Kashi cereal.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:59 AM

Thanks Cato, I will check it out! Also, my wife just talked to the employees at our local FJ this morning (Campbell and 12 Mile) and they say they are being taken over by Hollywood Market, which will make 2 of the same store right around the corner from each other. Maybe they'll shut down the other one on Main in downtown RO, but I hope not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan