Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 04:26 PM

63 posts, read 280,278 times

Advertisements

We're planning to move to Michigan in 3 years and are trying to narrow our search to at least a region to house hunt in.

Here's what we're looking for:

+++Lower peninsula....north of a line from East Tawas to Pentwater

+++An undeveloped, quiet, area. Lots of wildlife. Did I mentioned undeveloped? <g>

+++Affordable acreage (we have horses)

+++Low crime

+++Within driving distance to a town with an "artsy feel" would be a plus, but not at the expense of the unspoiled, natural area that we are looking for.

We just checked out the Cadillac area......and Manistee and Ludington. We plan to visit the eastern coast of the L.P. next summer.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and recommendations on what areas may have what we're looking for.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2006, 01:38 PM

15 posts, read 55,405 times
Why not look at Oscoda? It's not far from East Tawas and sits right on beautiful Lake Huron...the Sunrise side. Small town with an arts festival every year on the beach.

Oscoda is about an hour or less from Alpena, too. There is some shopping up that way and the drive up there is very scenic. If you like to canoe, Oscoda has some very nice canoeing. Hunting, fishing, fall colors...it's got all of that.

Old 08-07-2006, 02:02 PM

622 posts, read 2,709,617 times
I lived in Traverse City for 3 years, it is the best town in Michigan IMO. I would look at that surrounding area. I was born and raised in the U.P. so believe me, I know where to find the best unspoiled nature! Plus, Traverse City has a great artsy feel- I am an artist, too and I am very familiar with the art community there. Good luck!

Old 08-09-2006, 05:38 PM

Oscoda will definitely be checked out! We like to paddle (kayaks) so that's a plus for that area, too.

But Traverse City? We stopped vacationing there years ago because it seemed to be growing a lot. When a subdivision popped up in Empire we felt it was time to move on.... Also, T.C.seems far more expensive than other areas we've looked at. Hmmm. Maybe we should check out the region roughly an hour from T.C.

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions.

Old 08-10-2006, 12:00 PM

954 posts, read 4,377,746 times
Do I guess Detroit is out???

Good luck.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:27 PM

9 posts, read 43,902 times
I grew up in Muskegon and have moved back here after living in T.C. for 3 years and several years in Texas as well. T.C. was a greate place to live...but there is nothing like the beauty of a Lake Michigan sunset. For me there is no choice but to live on or near the lakeshore. If I were to have a choice of places to live I would first look at Arcadia:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...,0.054245&om=1

which itself is an "artsy" town and also happens to be close to Frankfort...host to at least 3 art fairs annually.

Old 08-11-2006, 04:10 PM

Yes, Detroit is out. <g>

Arcadia and Frankfort sound interesting. What sort of winter weather can we expect, say from Manistee up to Empire? And from that part of the west coast, moving inland, how does the winter weather change as you go towards Grayling?

Old 08-11-2006, 04:18 PM

Yes, Detroit is out. <g>

Arcadia and Frankfort sound interesting. What sort of winter weather can we expect, say from Manistee up to Empire? And from that part of the west coast, moving inland, how does the winter weather change as you go towards Grayling?

Old 08-16-2006, 10:26 PM

9 posts, read 43,902 times
The winters have been getting milder over the last twenty years, but it still comes a little sooner and lasts a little longer the farther north you go. I don't think there's too much of a difference otherwise. All of Michigan gets pretty well dowsed with snow all winter. The coastal cities generally get a little more snow due to the lake effect, but when the lake freezes over that stops. I've often seen the inland cities get hammered harder and again, that may be due to the unfrozen lake. Bottom line is that it is unpredictable. It gets cold and there's snow everywhere.

Old 08-17-2006, 02:58 PM

jomaco1, I've looked at zone maps (for gardening) and according to those there has been a change....with many areas now being zoned one number higher.

So coastal areas are gonna get more snow (lake effect)....are the temps more moderate on coastal areas due to a moderating effect of the big lakes? Meaning the center of the state will tend to be colder in winter?

We're not sure how far north we can handle the weather. We totally love the UP and we're pretty hardy types, but we've never seen a Houghton or Marquette winter. We are sure of one thing: we're getting out of this hot, humid southern Ohio summers that we HATE.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan