Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2010, 10:05 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,043 times

Advertisements

How does statue of limitations for debt apply when your home address was a APO address? I was in Korea, bought a pc from a shady company that dealt with military outside of the base. I paid off but they still saying I owe money (had paid it off after ETS). I was dumb and I am not sure I can prove payment as it was through a cashiers check. I searched but can not find out how statue of limitations apply. Anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 10:45 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
How does statue of limitations for debt apply when your home address was a APO address? I was in Korea, bought a pc from a shady company that dealt with military outside of the base. I paid off but they still saying I owe money (had paid it off after ETS). I was dumb and I am not sure I can prove payment as it was through a cashiers check. I searched but can not find out how statue of limitations apply. Anyone know?
If it was a cashiers check it can be researched by the financial institution and proven that you paid the debt. Otherwise you owe the debt and there is no statue of limitations.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:42 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,009 times
That's a good question. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Really- don't lose sleep over this.

If you paid it off, you don't owe the debt. However, third parties might not see it that way (credit bureaus/courts/etc)

It's unlikely they will sue you in a court over here in the US. If it's showing on your credit reports- it will vanish after 7 years from the original date of delinquency (according to the store).

Even though you had an APO address, the military would not let you use that as a permanent address...you must have a home of record- as in where you pay taxes. APO wouldn't work for that.

My daughter has run into problem after problem dealing with the locals outside Camp Humphreys....her cell phone bill was to be X but each month they debit her account over a hundred dollars. But she carries the blame- not them.

Military overseas especially need to be careful when dealing with local businesses. Thank you for your post.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:31 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
That's a good question. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Really- don't lose sleep over this.

If you paid it off, you don't owe the debt. However, third parties might not see it that way (credit bureaus/courts/etc)

It's unlikely they will sue you in a court over here in the US. If it's showing on your credit reports- it will vanish after 7 years from the original date of delinquency (according to the store).

Even though you had an APO address, the military would not let you use that as a permanent address...you must have a home of record- as in where you pay taxes. APO wouldn't work for that.

My daughter has run into problem after problem dealing with the locals outside Camp Humphreys....her cell phone bill was to be X but each month they debit her account over a hundred dollars. But she carries the blame- not them.

Military overseas especially need to be careful when dealing with local businesses. Thank you for your post.
Thanks, kinda how I thought. My home address was Ohio so I imagine the statue of limitations would apply by Ohio standards, which they have exceeded. I have researched my bank and since it was so long ago "they do not have record". As I used to work for them I want to believe them as I believe we kept those on record for 3 yrs or 5 yrs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues