Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 03:49 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,453,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by v117a View Post
Maybe there is something wrong with me and my surroundings?
I just willfuly came back in 2006 to Detroit, Michigan from the Washington DC area.
In fact I love Detroit area. It seems that Detroit has more soul in it than Washington DC. The DC is too "official", but in reality there is no much fun.

I love Michigan nature, weather, Great Lakes. I go every weekend outside to Kensington Park to see these beautiful swans or spend time on beach on Lake Huron. There are no these disgusting ticks with Lime disease, like in the eastern states - you go outside on your backyard and then get them all over you.

Besides, Michigan has much more personal freedom compared to all these conservative states where you even cannot take a deep breath without someone's permission.

After reading this forum I have got on "Monster.com" and searched for "engineer" and has got 835 openings in Detroit area.
Also I have a lot of friends and relatives here. And I have a good job, all my relatives and friends doing good, have jobs and nobody is actually looking to leave Michigan.

I have been in many states and finally decided to come back to Michigan. And you can trust me: each state has it's own problems, every state looks beautiful only from afar.
Nice, level-headed post - there are several of us on here with similar sentiments. We came here from San Francisco in 2006 for similar reasons. Jeff on here did the same from SoCal. I've run into a number of families in the same boat, including some on our block. One would hardly know based on all the "Michigan is the Titanic," and "No jobs in MI" posts on here - misery loves company. My wife and I are gainfully employed in great jobs here in metro Detroit, as are both her parents. Her sister and husband are moving back to MI from TN to both take jobs in Lowell.

But to some, the glass is not only half empty, but totally empty and always will be now that MI is shifting away from manufacturing. You also get people who've already moved away joining in the shi^^ing session - that's the most charming part of all. Try to ignore the stench and enjoy the helpful posts that pop up once in a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 04:14 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
Nice, level-headed post - there are several of us on here with similar sentiments. We came here from San Francisco in 2006 for similar reasons. Jeff on here did the same from SoCal. I've run into a number of families in the same boat, including some on our block. One would hardly know based on all the "Michigan is the Titanic," and "No jobs in MI" posts on here - misery loves company. My wife and I are gainfully employed in great jobs here in metro Detroit, as are both her parents. Her sister and husband are moving back to MI from TN to both take jobs in Lowell.

But to some, the glass is not only half empty, but totally empty and always will be now that MI is shifting away from manufacturing. You also get people who've already moved away joining in the shi^^ing session - that's the most charming part of all. Try to ignore the stench and enjoy the helpful posts that pop up once in a while.
LOL, Cato. This is the Jeff he mentioned in this post. You know, what's funny is although I'm gainfully employed, we have been through so much since we have been to Michigan that's negative. (I just had a financially devastating day in court this week.) But I'm not gonna blame the state of Michigan for me hitting a bad patch! It just seems sometimes that's what posters on this forum do, blame all of Michigan for all of their problems!

The glass is not empty here in Michigan, and we are not on a sinking ship. It's a beautiful state with alot to offer. Welcome back v117a!

Old 06-21-2007, 06:39 PM

Do you guys smell something? Something stanks of bitterness.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:26 PM

7 posts, read 12,766 times
Default Moving Back To Michigan

Hi. All. I just wanted to thank all of you for posting your opinions. I grew up in Detroit, but left right out of high school due to no jobs (back in the 60's). It seems that Detroit has come full circle. I am living in California, but ready to retire. Although I own my home and also rental property here, both in very nice areas, it seems that the only way I will be able to afford my dream home is going back to my roots. I can't believe the homes there for sale under 500k, that would cost several million here. But having a nice home isn't every thing if the city is as scary as some say. I'm really tired of the California lifestyle and missing the miswestern type of people. I came back last year for a few days to look at real estate, and was shocked at all of the beautiful old homes that were boarded up. I do realize that one must be familiar with the neighborhoods though. I love the water, so I have been looking at property near the Detroit River -- both downtown area and Grosse Point. I thought that maybe it would be a good idea to purchase 2 to 4 units and keep one for myself on a trial basis. That way, the income from the other units will help with the mortgage. I found that even though the prices are cheap there, your property taxes are outrageous. That just doesn't seem to make any sense for your government to tax the struggling population like that. I really miss the snow and the autumn when all the leaves turn red and yellow. I miss all of the really beautiful old architecture you have there. I am a really young senior citizen and LOVE the outdoors. I just wonder if I could feel safe there. For those of you moving to Califorina, I really wish you the best, but wonder if you'll experience culture shock when you get here. I really don't know how people make it out here. Most of the people spend most of their pay checks on housing. I get $1700 per month on my rental units (westside of Los Angeles), which is under market rent, but I keep rents low to keep good tenants. The same apartment would probably rent for about $500 to $600 in Detroit (I could easily get $1800 to $2000 per month for them). Real estate is OUTRAGEOUS here. If I hadn't bought my hoome many years ago as I did, I would have run back to Detroit long ago. Well, thanks again for all of your opinions (both good and bad), and if anyone has any knowledge about Indian Village, West Village, or Grosse Pointe, near the water (up to 2 to 3 blocks away), please post your opinions. I like also an area that is highly culturally mixed. THANKS

Old 06-21-2007, 09:07 PM

37 posts, read 168,820 times
Default went to alabama !

My husband and I moved to alabama about a month ago ,there are jobs gallore and the cost of living is beyond cheap. We have lived in michigan our whole lives and are very close to our families this is the hardest thing I 've ever done. However the only other choice was to stay and lose our home and go on welfare, have no insurance and have to look our kids in the face knowing we could have given them better, no thanks !! Besides in my opinion I'am not staying in a state the betrayed it's auto workers ( my husband was a die maker for a tier one supplier nonunion ) I miss my family everyday and at times are very lonely however I can pay my bills every month feed my kids and live in a even nicer home than before ( my taxes are $700. year )Alabama (Huntsville) is the place to be.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,523 times
I hear you dentaigirl, we are moving to south carolina, things are booming here compared to michigan and they have slowed. their slow down is our boom time.
It is nice to be in a place that has an economy.
My family went to kansas city, that place has a great economy and you are not taxed to death. Michigan is loosing its best resorce, its people and keeping the ones is should get rid of.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppleganger View Post
Michigan is loosing its best resorce, its people and keeping the ones is should get rid of.
me is agreeing wid ya 100 pacent

Old 06-22-2007, 10:43 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times
Quote:
me is agreeing wid ya 100 pacent
LMAO! Did you see that post by "Cato the younger" before it got deleted? I literally laughed out loud. Someone's bitter! I think i'll check the IP address and see who it is.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:11 AM

The interesting thing to me is that it's obvious that the same people get censured but somehow re-register and make the same, tired pronouncements - as if you yell and scream enough a job will drop out of the sky or you will not be in North Carolina afraid to death that the 40 year old track coach might marry your 16 year old daughter. Perhaps they have a DHCP connection or this site doesn't block out by IP address? The other trick is to go to a public location like a library and switch computers.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:44 AM

52 posts, read 193,957 times
Do such jobs exist anymore with the Big 3?

Quote:
Yeah, MI has NOTHING* to offer.

*i.e. a turn-screw job with the Big 3 that will buy me a Corvette and beach home with my high school diploma just like it did for grandpappy and pappy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan