Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 10:52 AM

323 posts, read 1,131,719 times

Advertisements

The winters in Detroit are relatively mild compared to those in many other northern states. And I have noticed less snow and warmer temperatures in the winter over the past decade. Maybe it's just a natural weather cycle. I'd put money on Detroit being a destination again, someday, though the world could end before that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 10:00 PM

364 posts, read 877,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Its Northern Michigan that will benefit mostly . Detroit is way too humid and hot in the summer. One of the best things about the UP is the lack of humidity.
The last few summers have been gorgeous in Detroit...hardly any 90-degree weather. It is scaring me lol as we are now way overdue and summer is only a month away.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:08 PM

364 posts, read 877,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_lady View Post
The winters in Detroit are relatively mild compared to those in many other northern states. And I have noticed less snow and warmer temperatures in the winter over the past decade. Maybe it's just a natural weather cycle. I'd put money on Detroit being a destination again, someday, though the world could end before that.
I do fully agree that the weather goes in natural cycles. Also, as for Detroit being milder or colder, you can basically say anything north and west of Detroit (Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Fargo, ect) is somewhat colder than Detroit in winter, and anything northeast of Detroit (Cleveland, Buffalo, New York, Boston) is milder than Detroit. Its all about arctic airmasses getting modified by the waters of the Great Lakes.

However, I have to once again repeat, the "winters are less snowy" argument is something that generation after generation in every northern clime uses. Sort of like the old "used to walk uphill both ways in 3 feet of snow" joke. But it is 100% WRONG. Here are some facts:

~Detroit has weather records going back 140 years. The winter of 2007-08 and 2008-09 were the snowiest back to back winters on RECORD (beating the old record, 1898-99 + 1899-00 by 8 inches).

~The 2000s were the FIRST decade since records began in the 1870s to see 4 winters exceed 60 inches of snowfall.

Looking at cycles, the 1930s-1960s were a particularly meager period in snowfall for the area, in huge contrast to what grandpa and great grandpa might say. A significant jump in snowfall hit during the 1970s-80s, took a step back (but not to 1930s-1940s proportions) in the 1990s, only to return in the 2000s, with some very snowy seasons in recent years. Another thing increasing in dramatic fashion, is the occurrence of 20+ inch snowfall months. (Feb 2010, Jan 2009, Dec 2008, Mar 2008, Feb 2008 each saw well over 20 inches of snow)

Average snow per season, Detroit, MI
1880s- 47.3”
1890s- 42.7”
1900s- 46.3”
1910s- 39.7”
1920s- 46.1”
1930s- 32.9”
1940s- 27.6”
1950s- 37.8”
1960s- 31.8”
1970s- 45.6”
1980s- 45.2”
1990s- 37.2”
2000s- 45.3”

Old 05-08-2010, 08:25 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michsnowlvr View Post
The last few summers have been gorgeous in Detroit...hardly any 90-degree weather. It is scaring me lol as we are now way overdue and summer is only a month away.
Winter has returned to the Northern Tier...3" of white last nite and continues today....here in Marquette. Its 30F now....50 tomorrow they say.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:50 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
A lot of the weather problems are simply the fact that there are so many more people than there used to be. There didn't used to be millions of people in New Orleans, so obviously fewer people used to be affected by floods. Don't forget that the population of the USA is doubling every few decades so that any storm or earthquake is going to have more casualties.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:57 AM

The other thing you have to consider is the price of fuel. Who wants to hand over half their pay check just to stay warm? Or if someone is environmentally conscious would they leave a climate where there is little consumption of fuel resources so they can burn tons of fuel in the winter?

My heating bill is about $250 for the whole winter and my electric bills never get over $75 a month for a 2100 sq ft house. I prefer that and although I'm not some liberal environmentalist, I like living where I won't freeze to death.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:35 AM

I have an all electric house 50 per cent glass, on a mountain top overlooking Lake Superior. My electric bills can be as high as 400.00 in the coldest months, about 200.00 in the long spring, and less than 100.00 from June to October. No AC is needed, and remember, no other utility costs . Some places in the hot south ( Atlanta,Scottsdale for example) pay 200.00 a month just for water. AC can run more than that.....The cold ,snowy winter does balance out. Many people supplement with wood stoves and some ,that's all they use. People with natural gas have the extreams tempered in the winter, not an option for me.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:46 AM

693 posts, read 2,258,013 times
Will Michigan be a destination for the future? The biggest word in formulating this answer is FUTURE, as in very far in the future. No, I'm not a skeptic or a Mitten basher, I love Michigan, and I think the natural setting can sell itself, although before we can begin to re-establish our lost population we have some incredible challenges to overcome.

1. Image/Stereotype- We have unfortunatley a national stereotpye of being slow, ignorant, and behind most of the country. Which, in some aspects, is true we have inept leadership, and are virtually one of the last states to begin restructuring their economies.

2. Brain Drain/Population Loss- Keeping our college graduates is key to developing a new and solid industry base, regardless of what sector it may be in. As skilled and usefull as the aging baby boomer workforce is, unfortunatley many of the nations most innovative and succesfull companies are regrouping where all of the 20 somethings have migrated to (west, south, east). There needs to be a "reason" to lure people back to Michigan, and no water shortages in the west will not corall people to the great lakes as new technology is already being developed to filter ocean water.

3. Accepting the "new" economy- I think most of the substantial job loss has ended for Michigan, as we are on the bottom ebb of the national correction that is occuring. This means accepting new models of living, and for many small towns and cities, consolodation is the only way to keep services going. As population loss comes with the apparent struggles of tax revinue declines, and shuttering schools and government offices. This trend will continue untill Michigan's population loss slows or stops, and local governments have time to assess their needs (most of which will come after the 2010 census is processed).

4. Tourism, Our only savior- We sit on most of the fresh water in the world, have stunning scenery and amazing unique products in Michigan. The state needs a new campaign to highlight this so people who visit can see what Michigan is really about, as most people think Michigan=economic graveyard.

The results of the 2010 census will show a massive migration south and west, the problem will be luring those people back to the midwest who moved away for greener grass in the first place.

Do I think Michigan has bright future? Yes, but we are already behind the country in innovation, small business policies, and many other aspects. It will take the right combination of luring new in demand companies, new leadership, and retaining college graduates.

How long will all of this take? My gues is....check back in 2015 or 2020, we will be in high demand.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:51 AM

Tourism is the long term answer...for the most of Michigan.We must maintain ,preserve and protect out most precious access,...and promote it. We have the Great Lakes, an almost sleeping giant , we take way too much for granted..... The large population centers however must establish incentives for new industry, along with some downsizing as a reallity. The Mid South did it in the 70s- 80s without the skilled workers,and the empty plants, we can do it in the next five years, on the fast track. Michigan has the people, the natural beauty , and the will/work ethic. Concentrating on a specific sector, like Alternative energy , environmental innovation,( the new needs of the developing world ) is whats needed for that momentum to grab hold.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I have an all electric house 50 per cent glass, on a mountain top overlooking Lake Superior. My electric bills can be as high as 400.00 in the coldest months, about 200.00 in the long spring, and less than 100.00 from June to October. No AC is needed, and remember, no other utility costs . Some places in the hot south ( Atlanta,Scottsdale for example) pay 200.00 a month just for water. AC can run more than that.....The cold ,snowy winter does balance out. Many people supplement with wood stoves and some ,that's all they use. People with natural gas have the extreams tempered in the winter, not an option for me.
To me that's a lot of bills. I pay about $200 or $250 for my propane which lasts me the entire winter - gas water heater and stove and heat. And my electric bills have never passed $75 a month, often go down to $55. $0 for water but I have well water. I live in the SW. I can see why wages in Michigan would have to be so high - because with utility bills like that and the state income tax, you'd have to have a lot more income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan