U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 3,961 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to the Lansing area at the end of June and I know very little about where to look for a good neighborhood. I will be a grad student at MSU and my husband, a computer programer, will hopeful be working there. He has several good leads and has made contacts, but has not had an interview yet. I will be a teaching assistant at MSU while I am in grad school. We will also have our teenage daughter with us who will be attending Lansing Community College. I need help finding an area to rent in that is a good neighborhood with easy access to both MSU and LCC. We will only be bringing one vehicle with us at first, so my daughter and I will be using the bus system to get to school. I would ideally like something between MSU and LCC so either bus ride won't be too long or difficult. Okemos is very nice, but the apartments seem to be full of undergrads and a little pricey, plus it's a bit far to LCC. Wher would be a good place to look? I've talked to realtors about houses for rent and they seem to think I can be there to look at a house in an hour or so when I tell them I am in VIRGINIA right now. Between my daughter's high school graduation and our work schedules, we won't be able to come to Michigan to look for a place to live before we actually have to be out of our house here. I'm very nervous about renting a place without seeing it first, so I guess we'll have to wait until we get there to make a decision. We were in Lansing for a week in 2008 while I took a class at MSU, so we only know a little about the area mostly east of campus. Oh, we will also have two indoor cats moving with us.
Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 12:04 PM

7 posts, read 18,762 times
Sorry i didn't see this question sooner! Looks like you are here already. But for anyone reading this with the samer questions I will answer. The number one bus line in the State(!) is the #1 bus DOwntown Lansing to MSU. to Meridian Township Mall.
Anyone needing to use a bus will want to look along this Route (E. Michigan Avenue/Grand River Ave.) See Capital Area Transit Authority. There are afordable areas that have good rental housing all along this route (the east Lansing stretch is mostly high cost student rentals). Just north of Michigan Ave., east of Penn. West of I-496 in Lansing, there are many wonderful streets of single family houses, many that are rentable. For apartment living there are some good buildings sprinkled through the downtown and eastside.
Hope this was helpful.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:45 PM

28 posts, read 36,819 times
The downtown and oldtown are full of unique and historic homes. The lcc area is interesting also. These areas are close to everything and are well served by mass transit.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 916 times
Thinking about law school. The idea of relocating is scary, but law school is a must. We are a Muslim family, and my oldest is on the spectrum. She is high functioning. What neighborhood and school is best for a move to Lansing, Michigan.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:15 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,666,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunley2018 View Post
Thinking about law school. The idea of relocating is scary, but law school is a must. We are a Muslim family, and my oldest is on the spectrum. She is high functioning. What neighborhood and school is best for a move to Lansing, Michigan.
Okemos, Haslett, East Lansing public schools are all very good. They are large schools with large student populations and many course offerings. Williamston, Bath, DeWitt and Holt are a little smaller but may be a good fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan