Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2010, 11:24 AM

4 posts, read 5,630 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning on a week-long vacation to Mt. Boyne, Michigan this week (6/4/10). We are in our 60s, but not extremely mobile. We would like to do some sightseeing (lighthouses, historic areas), relaxing (nature), shopping, eating, and just generally have a fun, relaxing time. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 03:41 PM

902 posts, read 1,925,668 times
I used to vacation there years ago when I was a kid behind the mountain on Deer Lake , my father was born in Boyne but I haven't been there in years and I probably wouldn't recognize it today its been built up so much since my last visit . Have fun !

Northern Michigan Vacations | Boyne Mountain All Seasons Resort | BOYNE

Old 06-01-2010, 04:58 PM

550 posts, read 2,051,930 times
yay, Have fun!

Question, how far of a drive are you willing to go for day trips?

Many suggestions are sure to follow, but here is one of my favorites on that side of the state for a little sightseeing:

First drive from boyne to Harbor Springs-beautiful quant little town on the water...shopping etc.....from there get on 119....also known as the "tunnel of trees" BEAUTIFUL ride along the bluffs overlooking lake michigan....take it all the way to Cross Village and visit Legs Inn known for the eccentric decor and great polish food and perfect sunset views!!! just beyond legs inn are some wonderful sand dunes right on lake michigan and beautiful beaches.....bordering Wilderness State park.....i Love taking visitors here as you will see wildlife, amazing views, and wonderful surroundings!

M-119 (Michigan highway) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-01-2010, 06:17 PM

749 posts, read 2,771,034 times
Take the Ironton Ferry, just outside Boyne City, over to Charlevoix. See the lighthouse, beautiful beach, shops and cafe's The Earl Young homes are here to view as well. You can take a ferry from Charlevoix over to Beaver Island for the day.

Charlevoix - Earl Young Homes (http://www.charlevoix.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=76&Itemi d=1 - broken link)

City of Charlevoix - Pure Michigan Travel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironton_Ferry

Old 06-01-2010, 09:28 PM

809 posts, read 1,949,911 times
I live in Boyne City....great town, great area. No matter where you go you will enjoy your stay.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:23 AM

864 posts, read 1,719,920 times
Grew up in Boyne City -- great place to visit but it's difficult to live there now. I can't figure out how people can make a living there -- I think most of the jobs have to be state/government jobs. Lots of people on unemployment, disability, or collecting Social Security. Manufacturing has
left the area and construction has ground to a half after the housing bubble burst.

Good suggestion in the previous posts on where to go. BTW, don't call Boyne Mountain -- Mt. Boyne -- locals might get a kick out of it though. If you've never seen the Mackinac Bridge, take the extra drive up to Mackinac if you go up toward Harbor Springs.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:43 AM

809 posts, read 1,949,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
Grew up in Boyne City -- great place to visit but it's difficult to live there now. I can't figure out how people can make a living there -- I think most of the jobs have to be state/government jobs. Lots of people on unemployment, disability, or collecting Social Security. Manufacturing has
left the area and construction has ground to a half after the housing bubble burst.

Good suggestion in the previous posts on where to go. BTW, don't call Boyne Mountain -- Mt. Boyne -- locals might get a kick out of it though. If you've never seen the Mackinac Bridge, take the extra drive up to Mackinac if you go up toward Harbor Springs.
Construction is slooooowly picking up but that is more indicative of the season. Winter was horrible for the builders. From what I can see...and I am definately on the optimistic side.....it's the independant businesses that keep local folks local. We are doing everything we can to keep money here by utilizing local businesses. Boyne will survive.

We are enjoying a good tourist surge right now due to the beautiful weather. Lots of boats on the launches of Walloon over the weekend, Lake Chx was busy too.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:47 AM

Thanks for all your comments. I wish I had had them in advance, but we still had a wonderful trip. We stayed at Mountain Run and visited Boyne City, Petoskey, Traverse Bay, Mackinaw, and Mackinac Island. It is so beautiful up there and the weather, even though we encountered a bit of rain, was so nice compared to the heat and humidity of St. Louis. We would like to visit it again!

Old 06-16-2010, 04:48 AM

Any suggestions on a spring break trip for next year. I am a teacher and we are off toward the end of March. We are open to all suggestions...we are Bluegreen members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan