Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 06:23 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Its never too late to rethink your piorites, now is it ? Marquette is the medical Capital of the U.P. second or maybe first largest employer in the County. ...Life is too short to compromise, Superior is calling you....can't you hear it ? The waves lapping the shore, the cool breeze invading all corners and wisking away the bugs and heat.. The rocks at your feet and at a distance, the towering pines and hemlocks wispering in your ear, come see, come be apart of , this part of....Pure Michigan.
Alright Tim Allen

I considered the UP.

Holland will do, but one day I'd like to get up there. The colder, the snowier, the better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 07:52 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Alright Tim Allen

I considered the UP.

Holland will do, but one day I'd like to get up there. The colder, the snowier, the better!
Not much colder than Holland, but snowier for sure, and friendlier.Those Dutchman are kinda cold and conservative, but do have the most money in the Bank ,more so than anyother county in Michigan.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:32 PM

I certainly wouldn't complain about hanging with the Finns and Norweigans though! ...and snow? That's my element!

Old 06-18-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
I certainly wouldn't complain about hanging with the Finns and Norweigans though! ...and snow? That's my element!
I bought a new Yooper cap at the store today, says" border patrol," W/a map of the U.P. and the words " 51st state"...says it all. Yooper caps are tradition up here, very Finish looking.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:14 PM

Haha :P I'd consider retiring up there or something, or even moving up there if I could find a similar position in the area. With the mining industry down it seems the remote sensing and GIS field would not be thriving, so that is doubtful :P

Old 06-19-2010, 09:54 AM

792 posts, read 2,324,532 times
To the OP: I think your first choice was a good one. Muskegon is not really a tourist town (yet), and it's not as pretty as South Haven or Grand Haven, but it has a big, beautiful, clean beach, and it's usually less crowded than the beaches at more tourist-oriented places.

There is a Holiday Inn in downtown Muskegon. It's near the harbor rather than the beach, but there is a trolley that will take you to the beach (a 10-minute ride), and the hotel is a short walk away from downtown attractions, including city parks, the Muskegon Museum of Art, another museum that has an eclectic collection of historical and scientific artifacts and displays (including a hands-on room for the kids), a theater, and yet another museum that is housed in a decommissioned WWII LST ship (they show classic movies outdoors on the deck in the summer). If that old LST isn't enough, There is also a naval memorial near the beach that has a WWII submarine and a coast guard cutter that you can tour. Michigan's Adventure is about 30 minutes from the hotel by car.

Muskegon also has a number of summer events, like Summer Fest (several days of national and regional music events, a carnival, a craft fair, and fireworks), Bike Time (a family-oriented motorcycle event), and Unity (a Christian music festival), and weekly outdoor concerts from local musicians, all of which take place within walking distance from the Holiday Inn.

Muskegon also has one of the last working drive-in movie theaters in the country.

So, in short, if you mainly want to hang out on a nice clean beach, but also want some other venues that you can take your kids to, Muskegon has a lot to offer.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Haha :P I'd consider retiring up there or something, or even moving up there if I could find a similar position in the area. With the mining industry down it seems the remote sensing and GIS field would not be thriving, so that is doubtful :P
Mining is on the way back, Empire is getting a new kiln ( lots of iron workers jobs), STS in Marquette is busy.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:11 AM

595 posts, read 761,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I wonder if this will become a trend if the Gulf becomes a long-term disaster.

I'd recommend the Traverse City area if it's your first time - you'll have beautiful beaches, the Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes, lots of terrain for views and such, and a nice, vibrant city / area to keep the kids entertained.

www.puremichigan.org if you haven't seen that one.
I lived in Holland for a year and loved it! Alot of people vacation there. They have public beaches, boats, alot of fishing and plenty of history. I have been to Muskegon plenty of times and would never vacation there.
Also you could go to Mackinaw Bridge, the Fort and take a boat across to the Island and ride bikes all along the shore. Plenty of shops and things to do, alot of history.
There is a place on the west coast called Whitehall, actually two small towns separated by a small bridge and they have a water park, Mich. Adventure and alot of coast in just a few miles.
All of these places have alot of bed and breakfast inns.
Actually if you just traveled up the west coast and spent a couple days here and there, you would have a blast. There are places to stop and climb to waterfalls. Grand Haven is awesome. Alot of sailing in this area and the scenery is breathtaking.
I have done this even driving to Florida through the east side of Alabama and hit old I-4. I had a blast going through all the small towns and finding the history and sight seeing.
Just to give you a few to look up, hope you have a blast wherever you decide.

God Bless,
Mercy

Old 06-20-2010, 08:57 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
I agree with Mercy, Been to Muskegon tons of times and would NEVER recommend it for a vacation spot. Not when there are many places very close that are better.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:50 PM

107 posts, read 357,036 times
Quote:
St Joseph is pretty warm right now, 66F. Wait till later this summer! It'll be well over 70 I guarantee.
I second St.Joseph.. Silver Beach rocks!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan