Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 08:56 PM

6 posts, read 11,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_lady View Post
From what you've said, you can leave without legal repercussions. If what you want is to be out, do whatever you can to get out. And that might include taking whatever job you can find - GASP - even a part-time job!
If he gets a part time job then he loses any claim to any unemployment benefits. Aka, we'd be losing 800 a month to gain 700 a month. Considering you're other advice would be to "pay higher rent", we'd be sunk. And I can't get a job because we only have one car, and live where work isn't. ( No metro either.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabondc2c View Post
Your landlord can treat you this way if you let him treat this way. If you don't want to be treated this way, leave. Frankly, you moved into an unsafe environment and there were many warning signs it was such. But since you don't have a lease, you can "just leave in the middle of the night," as another poster said.

How do you expect to live on your own if you or your boyfriend don't have jobs? If you are choosing to limit your income, you have to accept a lower standard of living to keep your expenses low. You said your father lives 4 miles away, live with him. Pay him the money you would give to your slumlord. At the very least get jobs; part-time work is still work.
I said before that there weren't warning signs. He put on a good front for us until we were moved in and settled.

I don't know if any of you have heard, but unemployments at 15+%. I attend school full time. Neither of us have anywhere else to stay, so we have no other option. My father is in a bad situation himself, and I cant burden him with my problems.

Part time work is crap work. They don't pay you enough to live on. We would both have to have part time jobs, which means we would have to get another car, and i would have to take driver's ed, etc which would only add to our monthly expenses.

I'm not asking for personal advice, I'm asking for legal advice.

Apparently no one on this forum has ever been poor, since many of the comments are like "LOL just deal with it, get a job! Spend more money!"

Old 04-28-2010, 09:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,375 times
protip: 12%+ unemployment rates do not allow one to 'just get a job lololol'

and if they were so poor they can't pay $30 early what makes you think they can pay $100-200 more?

Old 04-28-2010, 09:27 PM

9,437 posts, read 10,717,276 times
You say you are a college student, so Im assuming there are other rentals in the area. I would move out at 12am, and he wont know your not there untill the next rent payment does not show. He is a slumlord, and from the sound of it is breaking the law. You could turn him in, but I think it would be easier on you to move out and just forget it. I dont know where you are at in the state, but 400$ a month can be had in my area (central Mi). Id start looking tomorrow, you deserve better. I was a young college student once, and my wife and I lived in a tiny tiny apartment for 200 a month in GR. It was tight, but still clean and safe. Just because your young does not mean you should ever have to tolerate that kind of nonsense. Even young poor college students have rights, dont let this dirtbag continue to use you.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:47 PM

374 posts, read 755,347 times
I second Danielj's advice. You can do alot better. You may have to live in a smaller place for awhile, but make sure you have a lease so this doesn't happen again.
Good luck to you

Old 04-29-2010, 02:44 AM

2 posts, read 3,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reigin View Post
I said before that there weren't warning signs. He put on a good front for us until we were moved in and settled."
You saw the apartment before you moved in, yes? You knew its condition. When a landlord doesn't want a lease, that's shady.Moving in and not having electricity is another big sign.

Quote:
I don't know if any of you have heard, but unemployments at 15+%. I attend school full time. Neither of us have anywhere else to stay, so we have no other option. My father is in a bad situation himself, and I cant burden him with my problems."
You can still have a job as college student. That's unfortunate about your father.

Quote:
Part time work is crap work. They don't pay you enough to live on. We would both have to have part time jobs, which means we would have to get another car, and i would have to take driver's ed, etc which would only add to our monthly expenses."
Work is work. There is no public transportation at all? You couldn't carpool? Maybe taking driver's ed would be a better first step than full-time college. And despite how it is sold, college isn't always the best course for every person under every circumstance.

Quote:
I'm not asking for personal advice, I'm asking for legal advice."
Personal advice and legal advice are intrinsic in your case. You have made some poor decisions that placed you in this situation - the biggest being moving into a place without lease. That severely limits your legal recourse. It would probably a better use of your time to address how you are in the predicament in the first place.

Quote:
Apparently no one on this forum has ever been poor, since many of the comments are like "LOL just deal with it, get a job! Spend more money!"
Yes, we have been. We are aware that life presents challenges and that one has to sacrifice and hussle. You'll be stuck in these circumstances until you and your boyfriend make fundamental changes. Instead of focusing on how you have been wrong, try to see how you can do right for yourself. Best of luck.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:37 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,460,589 times
Move out and next time check out the apartment more beforehand.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:40 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,460,589 times
I think it's fine to go after slumlords and shut them down, but then where will you find ultra cheap places to live with your boyfriend? Or get a new boyfriend who can put you up in better style since you don't work.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think it's fine to go after slumlords and shut them down, but then where will you find ultra cheap places to live with your boyfriend? Or get a new boyfriend who can put you up in better style since you don't work.
It doesn't matter if you check an apartment before hand, if they are putting on a show they can fool you.

And, since when is love a temporary thing? Oh i know, we don't have money so I don't love you anymore. I love that guy over there, he has money.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:05 PM

550 posts, read 2,046,377 times
Everyone is giving you sound advice!

Since you live someplace without a lease you have NO real legal abilities. That is a big mistake to move in without a lease-they are meant to protect you...and the landlord of course....

The people here really are not trying to be mean, but honestly the only true choice you have with your situation is to find a different place to live...if you report him the authorities are bound to have you move out so the building can be brought up to code or deemed unsafe.....so really....spend some time online on craigslist or wherever and find another place for a similar amount of money and move out as soon as possible!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan