Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 03:07 PM

90 posts, read 188,449 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I live in Oregon and I have been seeing a lot of commercials on TV from PureMichgan travel. With all the negative I hear about Michigan and more so Detroit. It looks like a nice place to visit. I never knew that there are sandy beaches in Michigan. What are so must see and do's in Michigan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 03:22 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottInTheRain View Post
Hello everyone, I live in Oregon and I have been seeing a lot of commercials on TV from PureMichgan travel. With all the negative I hear about Michigan and more so Detroit. It looks like a nice place to visit. I never knew that there are sandy beaches in Michigan. What are so must see and do's in Michigan?
Michigan has some of the best sandy beaches around! I mean literally...some of the best sand...its amazing!
http://www.[blocked due to copyright reasons].com/north-...chigan-beaches
As far as must sees and do's...wow...too much to list!

Old 06-11-2010, 03:26 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Our Great lakes are our greatest asscet. Come and see Pure Michigan, a place with more shoreline than almost any state in the nation. That would be a great start, and while you are here sample a little of our other sites, our history, our friendly small towns and countryside.
Michigan is all about diversity, just outside Detroit and Flint, is the other Michigan, well worth the visit. The ads are telling the truth, fact is, its better than the ads, the fishing, the camping, the cities, big and small.... Then there is the U.P. a land unlike anyother...I would start there...on second thought, maybe it should be last, since everything else is a little less. ( for sightseeing and natural beauty). Whatever the case, Pure Michigan is just that, the top State in the Midwest for visitors.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:44 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,583,438 times
I called my insurance agent today to change my information and tell him that we are moving to Michigan (from SoCal) and the first thing he said was "I've been seeing those ads and it looks like such a neat place. I'd love to visit there someday, or maybe even move if the wife would have it. I'm so jealous of you guys!". That made me feel so proud and lucky to be the one going home

Old 06-11-2010, 08:25 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,850 times
The first question I have is, if you didn't know Michigan had sandy beaches, what the hell did you think surrounded the great lakes?

Old 06-11-2010, 09:25 PM

90 posts, read 188,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
The first question I have is, if you didn't know Michigan had sandy beaches, what the hell did you think surrounded the great lakes?
Not all lakes have nice sandy beaches.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Not all lakes have nice sandy beaches.
So true. Same goes for oceans ( our Great lakes are inland oceans). Take the Gulf Of Mexico and Fl. Panhandle white sand...quite impressive...for now anyway.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:02 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
The whole Western coast of the State along Lake Michigan is gorgeous and very sandy, with a lot of beaches, cool coastal towns and huge sand dunes scattered throughout. It's also a boaters paradise (second only to Florida for number of registered boats) so all the coastal towns are hopping in the Summertime.

If you want Southern California type beaches, try South Haven or Grand Haven. Like artists' colonies and creative towns? Try Saugatuck, Douglas and the Traverse City/Leelanau Peninsula area. The lakeshore area is also fantastic for biking.

As someone else said, too much to list, but hopefully that's a start.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
The whole Western coast of the State along Lake Michigan is gorgeous and very sandy, with a lot of beaches, cool coastal towns and huge sand dunes scattered throughout. It's also a boaters paradise (second only to Florida for number of registered boats) so all the coastal towns are hopping in the Summertime.

If you want Southern California type beaches, try South Haven or Grand Haven. Like artists' colonies and creative towns? Try Saugatuck, Douglas and the Traverse City/Leelanau Peninsula area. The lakeshore area is also fantastic for biking.

As someone else said, too much to list, but hopefully that's a start.
Come on now...you left out Upper Michigan !

Old 06-12-2010, 01:14 PM

550 posts, read 2,052,581 times
Here I will list some awesome things to do and see in Michigan. Oh and it is a pretty common assumption that there are rocky shorelines.....and grassy shorelines mostly.....not our beautiful quartz sand beaches!!!

* Lake Michigan Beaches - South Haven, Saugatuck, Holland, Grand Haven, Ludington...etc. huge sandy expanses, beautiful sunsets, amazing sand dunes, and waves sometimes that are surfable. Beachtowns - Pure Michigan Travel

* Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes National Lakeshore near Traverse City the entire area is BEAUTIFUL and quite the site! The Official Website of the Sleeping Bear Dunes Visitors Bureau

* Outside of Detroit, a very awesome museum and historical park The Henry Ford: America's Greatest History Attraction Home Page

* Michigan's State Park system includes acres of land on the great lakes as well as inland lakes great programs and historical areas such as virgin white pine stands Michigan State Parks - StateParks.com DNR - Department of Natural Resources

* Mackinac Island-in the Straits of Mackinac where Lake Michigan meets Lake Huron and where the Mackinac Bridge connects the two penninsulas an island where no motorized vehicles are allowed (with the exception of snowmobiles in the winter and a couple hidden emergency vehicles) where Fudge, bikes, and horses rule the land such a cool place to visit with tons to do in the area Greetings from Mackinac Island, Michigan

* While in the area the mackinac state historic parks are a MUST SEE Mill Creek, Fort Michilimackinac, and Fort Mackinac are all marvelous!!! Mackinac State Historic Parks: Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City Michigan: Special Event

* Lake Superior is a natural wonder in itself- the rugged beauty of its shoreline is magnificent.... part of which is the Pictured rocks national Lakeshore Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore (U.S. National Park Service) This includes amazing rock formations as well as the grand sable dunes...

* Also in the Upper Penninsula Tahquamenon Falls second largest (by water volume, third by size) east of the Mississippi river beautiful yearound! Tahquamenon Falls State Park and Campground, Upper Peninsula of Michigan

* The sunrise side still has beautiful beaches and water I grew up on the sunrise side near the straits of mackinac and we do have some wonderful underrated beaches! Lake Huron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

* Almost forgot one of my favorites: INLAND lakes!!! http://www.fishweb.com/recreation/fi...kes/index.html my favorite is Mullett lake

Okay those are all just a snipet of ideas of things that are must sees and dos in michigan...there are MANY more.......

Last edited by mofromcheboygankalamazoo; 06-12-2010 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: forgot inland lakes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan