Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2010, 06:55 PM

16 posts, read 78,105 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone out there can help me with this. I'll try to tell my story to the best of my ability. Bottom line: I have a JGA 2C entry level seperation and want to know if I can ever re-enlist into the Air Force or enlist into another branch of military service?

Basically, I entered into Air force with a four year contract to be a firefighter. In about the third week of training, I was asked to go to the career counselor and he said that there were not many openings in the military fire service, so he was asking if i would do my second job choice as a mechanic. I told him that I really wanted to try firefighting, and was stubborn that I wanted to do it.

Looking back, this may have been why I was hazed...? Although I really do not know. All I know is during the fourth week of training, my TI failed all of my clothing drawer inspections and after that none of the other TIs gave me a chance. I feel, honest to God, like I was set up for failure. Like the system was rigged.

I passed all of my physical training with flying colors, but my initial ASVAB scores were low because I'm not reallly a solid test taker. Could probably score higher on it now, being that its seven years later. Since then, I've been working full time, moved to a different state, got an associates degree and have done some volunteer work. If they need to look at my resume in order to get a waiver, its ready and in good shape.

Any help/information would be awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 06:01 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor14 View Post
I was wondering if anyone out there can help me with this. I'll try to tell my story to the best of my ability. Bottom line: I have a JGA 2C entry level seperation and want to know if I can ever re-enlist into the Air Force or enlist into another branch of military service?

Basically, I entered into Air force with a four year contract to be a firefighter. In about the third week of training, I was asked to go to the career counselor and he said that there were not many openings in the military fire service, so he was asking if i would do my second job choice as a mechanic. I told him that I really wanted to try firefighting, and was stubborn that I wanted to do it.

Looking back, this may have been why I was hazed...? Although I really do not know. All I know is during the fourth week of training, my TI failed all of my clothing drawer inspections and after that none of the other TIs gave me a chance. I feel, honest to God, like I was set up for failure. Like the system was rigged.

I passed all of my physical training with flying colors, but my initial ASVAB scores were low because I'm not reallly a solid test taker. Could probably score higher on it now, being that its seven years later. Since then, I've been working full time, moved to a different state, got an associates degree and have done some volunteer work. If they need to look at my resume in order to get a waiver, its ready and in good shape.

Any help/information would be awesome!
I'm a career Air Force NCO. My initial thought is that you would have a better chance getting into the Army. The Army needs more people than the AF right now. Good luck

Old 11-28-2010, 08:41 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
With a re-entry code of 2C, you are barred from re-entering the Air Force. You would have to get the RE code upgraded. Otherwise, being an entry level separation, you can join any branch, the same as any new recruit. You don't fall under the "prior service" program until you reach 180 days of service. Since you did not reach the 180 days, you are considered "Previous service" which is different. However, a "2C" is a bar to enlistment.

Quote:
If they need to look at my resume in order to get a waiver, its ready and in good shape.
There is not even a waiver for a "2C" code- it doesn't even exist and is not possible for the Air Force. A 2C means, "INELIGIBLE TO REENLIST WAIVERS NOT AUTHORIZED AND WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED" The Army might take you... I dunno.

I find it hard to believe you were discharged over a locker inspection. Are you sure there is not more to the story? Perhaps they really didn't have an opening in Firefighting, and they told you that you HAD to take something else, since you refused, they had no choice but to send you home since there were no openings in your requested job? That would explain the "2C"... you were not willing to put the needs of the AF first.

By the way, the ASVAB score to enter is now a 50, much higher than the previously required minimum score of 36.

If you feel so strongly that the AF was rigged, and you were hazed, why do you want to rejoin?

Also, how old are you? If it was 7 years ago, you may very well be past the 27 year old cut-off anyway.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:37 PM

204 posts, read 1,505,265 times
There's no conspiracy, Victor14. The TI's and the "career counselor" didn't "have it out for you", you apparently failed to meet their standard. Having said that, seven years of life with the successes you mentioned (full time work, college) have you looking back? Move on, the military isn't for everyone, it sounds like you're doing well. I'm a twenty-one year retired AF MSgt and I don't have a degree...no sour grapes there, it's not a factor in my income (doing VERY well, thanks).

Old 11-29-2010, 10:56 AM

16 posts, read 78,105 times
I've been trying to figure out if there was "more to the story" for a long time. May never know. As I remember it, taking a second job as a mechanic was a suggestion but they never said that I had to take it or I would be booted out of the Air force. Some of the people in my flight were shocked when I told them I was being sent home. And it wasn't my locker, it was my clothing drawer. And we are not talking messy like I didn't take care of it. Maybe a few centimeters off, something like that.

I'm only saying that I'm not someone who wanted out of the Air Force, and it was all a very fast, strange, surreal experience for me. I think the Air Force just didn't want to invest into me and I only had two job choices, low ASVAB score, so they decided to do it the easy way for themselves, save the paperwork, and write me off.

Not saying that I want to join again for sure, just want to see what my options are. Maybe what happened is how it was supposed to be.

And at IMGAJAD: Yes, in the paperwork I missed the Air Force standard, but that is not to say there is favoritism and politics that go around behind closed doors. I will say, that back then, I didn't put up that big of a fight for my Air Force job and didn't know how to stand up to the Commander or my TI. Not exactly the environment that makes it an easy thing to do for a young man!

Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues